Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Covid Cabin

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited July 2021

@Shoshin1 said:
    My sister was one who was easily lead by all the conspiracy theories floating around... then her and her friend caught the virus, they soon changed their tune....

Reminds me of an article I read in a US newspaper about what a doctor was now hearing from people who caught the virus. Apparently people when wheeled into the ER say “please give me the vaccine!” And she has to tell them, “it’s too late for the vaccine now”.

Bunkslobster
  • Fortunately they both recovered but my sister said "I never want to go through that experience again...it was horrible" and when her and her friend were offered the vaccine, they jumped at the chance...Both are now fully vaccinated ....

BunksKotishkaDairyLamalobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Seen on the Internet recently:
    "Jab 'em all, and let God sort them out!" 😋

• Had my first jab today.
    Feeling fine. Walked to walk in centre. Did not book. No waiting. There was negligible soreness in the arm that got the shot. Given sticker.

Nearly ready for zombie apocalypse … B)

BunksShoshin1Jeffrey
  • @Shoshin1 said:
    When Aotearoa went into lockdown, all flights were cancelled, which meant I couldn't fly to the US in May 2020 for my oldest boy's wedding, and the online travel agency who I organised my flights with told me my tickets were non refundable and the ticket money would be credited so I could book another trip at a later date but the credit was only valid until May 2022 and I could only use the same airline I originally was booked with...They were quite adamant about not refunding my ticket money...

Well the other day I decided to look into where I could fly to, using the same airline (Hawaiian Airlines). so I contacted the travel agency and after a lot of toing and froing, they ended up telling me they would be refunding my ticket money which is great news, however it could take twelve weeks or longer before I receive the refund...

Patience paid off 😎

Well just a follow up...
    True to their word, the money's been refunded back into my account...
    When the travel agent guy rang me this morning (from Oz) to get my details, he said it will take 3 to 5 working days, however I checked my account not long after he rang and the money had been refunded... more like 3 to 5 working minutes...Not that I'm complaining... B)

Bunkslobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@DairyLama said:
    Seen on the Internet recently:
    "Jab 'em all, and let God sort them out!" 😋

I think this is with a lot of anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists, they are people who don’t have a lot of trust in their souls.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2021

Any people in the UK who have the NHS Covid app: You should uninstall it. It's picking fully-vaccinated people at random amd telling them to Isolate. It's mis-firing, and faulty. Uninstall the app now.
    It picked a friend of mine at random, who had just come out of quarantine due to business travel abroad. after 2 weeks at home, on her own, it told her she had been exposed and to self-isolate. When she telephoned her doctor's clinic and then the number given on the automated message, she was advised to "disregard the app, as it seems to be going a bit trigger-happy"...

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2021

@how said:
    Aaaauuuggghhh!

I'd like to see the jab be dealt with like getting ones drivers license where it doesn't require the convincing of anyone that it is scientific or political, just consequential to where you are allowed access or not. Stores, theaters, transportation systems, public events can all decide whether a flashing of that "drivers license"(official vaccination confirmation card) will be a condition of access and the public can decide who they will support and who they won't. If you want the support structures that a Covid free society can provide, you abide by getting vaccinated. If you don't want to abide by societies guidelines by staying unvaccinated you can happily congregate at those places that advertise their exclusion to those guidelines.
    Let Darwinian law naturally protect those who wish for that protection and allow those who are choosing to put everyone else at risk, to solely carry their own burden for that decision.

I've heard that sentiment before and I share it but that was the best I've heard it put. I just hope those choosing the latter don't have very young children or other vulnerable people in their household.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    It does not discriminate and don't give a rat's ass who, or what, you are...
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/04/fit-and-healthy-man-42-from-southport-who-rejected-vaccine-dies-of-covid

Bugger.....

This is why we keep having to have lock downs until we get more people vaccinated here. Only about 20% of the population fully vaccinated. Supply has been the issue, not demand. But apparently the cavalry is coming in the next month or two.

About 6 months ago our PM said (about the vaccination rollout), "It's not a race...."

How those words are coming back to haunt him! :(

Shoshin1lobster
  • Just heard Victoria is going into a 7 day lockdown...

Bunks

Yep, one week on and one week off at the moment :)

Shoshin1

Going for my second AZ jab this morning... :)

Shoshin1Kotishkalobster
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited August 2021

Lately on the news the government's been saying if (more likely when) the Delta variant is found in the community...the whole or parts of Aotearoa will go into a snap short notice 7 day level 4 lockdown...

This will shake up those who have become complacent eg those who no longer do contact tracking, just wander in and out of places not giving the contract tracer bar codes on display a second glance...some have also stopped wearing masks on public transport...

No doubt some will whinge at the government for not doing more to stop it getting in...when in fact they have been doing the only thing they can do, speeding up the vaccine rollout, protecting the borders, and reminding the population through the different media outlets to be vigilant and play their part...any major outbreak will come from members of the general public who have slacked off by not taking any precautions...

Bunkslobster

I think your government is doing the right thing @Shoshin1.

One good thing (if you can call people dying good), is that many fewer people are dying each day in Sydney than Melbourne last year with comparative cases taken into account.

The vaccine is making a difference.

Shoshin1
  • Dear Friends of Buddha Covid,

My sister recently had her second jab. Some side effects. Stiffness - common. Vomiting, one in ten people. That is for the Astra Zen eca. We are very fortunate to have an infrastructure that offers the option of vaccines.

My mother should be able to have a winter flu and booster jab. All good. She had no side effects from her two Astrazeneca jabs.

