Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What movies are you watching?

1234568»

Comments

• Home away from home: The untold story of Canada's 'Little Tibet'

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2022

The Bastard Son of The Devil Himself.
    Netflix UK.

Pretty good.
    And it's British.

• @federica said:
    The Bastard Son of The Devil Himself.

The song in the netflix trailer is so good.

federica
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think the liminal space Veteran

@FleaMarket said:

The city I grew up in was a Jewish enclave, the directors grew up there, and this movie is set in my hometown. It was kind of exciting to have a big movie like that about the no name place I'm from.

• @person said:
    The city I grew up in was a Jewish enclave, the directors grew up there, and this movie is set in my hometown. It was kind of exciting to have a big movie like that about the no name place I'm from.

That's pretty cool.. are there many connections between your hometown and the film? How'd the town receive it?

• personperson Don't believe everything you think the liminal space Veteran

@FleaMarket said:

@person said:

That's pretty cool.. are there many connections between your hometown and the film? How'd the town receive it?

Its been too long since I've seen it. I remember a few references to local things, like a beach, and the houses and streets looked like they belonged. Aside from that I don't remember it being too much about the location though. As far as the reception, I (and the rest of my family) had moved away by then and weren't plugged into the local news.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I watched The Joker a couple of nights ago, found him portrayed in a surprisingly sympathetic manner as a man with mental health issues, basically schizophrenia. It shows you what could happen to a man with these conditions if all the things around him go wrong.

But it also casts the Batman / Joker conflict as a class struggle between the rich (Batman) and the underclass of Gotham City (the Joker). The Joker shows how Arthur becomes a bit of a hero figure to the disaffected who seek to rebel against the wealthy and powerful. The clown masks worn by his followers to me almost feel like a reference to Anonymous and the V for Vendetta masks they use.

lobster

I watched this… it was in the news and I had a trial of HBO Max. On the face of it it is a pretty simple thriller, but the themes of it, especially relating to male dominance, stay with you for a while after it finishes. There is some thought behind it.

• When Bob Marley Came To Britain

• FleaMarketFleaMarket Veteran
    edited January 2

A little loud

A little light relief…

Strangely enough this movie had a little dhamma in it. It was about the samsaric power of desire and clinging….

• God Bless America: How the US is Obsessed with Religion ....and so it would seem... guns...

• lobsterlobster Veteran

That was terrifying @Shoshin1
    if you bring children up in a cult (and this sort of fundamentalism is a cult)
    you end up with … well I will leave others to tell …
    Buddhism as a choosing (for most of us) is a pragmatic and
    healing template. Too rigid and it too may end up cultish …

Know the signs …

Shoshin1
  • @lobster said:
    That was terrifying @Shoshin1
    if you bring children up in a cult (and this sort of fundamentalism is a cult)
    you end up with … well I will leave others to tell …
    Buddhism as a choosing (for most of us) is a pragmatic and
    healing template. Too rigid and it too may end up cultish …

Know the signs …

Yes, my first thought was WTF...