Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Covid Cabin

Comments

• Just watching the government's daily Covid 1pm news bulletin...

Good news...The number of Delta infected people are gradually dropping, not active community cases outside of Auckland... the lockdown is (fingers crossed) working/doing what it is meant to do...

All the suburbs of Auckland (northern southern eastern western suburbs) have reported community cases...

I'm amazed that the island is Delta free (we have dodged the Delta bullet)...we are so close to the epi centre of the outbreak (a short ferry ride to Auckland central and Devonport=the epi centre)...and lots of locals were traveling daily to Auckland & Devonport for work...

DavidBunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The whole of Europe already uses these smart phone vaccination proofs. Still vaccinated levels are only slowly creeping upwards.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Lockdown Sydney style :p:p:p

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I was reading this article on covid and vaccination, a few facts:

• 99% of hospitalizations due to covid are from unvaccinated people
    • Vaccination effectiveness against the Delta variant is pretty good
    • There is a slow decrease in vacc effectiveness over time, but it is still 90% after a year
    • Booster shots therefore are only a good idea for vulnerable people over 60
    KotishkaBunksShoshin1
  • @Bunks said:
    Lockdown Sydney style :p:p:p

That's crazy @Bunks

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Our current Government is one that definitely needs their heads examining. ECT would be a start...

@federica said:
    ECT would be a start...

Electro Convulsive Therapy for all senior ministers? Not a bad plan, lol. I bet there’d be a lot less fighting for the top jobs.

• It is still painful to see and hear people who refuse to listen to the scientists, doctors and nurses but insist upon taking professional medical advice from random strangers on You Tube and Tic Toc, and keep trying quack "medicines" and outright poisons rather than get vaccinated. they continue to refuse to wear masks or social distance and blame everyone else for the continued epidemic.

Shoshin1lobsterWalker
  • Sadly @Lionduck it would seem pride is the driving force behind the covid deniers, anti vaxxers and those who are anti mask wearing...

Their pride won't allow them to backdown even if all the evidence points to the fact their beliefs are false...To admit that they could be wrong is not on the cards for many...

During the first wave of 2020 I remember seeing reports in the US of covid deniers catching the virus and being hospitalised, some dying, yet some were still in denial that they had the virus, refusing to believe the doctors and nurses who were treating them....

lobster
  • My sister is sick...again...after receiving the shot. Confusion...will be my epitaph

BunksShoshin1JeroenLionduck
    edited September 2021

@コチシカ said:
    My sister is sick...again...after receiving the shot. Confusion...will be my epitaph

I got sick after the first shot too. Headaches, night sweats and tired for 2 - 3 days.

Hope she gets well soon

Kotishka
  • Hmm interesting...

Coronavirus Vaccinations Worldwide

2.36 billion people worldwide have been fully vaccinated,,,
    954.9 million people worldwide have partly been vaccinated...

@Shoshin1 said:
    Hmm interesting...

Coronavirus Vaccinations Worldwide

2.36 billion people worldwide have been fully vaccinated,,,
    954.9 million people worldwide have partly been vaccinated...

Really? One third of the world population has been vaccinated? Hmmmmmm

I hear they are having a lot of trouble with vaccination levels in India, and that’s like 1.3 billion people by itself. Indonesia is also nearly 1 billion people.

@Jeroen said:
    I hear they are having a lot of trouble with vaccination levels in India, and that’s like 1.3 billion people by itself. Indonesia is also nearly 1 billion people.

Yes, India only has 13% of the population fully vaccinated. And Indonesia only 15%.

• Bearing in mind these numbers depend on the 'honesty' of each country's immunisation/health authority...

According to the government, At current rates we’ll be 80% fully vaccinated by 5/11 so can get back to some kind of normal life!
    Getting a bit over these lockdowns

Shoshin1
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Things are pretty dire here in Alberta. Covid ICU admissions are the highest they've been yet, and surgeries and procedures are being cancelled. I have re-ruptured a hernia that I had repaired four years ago, and have to wait until May for a consult with a surgeon. Ugh.

My mother-in-law in Saskatchewan was admitted to hospital a couple of weeks ago with non-Covid problems. She tested negative when she went in. A few days later she was positive and the hospital was in an outbreak. They locked down the hospital, father-in-law couldn't go see her until he had news of his test result, which thankfully was negative. So now he can at least do window visits. Hoping she is released sometime later this week.

Shoshin1KotishkaBunkslobster
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited September 2021

Wishing your MIL a speedy recovery @Walker ...

It would seem that worldwide, Delta is still a big problem, with lots of hospitalisations,
    ICUs filling up...but for the most part, the world medias has gone pretty quiet when reporting ...

Just heard that Auckland will be going down to level 3 lockdown restrictions tomorrow (Tuesday) for two weeks, then reassessed .... There's not much difference between level 3 & 4 lockdown, level 3 just means some shops can open for non contact click and collect service...

BunksWalker
  • Hmm I wonder how this pandemic will affect our youth's mental outlook on life long term...

Mental health professionals around the world are having to deal with an increase of patients... many young ones....

