Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Truth about Blacks vs Whites & George Floyd Protests.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2020

The problem I see, with the issue of that article, is that there are many black protesters who ALSO feel violence, wanton destruction, looting and aggression, had no place in the protest marches.
    So while I honestly do get the roots of his rationale, and understand the anger that has bubbled ferociously for hundreds of years, at the uncontested outrage of treatment that began as slavery, there is the question of tempering anger with its opposite.
    We know, we constantly cite, and quote, and hold dear, the premise that Hatred cannot be countered with Hatred.
    Which is why, although I totally get his rationale, I cannot agree that it's a justifiable solution.

That, going by the article's central point, would make me racist....

lobsterDavid
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

If the point is self expression then maybe destruction and violence are understandable, I'm still not sure that makes them right, like the distinction between justification and explanation.

If the point is persuasion and effecting change, I'm of the opinion that they are counterproductive. Immediately after the killing of George Floyd there was pretty universal condemnation and support. Once the looting and vandalism started much of that support slipped away. This recent piece from Vox by Matthew Yglesias has been getting a lot of notice.

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/4/21278048/civil-disobedience-looting-vandalism

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@federica said:
    The problem I see, with the issue of that article, is that there are many black protesters who ALSO feel violence, wanton destruction, looting and aggression, had no place in the protest marches.
    So while I honestly do get the roots of his rationale, and understand the anger that has bubbled ferociously for hundreds of years, at the uncontested outrage of treatment that began as slavery, there is the question of tempering anger with its opposite.
    We know, we constantly cite, and quote, and hold dear, the premise that Hatred cannot be countered with Hatred.
    Which is why, although I totally get his rationale, I cannot agree that it's a justifiable solution.

It may not be a justifiable solution to you, but it is an expression/tactic that is often conditioned by the anger and frustration of the oppressed. And whatever you think of it, these protests are getting results, results that would arguably not have happened otherwise.

edited June 2020

@person said:
    If the point is self expression then maybe destruction and violence are understandable, I'm still not sure that makes them right, like the distinction between justification and explanation.

If the point is persuasion and effecting change, I'm of the opinion that they are counterproductive. Immediately after the killing of George Floyd there was pretty universal condemnation and support. Once the looting and vandalism started much of that support slipped away. This recent piece from Vox by Matthew Yglesias has been getting a lot of notice.

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/4/21278048/civil-disobedience-looting-vandalism

There may have been "support" and "condemnation," but literally nothing was done. Until these protests in all of their forms. And after a week of them, the officers were finally arrested. Cities are finally talking about defunding, demilitarizing, etc. Congress is talking about getting rid of the 1033 program and other legislative reforms. All because of the unrest. And lets be clear, most of the violence is coming from the police. That's just a fact. Here's just a fraction of it caught on film.

lobsterShoshin

This is for anyone not fully onboard with what's happening right now. You can have whatever opinion you want about the protests, but just watch and listen and consider her words.

Steve_BShoshinlobsterBunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well, although the UK is absolutely by no means perfect, and we certainly have our share of racial problems, I don't think the situation is as bad here as it is over in the USA... Slavery was first abolished in The United Kingdom, nearly 100 years before it was abolished in America... Our Police Force is not freely equipped with weapons (we have special tactical units for those needs)
    and we have a very broad spectrum of Parliamentary members, and Politicians and those sitting in the House of Lords, who are of ethnic origins. I use that term, because they are as British as I am, some having been born here...
    The term 'African American' is not transferable to here; we have never used the term African/British, or Jamaican/Scottish....

So I do think it is occasionally alien to our ears to hear such impassioned speech, because whatever problems we may have (and as I have said, they certainly exist) Property ownership and social possibilities are not handicaps and hurdles our black citizens face.

Which may be part of the reason I am so conflicted about the issue of violence, assault, and destruction.

