Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

This is interesting re atheism

vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/24/all-in-the-family-not-for-atheists/?hpt=hp_t4

A new poll indicates that about half of Americans don't want an atheist in the family. Oh oh. In fact, atheists were the most stigmatized group in the poll.

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Interesting how?

Were you surprised?

Chaz
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

People shun what scares 'em.... :rolleyes: .

Chaz
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@federica said:
    People shun what scares 'em.... :rolleyes: .

I don't think it's fear.

I think people find atheists annoying. They shun what annoys them.

KundoInvincible_summerEarthninjaBunks
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    Interesting how?

Were you surprised?

Surprised that other minority groups (for wont of a better term) fared better than atheists.

Of course, there are so many VOCAL atheists that, I think, give atheism a bad name. Atheists can be very strident.

Kundo
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

God told me he doesn't believe in Richard Dawkins :D But don't tell my Psychiatrist that.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

said:

Of course, there are so many VOCAL atheists that, I think, give atheism a bad name. Atheists can be very strident.

I think that's a big issue. Even people with no particular beliefs are feeling nagged by militant atheists.

Kundoanataman
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Even people with no particular beliefs are feeling nagged by militant atheists.

@citta -- I agree. It's almost as bad as being nagged by other believers.

BuddhadragonKundolobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I agree, i think the vocal level of some impacts the group as a whole. Those who don't know personally any atheists, see the people suing schools to take God out of the pledge at every turn, and all the other similar things, that is what they think of when they think atheism. Nothing to do with their beliefs, but I wouldn't want to associate with a lot of those people, either.

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran
    edited June 2014

I'm sorry you feel that way. .. :( ..

I do and will support any legal means. Ever heard of captive audience?

Are you 'forced" tp participate or listen to things you don't believe in?
    My family and I are...all the time. In federal buildings....schools....

Nevermind....I'm off.....

Tosh

@Vastmind, all I can tell you is that in the school (and county) where I was principal, there was never anything religious mentioned other than "under God" in the Pledge, for which students were not required to participate or stand. But, on the other side, I had choral teachers who would insist on including Christmas CAROLS in the annual holiday concert till I put my foot down by bringing a Muslim parent in and asking my choral teacher -- face to face -- "Why are you making my Muslim daughter sing praise to Jesus Christ?" That solved that for all time during my tenure.

I am much more offended each year when I attend our annual HOA meeting and I have to sit through a Christian prayer, even though I consider myself Buddhist/Christian.

ToraldrisVastmindEarthninja
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Militant anything is annoying as hell. But maybe nothing changes without a minority group making spectacles of themselves. When I was little I remember my parents talking about 'womens' lib' with eye rolling and disgust. My father said "I'd rather kiss a horse than kiss a liberated woman!"

I have a friend on FB who splatters her wall with atheist memes. A lot of them are rude and insulting, however much I secretly agree.

My grandmother said once "Everyone believes in God!" and there might have been some truth in that -- not that everyone DID but that in general, folks made that assumption. Not anymore!

The annoying rudeness gets a good amount of attention, which is necessary for the idea to fledge and fly. For myself, I won't participate in what is rude or demeaning to believers but I'm deeply relieved and GLAD for Hitchens et al making idiots out of themselves for the sake of putting atheism out there and in the face of society.

ToraldrisVastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The way to end those arguments is to say, loudly "Well, I couldn't agree more...! Now, who's for a cuppa - ?!"

Kundolobster
  • This poll says a lot about the prejudiced against atheists. Sure, there's annoying atheists, but there's also fundamentalist religious groups. It's ignorant to judge an entire group of people based on the behavior of a few.

ToraldrislobsterCaptain_America
    edited June 2014

Well, I for one have an almost exclusive raft of atheist friends, and truth to tell, none of them behave in this way.

Anyone 'fundamental' and strident in their approach is going to attract resentment, hostility and resistance, no matter what their religious persuasion (including non-religious).

The main original point of discussion was to see the ratio of Americans who have, it seems, decide that all and any atheist is a persona non grata.
    Whether they are strident, militant fundamental loudmouths or not.

Vastmindoverthecuckoosnest
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

We like to take black or white sides to every single issue, no matter how many levels of gray there are.

