Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What music are you listening to?

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited August 2019

And now for something typically Dutch... Doctorandus P en de Dodenrit

The lyrics are hilarious

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

Ran across this band recently. The only way I can describe it is otherworldly...

JeroenJeffrey
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited August 2019

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

A young Californian lady who YouTube threw my way, seems talented...

Jeffrey

I’ve been on a bit of a Still Corners jag since coming across @nakazcid’s post above, and have really enjoyed this...

nakazcid
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Met this artist on the weekend, she's amazing

lobster
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman England Explorer

This is brilliant

A song about going places... in Dutch...

This is one of my favorites @finnthehuman, you might like it

FinnTheHuman
  • Shoshinnakazcid
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Love the woman...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2019

Just plain ol' fun.

(Moscow, Russia, for those interested....)

JeroenJeffreyShoshinlobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

A little Dhamma from George Harrison

ShoshinVastmindlobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

May you all have a Lovely Day...

nakazcidBunksVastmind

What A Wonder Full World

JeffreylobsterVastmind

Thanks @Shoshin. It’s always a lovely day with Bill Withers around.

Shoshin
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Freddie Mercury’s bday was on the 5th.

Animators Esteban Bravo and Beth David said of making this short film, “We wanted to tell a story that was relevant to Freddie's life, but not explicitly about him. The AIDS crisis of the 1980s is a huge part of LGBT+ history, and it's something that we knew needed to be handled with care. It's a fine line to walk between shedding light on a subject, and perpetuating a stigma, and we were cautious not to lean into tropes and stereotypes that might hurt the modern understanding of the AIDS virus, rather than help it.

The LGBT+ community fought for years for the right to proper research and healthcare, and because of that fight, millions of lives have been saved. We wanted to celebrate that victory. Through perseverance, strength, and love, our characters not only survive, but live long, healthy lives together.”

Shoshinlobster

"You've got to search for the hero inside yourself...Search for the secrets you hide...Search for the hero inside yourself until you find the 'key' to your life! "

Bunkslobster
  • @nakazcid said:
    Ran across this band recently. The only way I can describe it is otherworldly...

Now listen to Bronski Boys - Small Town Boy and tell me they’re not almost the same sound.

• The new debut instrumental album by Benny Gebert is superb, as is the new album by Lambert. Both released today, I highly commend you try them out.

I’m watching Lambert live in Manchester next month, can’t wait!

Great band great cover

My favourite Beatles cover

edited September 2019

@Lee82 said:
    Now listen to Bronski Boys - Small Town Boy and tell me they’re not almost the same sound.

I only heard Small Town Boy a few times in the 80s, and enjoyed it then, but mostly forgot about it. I recently rediscovered the song a few months ago, and really enjoy it - and the video.

There are similarities, but Bronski Beat's tune has a harder, faster beat which vastly changes the impression it make on me. But I love both songs, so I'm happy all around. Are you saying that you find Still Corners' tune derivative?

• Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    edited September 2019

@nakazcid said:

@Lee82 said:

I only heard Small Town Boy a few times in the 80s, and enjoyed it then, but mostly forgot about it. I recently rediscovered the song a few months ago, and really enjoy it - and the video.

There are similarities, but Bronski Beat's tune has a harder, faster beat which vastly changes the impression it make on me. But I love both songs, so I'm happy all around. Are you saying that you find Still Corners' tune derivative?

When you hear a song and can't help but hear another song in it then they are too similar. Intentional or not who knows, but there are plenty of copyright cases won for such things where one song samples another or is strongly influenced by it.

Interestingly I hadn't heard the other song for years and had to look up what it was based on the lyrics I could remember. Even then I never knew who the artist was or what it was called until I found it.

• My favourite Beatles cover

Recommend the Danny Boyle film 'Yesterday'

You find yourself in an alternative reality where no one has heard of The Beatles ...
    Ay caramba!

I just came across this singer...I think she's Hungarian (she sings in English)

@lobster said:

My favourite Beatles cover

Recommend the Danny Boyle film 'Yesterday'

You find yourself in an alternative reality where no one has heard of The Beatles ...
    Ay caramba!

Hmmmmmm.....great potential but not sure about the result......IMHO :)

• Something different, classical and tradiontal dance from India

lobsterJeroen

That's actually enchanting.... I have a soft spot for Ganesh....

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited September 2019

Didn't realise this was a song. Heard someone shouting the lyric chorus and googled it ...

Alice? Who dafuq is Alice?!

(Additional lyrics from a pisstake cover version.)

Came across this again yesterday, its fun...

lobster
  • Here Comes The Sun

From Abbey Road Album remastered ...

Vastmind
  • Beatles cover version ...

Been revisiting Thievery Corporation lately. Two of my favorites:

Guilobster
  • GuiGui Veteran

@Shoshin - one of my all time favorites. I lost count how many different musicians have done this tune.

Shoshin
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Saw these cats last night. Local industrial metal band that I've been following for a long time.

Some more of Juzzie Smith

• N.B. No sugary drinks consumed whilst listening

Bonus track ...
    https://invidio.us/watch?v=nUb4MovqcBY

This proved to be the moist successful advertising campaign Coca cola ever ran, and probably one of the most successful ones ever made, for any product. Amazing how a song can get stuck in your head; the moment you hear it, you can't associate it with anything else.

Amazing how a song can get stuck in your head; the moment you hear it, you can't associate it with anything else.

One could say it's addictive

One could, but that's not what I meant. I meant that a tune becomes identified with one specific matter, but that doesn't mean it's addictive.

edited November 2019

New (posthumous) Leonard Cohen song... and a very Buddhist video, this really spoke to me, thought the theme of the song text, the music and the video really worked well together. Worth seeing a couple of times.

And also an accompanying article on Tricycle

ShoshinJeffreylobster

I must admit I have found most of his songs somewhat morbid, insightful but morbid ...I guess this is due to his long association with clinical depression..

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2019

That is true @Shoshin but the morbid and the clinical, the die-pressed and the floating gals all have their song ...

Many thanks @Kerome

and now for the musically 'weird'

Shoshin

lobster
  • adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

Kim Richey, 'A Place Called Home'

This song warms me like sitting by the fire in winter <3

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Have been revisiting this album, which was released four years ago. While I really like this album and how well it captures a certain dark, intense, and contemplative mood, it was really hard for me to listen to. My mom passed away that year, so I couldn't really listen to it until a year or two later. It was way too emotional for me. Because of that, I feel like I couldn't fully appreciate it like I did their other albums. I was too afraid to confront the idea of death and dying, the suffering one often experiences when they're dying, and the intense feelings of loss that come out of a rather omnipresent and natural process. Even to this day, I listen to it sparingly because it still brings up feelings that I shy away from. I love it and hate it at the same time.

federicalobster

I’ve been revisiting a few old favorites as well: Amy Winehouse, Ry Cooder, and this...