• Omar067Omar067 Veteran

Only Buddhist practice can solve this problem. In countries where people act against the intent of Buddhism, there will always be problems. When you act against the intent of Buddhism you form bad karma. And if you are forming bad karma you are not practicing Buddhism. If you don't practice Buddhism, you will make the same mistakes over and over again. Why will you make the same mistakes over and over again? Because there is something called life condition. If you want to know your life condition then all you have to do is look around you. Even though you may experience the world of Heaven or rapture, it does not last forever. Even though you may experience hell, it will not last forever. In order to change your life and maintain unshakeable happiness, you must practice Buddhism everyday. The only result that can from this protest is accountability in this one case of police brutality. That would be experiencing the world of heaven for the protesters. But because people who do not practice Buddhism can not maintain a high life condition, they will continue to migrate through the six lower worlds and reach heaven at times. Police officers will not stop killing unarmed black people and problems will still exist. It is important to note that Heaven is not goal in Buddhism. Through practicing Buddhism you can enter the 4 worlds above heaven.

Bunks

• Omar067Omar067 Veteran

@Jason said:

Are you familiar with a Buddhist concept called the Mutual Possession of the Ten Worlds?

• Omar067Omar067 Veteran

What is your confusion? Did I say something crazy?

• Omar067Omar067 Veteran

Well this is my last post. I know you guys are glad to see me go. I hope to see you guys in another life.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2020

@Omar067

Your posting omitted in its reasonings, the Buddhist countries who have gleefully committed atrocities towards those unfortunate enough to be born outside of their majority tribal Buddhist membership. Attachment to anything is a cause for suffering.

I realize systemic prejudice can be a pretty emotional subject to try to address and so getting fired up in response is not unexpected but if your next post leaves some room for the compassion, empathy, sympathy, tenderness, benevolence, love or wisdom that better represents the Buddhas teachings then that posting wouldn't sound so much like the emotive of some Arian Buddhist ideal.

Nobody is glad to see this be your last post or for you to go.
    When nobody expects perfection, there is a lot of room for any of us to hang out here.

BunkslobsterShoshin
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran

@how said:
    @Omar067

Your posting omitted in its reasonings, the Buddhist countries who have gleefully committed atrocities towards those unfortunate enough to be born outside of their majority tribal Buddhist membership. Attachment to anything is a cause for suffering.

I realize systemic prejudice can be a pretty emotional subject to try to address and so getting fired up in response is not unexpected but if your next post leaves some room for the compassion, empathy, sympathy, tenderness, benevolence, love or wisdom that better represents the Buddhas teachings then that posting wouldn't sound so much like the emotive of some Arian Buddhist ideal.

Nobody is glad to see this be your last post or for you to go.
    When nobody expects perfection, there is a lot of room for any of us to hang out here.

These Buddhists are only Buddhist in name. The Buddha had this to say.
    “[The Buddha asked], ‘If there should be a person who draws blood from the bodies of a thousand, ten thousand, or a million Buddhas, in your thinking, how is it? Will he have committed a grave offense or not?’ The great king Brahmā replied: ‘If a person causes the body of even a single Buddha to bleed, he will have committed an offense so serious that he will fall into the hell of incessant suffering. His offense will be unfathomably grave, and he will have to remain in the great Avīchi hell for so many kalpas that their number cannot be calculated even by means of counting sticks. Graver still is the offense a person would commit by causing the bodies of ten thousand or a million Buddhas to bleed. No one could possibly explain in full either that person’s offense or its karmic retribution—no one, that is, except the Thus Come One himself.’ The Buddha said, ‘Great King Brahmā, suppose there should be a person who, for my sake, takes the tonsure and wears a surplice. Even though he has not at any time received the precepts and therefore observes none, if someone harasses him, abuses him, or strikes him with a staff, then that persecutor’s offense will be even graver than that [of injuring ten thousand or a million Buddhas].’”
    From reading this you should see that those countries were acting against the intent of Buddhism. Many people call themselves Buddhist but they don't listen to the Buddha. The Buddha had this to say.

"But now this threefold world is all my domain, and the living beings in it are all my children. Now this place is beset by many pains and trials. I am the only person who can rescue and protect others, but though I teach and instruct them, they do not believe or accept my teachings.”6

Bunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

No doubt in our own way, we were all impacted by what happened to George Floyd ...But for the most part those who have never experienced racism or have close friends who do experience it, will soon forget George Floyd and get on with their lives (many have already do so) out of sight out of mind...until the next time...