Kundolobster
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Part of the problem is that for those who do not understand others' beliefs well, they tend to be swayed by what they hear and what is shoved in their faces most often is what the more strident members of belief groups say.

Kundo
    edited June 2014

Just a little background... The pledge did not start out with 'God' in it. It was later added....

http://www.ushistory.org/documents/pledge.htm

From the OP ...

“There is a stigma against atheism because there is so much misinformation about atheists,” Muscato said in an e-mail. “Atheists don't hate your god, we aren't evil, and we're nor immoral; we are simply not convinced that your god exists.”

....The reasons for this animosity toward atheists are multifaceted, he said.

For one, religion has been a major part of American culture since the country was founded, and many Americans continue to associate nonreligiosity with immorality.

Further, thanks to practices such as the Pledge of Allegiance, many Americans associate God and religion with patriotic values and atheism with being un-American.

ToshToraldrisoverthecuckoosnestperson
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I tell Christians I pray for them. And if asked how I do that granted that I am Buddhist so I tell them I pray to God for Christians and to Buddha for Buddhists. For me prayer is totally non-intellectual so it doesn't matter who I pray to presuming that I am not praying to a pile of dog shit or something.

Kundo
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    I am much more offended each year when I attend our annual HOA meeting and I have to sit through a Christian prayer, even though I consider myself Buddhist/Christian.

I know what you mean, but I find for myself, that I've become a lot more forgiving in those situations.

On the other hand I'm also a bit more circumspect about where I place myself. I don't live in Colorado springs because findamental christianity coloring the socio/political scene in ways id rather not endure. None my circle of friends or associates would offera prayer prior to secular affairs. But, if I find myself in such a situation, I just roll with it.

I save my umbrage for more impotant things.

@Vastmind said:
    Just a little background... The pledge did not start out with 'God' in it. It was later added....

I'm well aware of that.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited June 2014

@overthecuckoosnest said:
    This poll says a lot about the prejudiced against atheists. Sure, there's annoying atheists, but there's also fundamentalist religious groups. It's ignorant to judge an entire group of people based on the behavior of a few.

And yet, ALL people judge EVERYONE else who's different from them based on that criteria. Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, Pagans, Pastafarians, Kalathumpians - pick a group, you'll still get shit heaped on you from one of the others who is misinformed. Welcome to life.

Metta,
    Raven
    _ /\ _

lobster
  • Well yes, @dhammachick, there is prejudiced and judgement surrounding just about any group. I was merely pointing out that there tends to be a particular degree of misunderstanding surrounding atheism.

edited June 2014

@vinlyn said:
    I'm well aware of that.

Um...ok. I have no way of knowing what people do and don't know.

I was simply weaving in the OP with information. Cited information that was on topic.

I was not aware of it...not until my 20's. We were made to say the pledge, but never taught the history of it.

Hamsaka

Well yes, dhammachick, there is prejudiced and judgement surrounding just about any group. I was merely pointing out that there tends to be a particular degree of misunderstanding surrounding atheism.

And I was pointing out that it's not just atheism.

It's all perspective people. There are so many other more important things in the world to get butt hurt over than what other faceless and nameless people think about your beliefs.

We know hun... We're just chewing shit to see if it ever gets palatable....

Earthninjavinlynanataman
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

For most of my life I've been classified as an atheist, though to myself I've always been a "seeker of truth", and today it's "Buddhist+Humanist+Skeptic"... I understand that the primary issue here in America is separation of church and state. The atheists, militant and otherwise, who are speaking out are generally speaking out against encroachment of religion into government or public schools. IMHO they're right to fight for separation of church and state, though they could do with some PR! There are Christian organizations that are also on that side. We're of all stripes here in the States, and Christianity and/or the Christian God was never part of the arrangement here (the Constitution).

And yeah, atheists are largely demonized and misunderstood. Some of it they deserve (mostly to do with tone/approach), but not the vast majority. Even if they were polite about it, there are a lot of people that would still be offended by their very existence. People that can't contemplate that a category of human being can exist that doesn't believe in some higher power. I just shake my head, no clue where things are going or even where this sentence is... oh there it is, the end.