The person I am most concerned about is my brother-in-law. Had his two jabs … but is back at work as a tourist coach driver with asthma. :anguished:

tayatha om bekandze bekandze maha bekandze radza samudgate soha
    https://landofmedicinebuddha.org/about-medicine-buddha/meaning-of-mantra-and-praise/

BunksShoshin1

Blimey, @lobster that's some strong stuff you've given us there...

• @federica I admire the tantrists who use a skull (usually a relative) as a begging bowl, reusable caffe latte receptacle and pillow. Unfortunately that behaviour is illegal in many societies. Ah well [lobster shrugs].

It is the intense confrontation with death, fear, lack of coffee and other strong back of mind hindrances that can be transformative and a wake up call …

Bunks
    edited August 2021

Well here we go again...possible lockdown on the way...

It's level four lockdown from midnight tonight for 7 days for Auckland (which includes the island)....Retreat time 🙃

@Shoshin1 said:
    Well here we go again...possible lockdown on the way...

It's level four lockdown from midnight tonight for 7 days for Auckland (which includes the island)....Retreat time 🙃

Ah yes, just saw that. Take it easy @Shoshin1

Shoshin1
  • Thanks @Bunks ....

Had my jolk this morning, where I only saw three people on the beach from a distance ( a woman walking her dog and a couple of joggers) and three cars on the road...

Level four lockdown is a time when Mother Nature can breath easy....

Bunks

Meanwhile in Australia

Shoshin1KotishkaWalker
  • Well @Bunks that sums up what's happening in Oz, some of the states are in a right state...and as for the island...This is what level four lockdown in the village looks like at the moment...

The grey building on the right is where they conduct drive through Covid tests and on the upper floor is where the vaccines are carried out...

The silence is golden

Bunks

Nice @Shoshin1
    I think it might have got away from us here in Victoria unfortunately. Ah well, just have to rely on vaccine now.

Shoshin1

Yes, because you can't rely on people/Common sense...

lobsterBunks
  • Yes, because you can't rely on people/Common sense...

...Which it would seem is in short supply for some....

howBunksKotishkaWalker
    edited August 2021

The pandemic from a cat's perspective ...

howJeroenWalkerlobster

I saw that in Israel they are experiencing another major wave of infections and are committing to a set of third, booster shots of vaccine for the population. It's worrying because for a long time they were on the forefront of the levels of vaccination, they're hovering around 60% but they still have 6k infections and 33 deaths a day (reuters).

Here in the Netherlands we are still gradually loosening the restrictions. There are still facemasks on public transport, and 1.5m distancing in public spaces, but the cafes and restaurants are open again and you can go shopping again without making appointments with the stores. Schools and universities are also open to students in person again.

Bunks

Sorry @Shoshin1 I couldn't listen to that cat... it actually amplified my tinnitus...!

edited August 2021

@federica said:
    Sorry @Shoshin1 I couldn't listen to that cat... it actually amplified my tinnitus...!

Haha I gave it about 5 seconds and had to switch it off too

federica
  • That's a shame, it's such a funny clip.....

Bunks
  • @lobster said:
    Babies mostly survive. The grandmother of the baby, who I mentioned previously, died from Covid before the birth.

I still feel hopeful for the future. Always.

Good news. The baby (nickname Sushi) is sleeping a lot, having difficulty breathing but the red blotches have gone. Sushi, all going well, will develop a natural immunity. The parents have both tested negative for the virus. Strange.

Seems what does not kill you makes you stranger stronger in some cases. :star:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58270098

Meanwhile I was able to go for a drive and walk in wombleland (home of Wimbledon tennis). It was wonderful for us. We found a quiet bit of woodland. Mushrooms doing well.

Vaccinate the world. XR for a change.

Shoshin1Bunks
  • If this is the case ....what's done is done and can not be undone...No doubt other countries are carrying out similar 'secret' experiments in the "biological weapon" race...this won't be the last accidental or with intention man-made pandemic ...

Bunkslobster
  • Thanks @Bunks,

I will be going for my second vaccination as soon as possible. The two vulnerable family members were my priority. They have their second vaccine.

Your advice and experience is I hope well heeded … <3

Bunkshow
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Here we keep bouncing in & out of masking depending on the fluxuating rate of new Covid infections. 20% of anti vaxers still seem to be the cause of 95% of the hospitalizations.
    Middle of Sept, a double vaccination ID will be required to be shown for access to any non essential public venues. Hopefully that will make it inconvenient enough to convince the fence sitters to re-think their choices.

Shoshin1Bunks
  • Sadly there will still be Covid 19 deniers who just see these patients reports as government propaganda....actors playing a part...

Bunkslobster
  • Just read this article.... "https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/126199938/during-covid-spare-a-thought-for-our-leaders-mental-health" ...I agree with him...

The people leading our Covid response deserve scrutiny, but not endless criticism, writes Jehan Casinader.

Politicians and public servants are at work, during a crisis, trying to protect five million people from a mutating virus that spreads through the air. How are they rewarded for their trouble? Endless whining and moaning from a large segment of the public.

Over the past fortnight, social media pages have been filled with gripes. Why did we lock down with only one case? Why did we even need a lockdown? Why are we still in lockdown? Why won’t they tell us how long we’ll be in lockdown?

We’re like five million children squeezed into the backseat of a station wagon, chanting: “Are we there yet?”

Lest we forget... politicians also worry about their families/loved ones and are not immune when it comes to suffering bouts of depression and anxiety....

lobsterhowBunksDavid

Not sure about NZ @Shoshin1 but in Australia we have "journalists" who have no qualms with ongoing personal attacks that you'd need a pretty thick skin to ignore....

• Yes we have our fair share of low life journalists here too @Bunks ...

Bunks
  • The government here is thinking of doing the same...

Bunks