The most dangerous thing in the world is apathy

“A lack of love can cause people to have no help when they need help, no friends when they need a friend,” Karmapa said. “So, in a sense, the most dangerous thing in the world is apathy. We think of weapons, violence, warfare, disease as terrible dangers, and indeed they are, but we can take measures to avoid them. But once our apathy takes hold of us, we can no longer avoid it.”

However positive change can only happen if we become part of this change...

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"

~Mahatma Gandhi~

lobsterwildflowers
  • The Snake and the Monk - a Parable
    There was once a snake who terrorized a tiny village. Women, children, adored family pets he would bite them all, without a moment’s contemplation or modicum of sensitivity.

One day, a Buddhist monk visited the village. He observed the snake’s behavior and committed to teaching the snake the principle of non-violence or non-harming. As it turns out, the snake had a penchant for self-improvement and thoroughly absorbed the monk’s teachings. He loved the concept of non-violence and accepted it wholeheartedly.

Alas, once the snake refused to bite the villagers, they, in turn, exploited his newly discovered vulnerability. They threw dirt and rocks at him, poked at him with sticks, and, generally, made his life miserable. Some time later, the monk returned to find the snake bruised, beaten, and starving.

“What happened to you!” exclaimed the gentle monk. Clearly, it pained him to see his former student in such a predicament.

Sadly, the snake replied, “You taught me the principle of non-violence … You taught me not to bite people!”

“Ahhh, my friend, I did teach you not to bite people,” the monk conceded. Then, he lowered his voice to indicate the sharing of a very important secret, “But I never said that you couldn’t HISS.”

ShoshinBunksWalkerKotishka

@Shoshin said:
    No doubt in our own way, we were all impacted by what happened to George Floyd ...But for the most part those who have never experienced racism or have close friends who do experience it, will soon forget George Floyd and get on with their lives (many have already do so) out of sight out of mind...until the next time...

"...Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me."

Martin Niemöller German Lutherian Pastor

@Omar067 said:
    Well this is my last post. I know you guys are glad to see me go. I hope to see you guys in another life.

Oh, steady there...
    Don't throw your toys out of the pram, dearest. First of all, you make assumptions about someone else's intentions, and that in and of itself, is a form of prejudice. 'Pre- Judice'...

Secondly, the whole point of discussion is to regard every view as having a basis or foundation; the trick is to seek, and locate what that foundation is, and look at it through the other person's eyes... Only then, can we begin to understand what that person's view is, and why.

@Jason may respond, and expand; he might not. That is his prerogative.

He and I are both Moderators on this forum. He may simply feel that speaking further would not fit in with the remit of his role.
    But I don't know. That would be an assumption on MY part....

Bunks
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran

The last assumption that I made about leaving was wrong on my part, but I don't think the assumption about acting against the intent of Buddhism was. I understand the anger and sadness that this case of police brutality has caused though. I only wanted to try my best to offer advice. The world would be a better place if people just actually listened to the Buddha instead of making evil friends. What I mean by evil friends are people who slander Buddhism. This happens on every Sunday. Maybe everyday. You must understand that Christianity has a very firm grasp on the African American community. They follow the same religion who's adherents enslaved them and you wonder why problems are going on. If you practice Buddhism it is said that one will enjoy peace and security in their present existence. Going against it is not good and there are too many passages from the sutra that confirms this.

edited June 2020

I didn't mean to make you want to leave, just didn't know what to say or where to start. While I more or less agree with you that things are interconnected and that if people lived more in line with the Dhamma and the teachings of the Buddha, the world would be a much better place, I disagree that only Buddhism alone can solve the problem of racism. One reason is that the entire US isn't likely to convert and ardently practice Buddhism overnight. Another reason is that many of these issues are systemic and material and built into our socioeconomic system itself, so much so that the system conditions our actions or the outcomes of political and judicial processes than the other way around. And until those material mechanisms are removed or radically altered, things like wealth inequality, police brutality, and disparate judicial outcomes will continue regardless of what spiritual path we follow because the system can just as easily corrupt Buddhism here as it has Christianity and use it to reinforce oppression.