Vastmind
  • Oh, of course there are other issues that may be of more important, @dhammachick. Thing is, public opinion does inform the way a society functions. If we have a society that is misinformed and prejudiced against atheists, that will inform its choices surrounding them. Looking at this poll, there seems to be pretty widespread prejudiced against atheists. Any time there's widespread prejudiced, it's important to discuss that prejudiced.
    Quoth the article: "According to separate studies, atheists are more likely to face job discrimination, political pushback and general distrust."
    Maybe there are bigger fish to fry, but this is a fish, nonetheless.

Vastmind
  • zenffzenff Veteran

The question is – it seems to me – what my belief system says about people who disagree with that particular (my) belief system.

As a Buddhist I would see them as ignorant. Ignorance can be solved. It may take a couple of lifetimes or a couple of thousand of lifetimes, but in the end they will see that I (the dharma) was right. I have no problem with them. Maybe I can help them, or maybe not right now.

As an Atheist I would see people who disagree with me as naïve, irrational and hopeless. That could be why as an atheists I can be so annoying. I really feel superior, I guess.

As a Christian I can see non-believers as either still savable or not-savable. The savable I should be kind with. The non-savable people I keep away from me. (I actually was in a sermon where the reverent visualized this by keeping an imaginary dirty diaper far away from him and pinching his own nose. That’s how we should keep those hopelessly lost people away from us.)

That’s how I could maybe understand this poll.
    Atheists can have (and express) this superior notion about themselves. And that makes them the not-savable kind of people in the eyes of good Christian people. So they want to stay away from them.

HamsakaBunks

@overthecuckoosnest said:
    Maybe there are bigger fish to fry, but this is a fish, nonetheless.

A tiddlywink in the scheme of things. But, you go right ahead.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Polls like this tend to be pretty biased though.
    How many Americans were asked? What kind of demographics are we talking about here?
    What type of person answers these polls and what type has no answer?

I would wager that most polls are manipulated to show the pollers desired results.

KundoEarthninjaCaptain_America

Exactly ^^^

I just had a weird discussion with my neighbor. She's a fairly liberal Christian and knows I am Buddhist/Christian. We got to talking (and not for the first time) about various religions, and I brought up our HOA president saying a Christian prayer before HOA meetings, and that I didn't approve of it because there were probably Jews and people of non-Christian beliefs in our community. She thought they should just leave if they didn't like a prayer being said. Hmmmmm. And that maybe "foreign kids" who might be Muslims (for example) should go to a different schools so they wouldn't have to participate in Christmas pageants, etc., and also it wouldn't restrict "regular" kids from doing those religious things.

Sigh

Invincible_summer
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Vastmind said:

http://www.ushistory.org/documents/pledge.htm

From the OP ...

“There is a stigma against atheism because there is so much misinformation about atheists,” Muscato said in an e-mail. “Atheists don't hate your god, we aren't evil, and we're nor immoral; we are simply not convinced that your god exists.”

....The reasons for this animosity toward atheists are multifaceted, he said.

For one, religion has been a major part of American culture since the country was founded, and many Americans continue to associate nonreligiosity with immorality.

Further, thanks to practices such as the Pledge of Allegiance, many Americans associate God and religion with patriotic values and atheism with being un-American.

You beat me to it. There were a lot of comments about how the militancy of some as the reason atheists are cast out. I feel like the perceived association with immorality has more to do with it. Also, good point about the patriotism.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

Its always interesting to see the views of these issues coming from across the other side of the Atlantic.

Having lived through a period in the UK's history when a dogmatic, monochrome Christianity was the norm, at least was paid lip service to....
    And now living in age when Christians form a mocked minority in the UK, and cynicism and lack of positivity are ubiquitous, I would suggest that Americans are very careful what they wish for.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited June 2014

Apt.

JeffreypersonCaptain_AmericaVastmind
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited June 2014
    edited June 2014

^^^ Sadly, I doubt there will be a global, social media uproar.

"Mr Bala, a chemical engineering graduate, was forcibly committed to a mental institution, but was able to contact activists using a smuggled phone.

IHEU spokesman Bob Churchill said the group was concerned about his "deteriorating condition" and called for his "swift release".

• CittaCitta Veteran

The protest against Mr Bala's detention is being led in the UK by the Anglican ( Episcopalian ) Church.