@Shoshin1 said:
    Hmm I wonder how this pandemic will affect our youth's mental outlook on life long term...

Mental health professionals around the world are having to deal with an increase of patients... many young ones....

I can see it’s started to affect my 11 year old….lots of tears lately. She needs to get back to school….

Shoshin1Walkerlobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

I think I have been seeing a notable mental decline in many people of all ages since Covid arrived. There is a reason why isolation is utilized in our prison systems as one of the strongest punishments offered.

Shoshin1WalkerJeroenBunks
  • For the most part we have no idea what's really going on in their minds....

Sadly for many this pandemic has been a traumatic experience, ( for some more traumatic than others) no doubt some will continue to have flashbacks for years to come....

Hope this is just a temporary thing for your daughter @Bunks and she comes right soon ...

Bunks

@how said:
    I think I have been seeing a notable mental decline in many people of all ages since Covid arrived. There is a reason why isolation is utilized in our prison systems as one of the strongest punishments offered.

You’re not wrong @how, and it’s funny how mental institutions do the same thing to their most troublesome patients.

edited September 2021

I guess it is important for practitioners who live alone during lockdown, to see the lockdown experience as a welcoming 'retreat' ...
    A time ( if one haven't already done so... ) to truly begin to make friends with oneself...warts & all...

BunksWalkerlobster
  • Just heard that Melbourne's Delta outbreak is increasing @Bunks ..

@Shoshin1 said:
    Just heard that Melbourne's Delta outbreak is increasing @Bunks ..

Correct! 700-odd.
    They also have been celebrating today as their 235th day in lockdown. The most of any city in the world apparently. Good times…

edited September 2021

Hey @Jeroen - I noticed our covid 19 response commander is called Jeroen also. Although he is English strangely enough.

• @Bunks said:

@Shoshin1 said:

Correct! 700-odd.
    They also have been celebrating today as their 235th day in lockdown. The most of any city in the world apparently. Good times…

Sadly it would seem some Melburnians are in the habit of cutting off their nose to spite their face..

forcing the Vic government to increase the period of time in lockdown...
    Angry frustrated people not only create suffering for themselves, their selfishness (fuelled by ignorance) makes those who are trying to do the right thing suffer too....

@Shoshin1 said:

@Bunks said:

@Shoshin1 said:

Correct! 700-odd.

Sadly it would seem some Melburnians are in the habit of cutting off their nose to spite their face..

forcing the Vic government to increase the period of time in lockdown...
    Angry frustrated people not only create suffering for themselves, their selfishness (fuelled by ignorance) makes those who are trying to do the right thing suffer too....

People are over it. And I don’t blame them.

Anyways, in a month or so we’ll open up and then we can watch those either too ignorant or stupid to get vaccinated get carted off to hospital for the poor overworked nurses and doctors to look after.

Shoshin1

Premier Jason Kenney survived a caucus revolt yesterday. But his party leadership review has been moved up to the spring from the fall when it normally would've happened. I'm not sure if he will survive that long. He looked extremely tired answering the questions about his leadership from the press.

But there doesn't appear to be anyone with enough clout to take over the reins yet, so he may just survive this, depending on what happens in the next little while. His opposition is divided as well, between those fierce anti-anything-will-actually-be-effective-against the-pandemic and the you-did-far-too-little-far-too-late camps.

I thought this United Conservative Party would be like herding cats when they united the right wingers here a few years back, the pandemic has sure exacerbated that.

Shoshin1
    edited September 2021

Oh boy. Let's throw a Covid Party.

There's no fixing stupid. :(

I've just booked my third dose appointment (I'm eligible as I'm taking a TNF inhibitor.)

Shoshin1Bunks
    edited September 2021

@Walker it would seem for some of the diehard deniers, it a case of Having is believing

Walkerhow
  • Here in Aotearoa (NZ) the government is aiming for 90% of the population to be vaccinated...At first they were looking at 80%, but recent modelling by epidemiologists at Auckland university (modelling yet to be reviewed by peers) shows 95% of the population being vaccinated would be a safer option...

Reaching that number may be wishful thinking on the part of the government...but it may get some of the vaccine fence sitters off the fence...

SuraShine
  • @SuraShine said:
    As a healthcare worker it exhausts me to see the voracity of antivaxxers' claims with so much evidence in plain sight after Covid being here for so long. I really liken the sympathy being dished out to them in the media when they contract Covid as Idiot Compassion. I know it sounds harsh, but I can no longer spare my empathy for them when they get sick, I am too busy helping really sick people who are also doing the right thing to avoid getting Covid (by wearing masks, getting vaccinated and practising correct sanitising skills with correct social distance protocol).

It sounds awful of me, but I really think now to let antivaxxers continue and let Mother Nature thin the herd - survival of the fittest and (hopefully) the smartest.

I. AM. EXHAUSTED. Thankfully I am not a doctor or nurse. I really admire them and have no idea how they do it. And lucky for the sick antivaxxers I'm not one either.

Stay safe @SuraShine and keep up the good work...

WalkerSuraShine

@SuraShine said:
    I. AM. EXHAUSTED. Thankfully I am not a doctor or nurse. I really admire them and have no idea how they do it. And lucky for the sick antivaxxers I'm not one either.