In addition, I may be an odd one out in that I also see Dhamma in Christianity and have written about it a fair bit here, and I believe if everyone was a true Christian and followed Christ then this world would also be a better place. (You could say that I'm a perennialist of sorts.) But we can't just be idealistic and hope that one day everyone because the perfect follower of their own faith or ethics or inner conscience. And if we care about justice and reducing the suffering of others, we have to do what we can to change unequal and oppressive systems and social relations. That can be as an example and by treating other people as we wish to be treated without prejudice (As David alludes to), but I'd argue that it also requires material changes in the world, changes in our socioeconomic social relations, in the ways wealth is distributed, power dynamics, and things of that nature. Right action is a part of the path, and the action needed here is clear to me from a political POV. Racism is a power dynamic, not just a wrong view or attitude.

I'm personally not worried about going to hell for being out in the streets demanding that my city defunds and demilitarizes the police or for saying that black lives matter. Because right now, our society is hell for black and indigenous people, among others. That's what the BLM movement is trying to say. Life is hell for them because of generations of racism and discrimination and lack of equal opportunities. And people like me are the ones who made our relative heaven into their hell, because our prosperity and privilege was built upon their oppression and suffering. And just as bodhisattvas and buddhas see the suffering of people in hell and wish to free them, I do too. But I'm just one person. I'm not a buddha or a bodhisattva, I'm just a compassionate person who wants other compassionate people to join me in freeing these people from hell. I can't kick the doors off of Hades by myself like Jesus in the story of the harrowing of hell, but maybe hundreds of thousands of like-minded souls can make a dent.

• Omar067Omar067 Veteran

I would first like to say that I am not well versed in politics. I only spend my time studying Buddhism, but I do no a little about the cause of this problem. It is like you said, the system is rigged against Black people. And who is maintaining the system, politicians. The politicians that we have are not concerned about oppressed minorities or the working class. They only care about filling their pockets with money. You have to understand that in order for politicians to get elected, they need a lot of money. Now they first have to figure out where they are going to get it from. They have two options. Get the money from wealthy donors, or get it from the working class. Ask your self this question. Who are the politicians going to? Well look at the the two candidates that we have left. Where is the majority of their money coming from. These people are going behind doors and making deals with the wealthy. People are not just going to give you money for nothing in return. Because they need the money they will work on their behalf. Now in order to fix this problem we must get them out office and elected people who are not crooked. However this is hard to do. Why? Because of the media. The media are the puppets of the wealthy. They are commanded by the wealthy to support who they give their money to. People listen and put their faith in them and up voting against their own best interest. Black people vote for these people and turn away from the people who actually care about them. Money is the cause of the problems that messing up American communities. In addition to racism. Now here is where Christianity comes in to play. Most Christians are taught that they are nothing more than sinners who need to be saved. These people in these powerful positions know that they are doing the wrong things but they don't care. They say this.
    "I'll be saved if I accept Jesus."
    So they continue to commit their perverse acts.

edited June 2020

@Omar067 said:
    I would first like to say that I am not well versed in politics. I only spend my time studying Buddhism, but I do no a little about the cause of this problem. It is like you said, the system is rigged against Black people. And who is maintaining the system, politicians. The politicians that we have are not concerned about oppressed minorities or the working class. They only care about filling their pockets with money. You have to understand that in order for politicians to get elected, they need a lot of money. Now they first have to figure out where they are going to get it from. They have two options. Get the money from wealthy donors, or get it from the working class. Ask your self this question. Who are the politicians going to? Well look at the the two candidates that we have left. Where is the majority of their money coming from. These people are going behind doors and making deals with the wealthy. People are not just going to give you money for nothing in return. Because they need the money they will work on their behalf. Now in order to fix this problem we must get them out office and elected people who are not crooked. However this is hard to do. Why? Because of the media. The media are the puppets of the wealthy. They are commanded by the wealthy to support who they give their money to. People listen and put their faith in them and up voting against their own best interest. Black people vote for these people and turn away from the people who actually care about them. Money is the cause of the problems that messing up American communities. In addition to racism. Now here is where Christianity comes in to play. Most Christians are taught that they are nothing more than sinners who need to be saved. These people in these powerful positions know that they are doing the wrong things but they don't care. They say this.
    "I'll be saved if I accept Jesus."
    So they continue to commit their perverse acts.