• CittaCitta Veteran

The protest against Mr Bala's detention is being led in the UK by the Anglican ( Episcopalian ) Church.

• edited June 2014

@federica said:
    ...a raft of atheists

This is much more impressive than my 'colony of ants' or 'business of ferrets', although interspecies co-existence seems somewhat easier and less problematic- at least as far as the biscuit barrel is concerned.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@Citta said:
    Its always interesting to see the views of these issues coming from across the other side of the Atlantic.

Having lived through a period in the UK's history when a dogmatic, monochrome Christianity was the norm, at least was paid lip service to....
    And now living in age when Christians form a mocked minority in the UK, and cynicism and lack of positivity are ubiquitous, I would suggest that Americans are very careful what they wish for.

I look forward to the day, frankly. Well, not to Christians or anyone being a mocked minority, but to a more proper balance. It's only been in the last 30 or so years that Christians even VOTED in the states, they were apparently encouraged not to until the early 80's when the neo-conservatives bootstrapped American Christians into their voting base. Those Christians have been made fools of, have ended up voting to stop funding social services (health care, housing, food stamps) which are central elements of the Christian ethos -- taking care of the poor.

Toraldris
  • CittaCitta Veteran

We in the UK have little experience of that kind of Christianity..even when it was a major force the particular variety most prevalent actually led much social reform.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:
    The way to end those arguments is to say, loudly "Well, I couldn't agree more...! Now, who's for a cuppa - ?!"

I have never been persecuted by atheists . . . religionists all the time (bless them).

Agree with domineering certainty, have cup of tea, move on. Good plan. :wave: .

• I'm an agnostic with atheist leanings, i.e. I'm not quite sure what's really going on, I'm open to a satisfactory answer, but I doubt there's one out there.

I'll agree I share a good number of atheistic things on Facebook and such, and I've grown a bit more...I guess militant as time as passed as I see all these religious (vast majority of them Christians) people spouting nonsense about how God saved this person and God saved that one. At the very least, it bothers the hell outta me because the actual humans responsible for an act are disregarded in favor of God saving the bloody day. Example: Engine blows on plane, plane makes rough landing, all survive with minor injuries at worst. What do people say? THE HAND OF GOD SAVED HELPED THEM DOWN. Actually, it was the badass pilot with nerves of steel and years of experience that kept everyone alive. It's messed up to me. The most annoyingly religious people are the same that piss me off the most in other aspects. Being a pretty good liberal, I find that these Christians I most despise are also conservative, hate on Obama for everything whether he had something to do with it or not, often racist, hypocrites, conspiracy theorists (Obama is illuminati/muslim/Al Qaeda/not American are some of the common ones) moderately illiterate, don't seem to follow logic, etc. So when I'm really frustrated by something like that, I might get a little aggressive. Or when I hear the occasional story about those uncommon but still real families who neglect their children or something because God will take care of them. Oh, and one of my favorites are the religious ones who preach kindness and love and all that yet don't like black people, especially since Obama became president, and take particular offense to "Allahu akbar" despite they themselves commenting on news stories like "GOD is great"

This actually turned more into me venting here and I apologize for that, but I'm a bit frustrated is all. Also, I used Obama a few times for examples, not because I love the guy (because I don't) but because he's such a good example for some of what I've been on about. Hopefully I haven't given the wrong impresssion of me from this, though I get the feeling I have.

To be back on topic, I do question the results of this poll though. Atheists definitely take a lot of flak, some of it well justfied as yes we can be a hostile bunch, but not all of us and not all the time. In my opinion, it's just to counter the same we see from the opposite side of the field. I think it would be good to know the number of people, demographic and location. The anwers you get from people 30-65 in small town Southern/Midwestern USA are gonna be quite different from 18-40 in say, Seattle or something, especially since (as someone else pointed out) non-religious is a quickly growing group.

Vastmind
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I like the engine blown story @Captain_America. Another example, this time humorous, is when a sports player says God granted him victory. What? Did God have favoritism for one team over the other?

ToraldrisCaptain_AmericaEarthninjaBunks

@Hamsaka said:
    ...It's only been in the last 30 or so years that Christians even VOTED in the states...

There is no accuracy to that statement.

Chaz