It happens a lot to healthcare workers that they get in that way. Compassion fatigue, I think they call it in England, though I am not sure the term really fits. You just take care @SuraShine

SuraShine
  • I. AM. EXHAUSTED.

Of course!

In many situations medical and emergency services are moving towards triage. We have in the UK emergency space with ventilators, plus new treatments for the unvaccinated. In some situations/countries people will just be left to suffocate, unable to breath, which is the main method of Covid death.

Would it be unkind @SuraShine to suggest an emergency kit for anti vaxxers consisting of a plastic bag and a string to tie it over their heads, whilst they live stream their last thoughts … :p>:)

Too extreme? o:)

WalkerBunksSuraShineShoshin1
  • Just got my second moderna Mrna vaccine. I hope to have no side effects but who knows ….

BunksShoshin1how

Good luck @lobster

lobster
  • KotishkaKotishka Veteran
    edited September 2021

I'm quite curious about all these doctors and anti-vaxxers / skeptics who speak about the evils and conspiracy behind the vaccine. Quarantine measures triggered a global mental health pandemic? Or there was already one but laying low, dormant like a volcano.

I spoke to a friend recently who told me that he had struggled a lot during the quarantine in Spain. He even required psychological therapy to overcome it and was first met with a quick-to-pill doctor, who made him suffer a strong withdrawl period caused by misuse of benzodiazepamines. He is now also practising meditation by the way :) Recovered !

Regarding anyone who becomes sick due to refusing the vaccine, I ask myself -and you all- what would the Buddha have done?

Perhaps a "AuuuUUuurgh! Darwinian rule!" or -and-; "Poor confused beings. I'll have to (unfortunately) avoid some of you to not feed your neurosis with unnecessary right / wrong discussions."

???

PD: @lobster Lobster mRna.

Shoshin1
  • @lobster said:
    Just got my second moderna Mrna vaccine. I hope to have no side effects but who knows ….

Just watch out for loose metal objects :)

BunksWalker
  • Thanks guys <3

The moderna mRNA or SpikeVax (tradename) Vaccine is excellent. I had to search around to find someone still providing it as part of a just 'walk in' service. I found a relatively safe walking route. It took me 40 mins to walk back. Probably a bit longer on my leisurely walk there.

@コチシカ The Buddha was a pragmatist, minimalist and did not belittle people whom he relied on (for support and food).

So far my side effects have been:

• Slight soreness where the vaccine went in
    • A red sore nose, which is the start of my lung interface. Bravo body. Smart move …
    Shoshin1BunksKotishkaWalker
  • Promises are ( so it would seem) meant to be broken...
    4 REASONS WHY PFIZER MUST SHARE COVID-19 MRNA VACCINE TECHNOLOGY

It’s not just that there aren’t enough vaccines being produced- it’s that control over who can produce and access vaccines is left to only a handful of pharmaceutical corporations, even though governments contributed billions in public money to the research and development (R&D) of these vaccines. The World Health Organization (WHO) has set up a mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine Technology Transfer Hub in South Africa to allow producers to set up manufacturing on the continent. But so far, no company with an approved mRNA vaccine has stepped forward to contribute their technology and know-how, even though several producers have joined the hub and are ready to start manufacturing.

Sadly it's a case multi billion dollar Pharmaceutical companies selfishness and greed (and it would seem a touch of racism) outweighing kindness and compassion...

WalkerBunkslobsterKotishka
  • It is sad that where the vaccine is plentiful, ignorant and misdirected people refuse it while so many millions more are begging for it.

WalkerBunkslobsterShoshin1
  • Sadly essential workers (not only doctors and nurses) are constantly coming under attack verbal & physical, here in Aotearoa (NZ) by disgruntled impatient 'self entitled' people who spit the dummy because they can't have their own way...I take it attacks on essential workers are happening worldwide...

Stay safe, stay well...and don't let the actions of covidiots get you down...Remember, the vast majority of people really appreciate the work you are all doing...
    Metta <3<3<3

WalkerBunksSuraShinelobster

@Shoshin1 said:
    Sadly essential workers (not only doctors and nurses) are constantly coming under attack verbal & physical, here in Aotearoa (NZ) by disgruntled impatient 'self entitled' people who spit the dummy because they can't have their own way...I take it attacks on essential workers are happening worldwide...

Stay safe, stay well...and don't let the actions of covidiots get you down...Remember, the vast majority of people really appreciate the work you are all doing...
    Metta <3<3<3

Yes! The nurses and health workers administering vaccine in Melbourne CBD have been advised to not wear their uniform to work as some were verbally abused and spat on.

There really are some deluded folk out there...

Shoshin1SuraShine

@Shoshin1 said:
    Sadly essential workers (not only doctors and nurses) are constantly coming under attack verbal & physical, here in Aotearoa (NZ) by disgruntled impatient 'self entitled' people who spit the dummy because they can't have their own way...I take it attacks on essential workers are happening worldwide...

Can't say I've heard of this happening here. But maybe it just hasn't made the news.