A simplistic overview, perhaps, but there is some truth to it, which is why I'm an anti-capitalist and anti-statist more generally. The connection you make about politicians and money, for example, is much deeper than some may realize. The interests of the ruling class and the owners of capital are intertwined, and not just because the latter donates to the former. And the media itself is owned by capital, so again, much of what is printed and reported, how it's edited, etc. is shaped by capital, the ruling class, and prismed through the lens of the ruling ideology. Voting alone can't change this as much as people think, because the structure of the socioeconomic system and the logic underlying it is omnipresent and compels/conditions individual politicians far more than the other way around. In fact, the system breaks down if people aren't playing by its rules, so the job of politicians becomes to enforce those rules and protect the system, with occasional tweaks here and there, instead of radically altering it. And this system can pervert anything to fit its ideology, which is one of the reasons it's so successful and difficult to change/dismantle. Take Christianity, for example.

Jesus was a pretty radical figure. He was essentially a pre-industrial communist, preaching unconditional love, equality, and care for all, particularly the 'least among us,' the poor, the sick, and the oppressed (Mt 25:31-46), which is the spiritual heart of liberation theology and its "preferential option for the poor." He condemned greed and hypocrisy (Mt 23), standing up the religious ruling class and monied elites of his time, going so far as flipping tables and driving the latter from the temple with shouts and whips (John 2:13–16). He was a feminist-like ally, ministering to women in ways that were forbidden for men (John 4:4-42), and refusing to judge women by the harsh, patriarchal laws of his time (John 8:1-11). He associated with those whom his society feared, shunned, and looked down upon out of ignorance and prejudice, from those considered unclean to outcasts and sinners (Mark 1: 40-45, Mark 2:13-17), which many found scandalous. He lived counter to almost every expectation and social norm of his time and invited others to follow his lead. He stripped down all the religious bureaucracy and legalism of his day, teaching that God's law is fulfilled in keeping one simple precept, 'love your neighbour as yourself' (Gal 5:13-14). He chose all of his closest disciples from amongst the working class (fishermen), those looked down upon for their occupations (tax collector), women, and revolutionary zealots rather than the class of religious elites. His mission, inherited from his heavenly father and voiced by his mother, Mary, included throwing down the rulers from their thrones, uplifting the lowly, and sending the rich away empty (Luke 1:46-55). And his early disciples, inspired by this example, were "of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they had everything in common," such that "there was no needy person among them, for those who owned property or houses would sell them, bring the proceeds of the sale, and put them at the feet of the apostles, and they were distributed to each according to need" (Acts 4:32-35). And despite Jesus literally saying that one couldn't serve both God (justice) and Mammon (greed/money) (Matthew 6:24), Christianity was adopted by western empires that conquered others with violence and now serves to support capitalism, western imperialism, and all forms of greed and oppression and helps to subdue the masses with thoughts of a heavenly afterlife.

And capitalism/ruling institutions are able do the same to Buddhism and anything else today that they embrace to solidify and maintain power/dominance. Just a few examples. The Thai state uses Buddhism to effectively suppress women. The Burmese/Myanmar state uses Buddhism to oppress Muslims and Rohingya. The Japanese used Buddhism to promote its imperialism, nationalism, and militarism during WWII. Again, I think it all goes back to the nature of power and the logic of social institutions. Any religious institution like Buddhism or Christianity, for example, is just one of many social institutions of power that can, and often do, run on a politics of purity and utilize various divisions (class, cultural, economic, ethnic, religious, etc.) to maintain power for those at the top, which in the west has historically been wealthy, white, male elites. And the logic of any institution is first and foremost to preserve itself, regardless of the form it takes.

