Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Truth about Blacks vs Whites & George Floyd Protests.

124»

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2020

@bart said:
    Anyone remember about National Brotherhood Week.

I think I do but I could be mistaken.

I think It was a decent movement that would have done better if we had the information sharing tech we do now.

From what I understand, it was just like the times we are in right now with the pandemic. People thought the worst was over so efforts were stalled and eventually halted which gave the dividing spirit a toehold on the collective psyche.

Now racism is rampant again but we are more aware and able to fight it than ever with the whole global community.

• @person said:

@bart said:

There are many ways to interpret the same thing. It isn't clear to me what point you are trying to make.

I was just trying to put on humorous entertainment. All of us arguing over racism I thought this would be humorous.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@bart said:

@person said:

@bart said:

There are many ways to interpret the same thing. It isn't clear to me what point you are trying to make.

I was just trying to put on humorous entertainment. All of us arguing over racism I thought this would be humorous.

Why would you find that humorous?

These kinds of conversations are what lead to that kind of movement.

I could see how it is relevant but humorous?

Odd.

• Tom Lerher was strictly satirical, look him up?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2020

@bart , Maybe people (like me, f'rinstance) have absolutely no idea who he is?
    I would have no idea I would even need to reference someone in connection with that topic.
    What's it all about?

Who is he, by the way?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Defining racism isn't always black & white..there are many gray/brown areas in its definition...

Some points I might agree with.... others I might not...however I like to think I've taken the baby out of the bath water...before pouring it down the drain...ie, taken away some fresh food for thought...

Again I say thank you all for your thoughts on the subject...
    Stay well stay safe and stay mindful of thoughts words & deeds <3

VastmindpersonDavid
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@bart said:

Nope

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@Jason said:

@Shoshin said:
    Defining racism isn't always black & white..there are many gray/brown areas in its definition...

That's a good point. For me, racism is primarily about power dynamics. And institutionalized racism, as Sir William Macpherson defines it, is about: "The collective failure of an organization to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their colour, culture, or ethnic origin. It can be seen or detected in processes, attitudes and behaviour which amount to discrimination through unwitting prejudice, ignorance, thoughtlessness and racist stereotyping which disadvantage minority ethnic people." And in this case, I think the history and evidence is clear who is failing who.

Agree, except I was not sure why that description of an organization's racism was limited to the word "unwitting".

David
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

I definitely don't think it's limited to unwitting prejudice, ignorance, thoughtlessness and racist stereotyping. I can't speak for what he meant, but I think what he's referring to is the unconscious biases we hold based on the culture and society we live in. I think ingrained would be another good word to use.

I understand it to basically reflect the idea of people saying, doing, or thinking racist things without fully realizing that their words, deeds, and thoughts are in fact racist or stereotypes. When racism becomes institutionalized, it doesn't even have to be conscious or overt to still have the same affects. Often, these unequal power dynamics become ubiquitous and even invisible to those it advantages.

how
    edited June 2020

Edited to respect that @Shoshin doesn't want the thread to head in the direction it might if I don't edit the post gone.

Shoshin
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Sam Harris - Can We Pull Back From The Brink?

If any of you have a couple of hours to listen to this, I found it to be very informative and level-headed. The statistics that he presents may be surprising to some of you.

Shoshinperson

He definitely have the gift of making anything sound reasonable, even torture.

Shoshinlobster

I used to be a big fan, and he's definitely smart and articulate. But I agree with NYD30304d's take/criticism via reddit:

I don't understand how Sam is so right on the non existence of free will but so baffled by issues of race and still views racism as a matter of personal choice and not the accumulation of ten trillion causes over generations which drive the fully determined actions of individuals in the moment that result in racist outcomes. That right there is the whole fucking thing and Sam is an expert in one side of the coin but an imbecile in the other. That right there is why a black cop can do something racist, because the causes driving him demand racist effects. FFS Sam.

All of his citing of black crime statistics are almost begging the question, don't they deserve it? The reason black people commit more crimes is because of the racist system driving them, not because they choose to. But Sam also believes that nobody deserves anything, that we are just the sum of our past, our current conditions and our mental state in any given moment. I would like him to explore how he can feel these things simultaneously and maybe follow own deterministic philosophy to its logical conclusion - that racism is a system driving racially disparate effects and not a feeling in the heart.

lobster
  • @federica said:
    @bart , Maybe people (like me, f'rinstance) have absolutely no idea who he is?
    I would have no idea I would even need to reference someone in connection with that topic.
    What's it all about?

Who is he, by the way?

He was a mathematics professor at Harvard who was also a piano satirest> @Jason said:

I used to be a big fan, and he's definitely smart and articulate. But I agree with NYD30304d's take/criticism via reddit:

I don't understand how Sam is so right on the non existence of free will but so baffled by issues of race and still views racism as a matter of personal choice and not the accumulation of ten trillion causes over generations which drive the fully determined actions of individuals in the moment that result in racist outcomes. That right there is the whole fucking thing and Sam is an expert in one side of the coin but an imbecile in the other. That right there is why a black cop can do something racist, because the causes driving him demand racist effects. FFS Sam.

All of his citing of black crime statistics are almost begging the question, don't they deserve it? The reason black people commit more crimes is because of the racist system driving them, not because they choose to. But Sam also believes that nobody deserves anything, that we are just the sum of our past, our current conditions and our mental state in any given moment. I would like him to explore how he can feel these things simultaneously and maybe follow own deterministic philosophy to its logical conclusion - that racism is a system driving racially disparate effects and not a feeling in the heart.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Hey @federica I think the thread has done its dash...Please close thanks...

Alex
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2020

A post has been removed due to unacceptable language and terminology.

Thread Closed by request of OP.

ShoshinlobsterBunksJeroen
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

I read the deleted post just now.

User is banned.

ShoshinlobsterDavid
This discussion has been closed.