So beyond training one's own mind and character, I believe that we must also work to help change the material social conditions that work alongside of the mental ones to support and reproduce oppression, inequality, and the subversion of more egalitarian alternatives and thought-systems. Which means to me that the more one practices and digs into their faith or simply their own humanity, the more their actions will express those egalitarian alternatives. Freeing our minds from greed, hatred, and ignorance will hopefully give rise to more compassion and we will then seek to try and help free others, not just mentally but materially (i.e., economically and politically). At least, that has been my own experience.

Ren_in_black
    edited June 2020

One example of what I mean. The white European settlers used Christianity as a tool to oppress native inhabitants, justify and maintain slavery, and impose their ideas, culture, and rule onto nonwhites. But those who practiced their faith/humanity more deeply were not only the ones who thought nonwhites were equally human, but also the ones who fought against this kind of oppression materially and became abolitionists, etc. Belief and action becoming one. Buddhists, of course, can do the same, as can humanists, etc.

• Omar067Omar067 Veteran

You certainly know more about the secular problems and religious problems facing the country. And those qualities about Jesus are admirable even though I don't agree with him on everything. I would just like to paste something that I read by studying Buddhism. It is from Nichiren Daishonin. A very controversial Buddhist reformer who lived in Japan.

Life at each moment encompasses the body and mind and the self and environment of all sentient beings in the Ten Worlds as well as all insentient beings in the three thousand realms, including plants, sky, earth, and even the minutest particles of dust. Life at each moment permeates the entire realm of phenomena and is revealed in all phenomena."
    My interpretation of this that state of your mind is reflected in your environment.

lobster

@Omar067 said:
    You certainly know more about the secular problems and religious problems facing the country. And those qualities about Jesus are admirable even though I don't agree with him on everything. I would just like to paste something that I read by studying Buddhism. It is from Nichiren Daishonin. A very controversial Buddhist reformer who lived in Japan.

Life at each moment encompasses the body and mind and the self and environment of all sentient beings in the Ten Worlds as well as all insentient beings in the three thousand realms, including plants, sky, earth, and even the minutest particles of dust. Life at each moment permeates the entire realm of phenomena and is revealed in all phenomena."
    My interpretation of this that state of your mind is reflected in your environment.

I agree. My addition is that the reverse is also true, that our environment conditions/is reflected in our state of mind. Which is why I think political actions/social engagement coincides with spiritual practices and personal development when it comes to helping relieve the suffering of others. And I also think Buddhism doesn't have a monopoly on this.

lobster
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran

@Jason said:
    One example of what I mean. The white European settlers used Christianity as a tool to oppress native inhabitants, justify and maintain slavery, and impose their ideas, culture, and rule onto nonwhites. But those who practiced their faith/humanity more deeply were not only the ones who thought nonwhites were equally human, but also the ones who fought against this kind of oppression materially and became abolitionists, etc. Belief and action becoming one. Buddhists, of course, can do the same, as can humanists, etc.

@Jason said:

I doubt it was their faith/Christianity that caused that change. They proved that they were better than the God of the Bible.

edited June 2020

@Omar067 said:

@Jason said:

@Jason said:

I doubt it was their faith/Christianity that caused that change. They proved that they were better than the God of the Bible.

Perhap, but most of the radical abolitionists made explicit religious arguments for the unity of humanity, such as Gal 3:28, and credited their faith as the inspiration for opposing the ruling order and the institution of slavery, so 🤷‍♀️. Maybe they discovered the God of love that Jesus was pointing towards, a God that reflects/is the Dhamma.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Great comments @Jason and @Omar067

This internalisation of the outer and effecting the outer is true on the mundane and quite profound level. It is certainly an important realisation that the ripples of awareness are like an inward and outward mind-breath.

Breath deeply. Stay Alert. Save the world.

adamcrossleyOmar067ShoshinJeroen

Came across this interesting talk by ...Dr. Robin DiAngelo...she's discussing her book 'White Fragility'....

Here's the "transcript" of her talk......

Or in a six minute nutshell the gist of what she is saying "Big Talk"

lobsterJeroen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Yep!

Thanks @Shoshin for the talk on white fragility. Any other non racists here? O.o

• Omar067Omar067 Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    Came across this interesting talk by ...Dr. Robin DiAngelo...she's discussing her book 'White Fragility'....

Here's the "transcript" of her talk......

Or in a six minute nutshell the gist of what she is saying "Big Talk"

Would you mind explaining this in laymen's terms?

I guess you could say, all about living in denial....

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/a-sociologist-examines-the-white-fragility-that-prevents-white-americans-from-confronting-racism

In more than twenty years of running diversity-training and cultural-competency workshops for American companies, the academic and educator Robin DiAngelo has noticed that white people are sensationally, histrionically bad at discussing racism. Like waves on sand, their reactions form predictable patterns: they will insist that they “were taught to treat everyone the same,” that they are “color-blind,” that they “don’t care if you are pink, purple, or polka-dotted.” They will point to friends and family members of color, a history of civil-rights activism, or a more “salient” issue, such as class or gender. They will shout and bluster. They will cry. In 2011, DiAngelo coined the term “white fragility” to describe the disbelieving defensiveness that white people exhibit when their ideas about race and racism are challenged—and particularly when they feel implicated in white supremacy. Why, she wondered, did her feedback prompt such resistance, as if the mention of racism were more offensive than the fact or practice of it?

Omar067lobster
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    edited June 2020

Another police shooting happened. This is really getting out of hand.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@federica said:

Sometimes when we fight racism with non-racism people think we are racist. Only love conquers hate and only unity conquers division.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I found it interesting because of the assumptions, self referencing, supposed empathy etc.

Moving the expertise away from the 'non racist' expert whites, to an ongoing exploration is harder for fragile liberals.

Thanks @Shoshin 💗🤔

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2020

@Shoshin said:

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/a-sociologist-examines-the-white-fragility-that-prevents-white-americans-from-confronting-racism

In more than twenty years of running diversity-training and cultural-competency workshops for American companies, the academic and educator Robin DiAngelo has noticed that white people are sensationally, histrionically bad at discussing racism. Like waves on sand, their reactions form predictable patterns: they will insist that they “were taught to treat everyone the same,” that they are “color-blind,” that they “don’t care if you are pink, purple, or polka-dotted.” They will point to friends and family members of color, a history of civil-rights activism, or a more “salient” issue, such as class or gender. They will shout and bluster. They will cry. In 2011, DiAngelo coined the term “white fragility” to describe the disbelieving defensiveness that white people exhibit when their ideas about race and racism are challenged—and particularly when they feel implicated in white supremacy. Why, she wondered, did her feedback prompt such resistance, as if the mention of racism were more offensive than the fact or practice of it?

I find it ironic that she is talking about those in denial and she doesn't see how she is actually fueling racism. Totally working against the cause she thinks she is supporting.

Many people of lighter skin find the term "whites" offensive. It doesn't matter though because "whites" are bad unless they talk shit about other "whites".

I find it odd on a Buddhist forum but not all Buddhists are the same.
    Not like the "whites".

Walker
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Omar067 said:

I don't know what the guy did to deserve being arrested but after watching the video:

1. Bad move taking on two cops
    2. Bad move taking their taser
    3. Surely the cops could've found another way to restrain him again than shooting him?
    edited June 2020

@David said:

@Shoshin said:

I find it ironic that she is talking about those in denial and she doesn't see how she is actually fueling racism. Totally working against the cause she thinks she is supporting.

Many people of lighter skin find the term "whites" offensive. It doesn't matter though because "whites" are bad unless they talk shit about other "whites".

I find it odd on a Buddhist forum but not all Buddhists are the same.
    Not like the "whites".

It also makes me wonder about what this woman thinks about all the other people who feel the same as these fragile "whites" about not seeing colour.

Sorry Bruce. You're just another "fragile white".

WalkerSuraShine

After meditation this afternoon I realized I can support my black brothers and sisters and call them black while asking for the same kind of respect in turn which is not to label me white.

You find it offensive if I do not consider you black and I find it offensive to be called "white".

I wonder if I will get that same respect.

Only time will tell.

Thanks everybody, that was nice.

• This woman on Al Jazeera is full of it. Ask Asians in the US who have been huge recipients of Black violence keep how they keep studying. (She brought up her brother how she could study) She brought up white supremacy. What do you call it when a larger stronger ethnic (Black) group persecutes a weaker (Asian) group?

The Asians are completely disenfranchised. Nobody gives a f#%* about them. They are even discriminated in Universities. Especially at Harvard. Yes white liberal Harvard. God I love liberals. In spite of this Asians are very successful in the US.

My sources? https://www.financegeek.org/chinese/black-on-asian-crime/
    https://whiteprivilegeisntreal.org/black-vs-white-crime-statistics/
    https://www.ibtimes.com/white-black-crime-vs-black-white-crime-new-statistics-show-more-killings-between-2424598

I almost forgot. How does this lady in the Ted Talk explain the success of Nigerian Immigrants. They are the most educated demographic in the USA. Was it white racism?

My sources?https://www.ozy.com/around-the-world/the-most-successful-ethnic-group-in-the-u-s-may-surprise-you/86885/

https://www.ozy.com/around-the-world/why-nigerian-americans-strive-so-hard-at-school/85432/

• bartbart New
    edited June 2020

Sorry, my last post was referring a video to a link provided by Soshin.

• Here is an interesting opinion from a black American women.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited June 2020

@bart I'll agree with you that there are lots of data points that partially undermine and add important nuance to the current growing narrative around race. I don't think that should lead us to be hard hearted toward the injustices that POC have faced through the generations and continue to face and the ongoing impact that has on people. Especially as a Buddhist, which since you're here I'll assume you are.

If I'm getting where you're coming from I'd say you think there is more to racial disparities than white people being racist towards black people. That personal responsibility and the decisions people make matter quite a bit too. Personally I somewhat agree, I think history is really important here and probably isn't being properly taken into account in your world view. POC didn't dig the hole they find themselves in, they were put there and for a long time, even continuing today in smaller ways, were put back down anytime they actually started to dig themselves out. Rip black people away from their homes, strip them of their traditions and family ties, beat them down and utterly dehumanize them for generations. Then when they get legal freedom keep the boot on their necks for a few more generations robbing them of the chance to build wealth and opportunities for their children and expect them to not be at least a little angry and demoralized. Not to mention Indigenous populations.

IMO Candace Owens just parrots conservative talking points, there isn't much substance to her. If you are interested in black voices that embrace a more color blind view of race I'd recommend the regular conversations Glenn Loury and John McWhorter have, I also think Coleman Hughes is unbelievably brilliant and articulate. They're doing a decent job of disagreeing without being particularly disagreeable.

Jeffrey
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran

@Bunks said:

@Omar067 said:

I don't know what the guy did to deserve being arrested but after watching the video:

3. Surely the cops could've found another way to restrain him again than shooting him?

It is a possibility, but I doubt that they were going to take a risk of tasting the pain from a taser.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2020

If a policeperson doesn't have the skill to accurately place a shot into 6-inch circle at a 20 ft distance, from multiple positions, then they shouldn't be allowed to carry a side arm until they can.
    Yearly retesting should be a condition of employment.
    Stop the military style policing seminars that tell them to become the predator when drawing their side arms.
    Train them to consider alternative shooting target locations beyond the center mass of the chest (like maybe the ass when you're that close).
    Make all officers wear body cams with the promise of a weeks' worth of knarly paperwork every single time any present officer can’t provide a record of their interaction with the public.
    Have it harnessed to the officer in a way that it won't come off in a scuffle?
    It shouldn't be this hard to mandate as many video recordings of every single potentially actionable offense as there are officers present.
    The police unions should have their tax status tied to their success at enforcing membership compliance.

Hardline...Maybe! But not as hardline as having our policing organizations institutionalizing racially motivated killings (as the stat's imply) and turning our streets into battlegrounds by their unwillingness to hold their officers accountable for it.

BunksShoshinDavid

Well said @how

@Omar067 said:

@Bunks said:

@Omar067 said:

It is a possibility, but I doubt that they were going to take a risk of tasting the pain from a taser.

Surely there's an alternative to ending the life of a father, a brother, a son...

how
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Maybe @Bunks
    Or maybe not. What if he got away with that taser and used it on somebody else?

How did they allow him to take it from them?

This discussion has been closed.