Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@newbuddhist.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take up to 48 hours. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Covid19 Infodemic...Conspiracy Theorists Playground...

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

There are many alternative life stylers on the island, many are activists for one cause or another, we have pro mask wearing, anti mask wearing pro vaccinations, anti vaccinations, Covid19 believers, Covid19 deniers and those who float in between...

Conspiracy infodemics often pop up ( fueled for example by deep mistrust for local authorities, corporations or xenophobia ) and some well educated people are at the forefront of instigating them...Fortunately there are other well educated people (debunkers) who will nip the conspiracy theories in the bud, with evident and facts....

It's important to have and maintain an open mind, (after all ....nothing is certain) but also important to show discretion when it comes to uncertainty (of which this virus's origin and true impact it is having world wide is yet to be fully determined/understood) which leads me personally to err on the side of caution ...

It comes down to "Ehipassiko" see for oneself and when it comes to the virus's impact on the world's population, I see the deaths, suffering, fear of the unknown, ignorance ( in not knowing, and also denial of what is) take hold, and many people gripped with different levels of stress & anxiety ...sadly for some it can be quite debilitating.... Anxiety can lead one to clutch at straws...fragments of truth that often make up conspiracy theories....

However instead of trying to cover the world population with face masks of calm abiding peace, I have taken a leaf out of Shantideva's book and like many others I choose to cover my own nose and mouth...and may others follow suit...

If Covid19 is a big money making hoax or a ploy by governments to control citizens by fear, as some scientists/people believe it to be, or whether it's the real deadly deal as many scientists believe is the case...I lean towards what the majority of main stream scientific evidence is telling us, however this does not mean I have blind faith....

It means I respect other people's opinions (whether I agree with them or not they have a right to voice them, but also with this right comes a responsibility not to cause harm when doing so)....

I have chosen to follow the Buddhist principle of "Do no harm" (or the least harm possible under the circumstances)...which leads me to follow the scientists and health experts advice, (along with my own research "within")....in doing so I feel I'm doing the right thing at this present moment in time....

In the long run only time will tell and either way... peace of mind will be there...well this is the plan :)

What's your Middle Way amidst this infodemic of misinformation sweeping the world ?

コチシカBunksVastmind

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think the liminal space Veteran

I've come to sort of a pragmatic relationship with conspiracy theories. There are way more conspiracy theories than there are actual conspiracies, so as my default setting I maintain a healthy skepticism of them until there is actual evidence of said conspiracy. You're much more likely to be a dupe by believing in them than you are to be a sheeple by not believing in them.

I've also had some success pushing back against conspiracists with this sort of logic. I'll say something like, "Mmm I don't know, there are way more conspiracy theories than there are actual conspiracies. I make a point of not believing them unless there is a fair bit of proof."

ShoshinWalkerVastmindBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

My policy is to join the best conspiracies: 🤪

eg.

• Lady GAGA (Green Activists Go Ape)
    • YRu the next branch of XR (extinction rebellion)
    • COP (Compost Our Politicians)

and so on ...

howShoshinKerome
  • KeromeKerome Love, love is mystery The Continent Veteran
    edited August 18

I’m on the debunker’s side of conspiracy theory, I usually point out that someone is making money off these theories, from YouTube views, from adverts, from peddling their influence.

In terms of covid19 it’s hard to see who benefits... if it is a conspiracy, who stands to gain anything by it? I see only losers in the general economy.

Nerida
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Kerome as resident potato head (confirmed by scientific questionnaires - See Morgan Freeman in previous posting in this thread) I would suggest that disaster capitalists, capitalise on any disaster. Created or not.

... and now back to the conspiracies chaos (aka dukkha).

[lobster plants head and waits for seeded growth] 🥔

how
  • DavidDavid some guy Veteran

@person said:
    I've come to sort of a pragmatic relationship with conspiracy theories. There are way more conspiracy theories than there are actual conspiracies, so as my default setting I maintain a healthy skepticism of them until there is actual evidence of said conspiracy. You're much more likely to be a dupe by believing in them than you are to be a sheeple by not believing in them.

I've also had some success pushing back against conspiracists with this sort of logic. I'll say something like, "Mmm I don't know, there are way more conspiracy theories than there are actual conspiracies. I make a point of not believing them unless there is a fair bit of proof."

I've come to the same conclusion. What I like to say is that if I were involved in a big conspiracy, I would make up a bunch (at least a dozen) of conflicting theories of said conspiracy and leak them all to different sources as soon as the public catches wind of the real conspiracy. That way the real conspiracy is hidden by all the contradictory theories like a needle in a haystack.

Then I wink and say "but good luck!"

ShoshinlobsterpersonBunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

A good conspiracy theorist will go to great lengths to make sure they plant tiny (and not so tiny) seeds of doubt into the minds of gullible members of the general public, which will go/grow against, any helpful information a government has in place, in order to enhance the conspiracy theorist's own self interest (well not just the general public...politicians are not immune...not mentioning any names here ;);) )....and in some of the more susceptible , these self nurturing seeds will eventually grow into mythical unicorns...and some will start to see unicorns appearing wherever they look..(See @federica first post) :)

@federica said:

I kid you not.......................

Keromelobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

to reinforce what @federica and @Shoshin have said:

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
    They don’t alter their views to fit the facts.
    They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Which can be uncomfortable …
    if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering

The Fourth Doctor Who [yes I do know her]

When I created this conspiracy that the Eiffel Tower does not exist ... 🤪
    http://web.archive.org/web/20041214232853/http://pages.britishlibrary.net/lobster/et/

... It is a warning that people including Miss Govts believe their own spin-out-of-control.

Clarity of mind, one of the delights of practice 😎

Shoshin
  • Vastmindhow
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

One of my favourite recent conspiracy theories was that the country I live in doesn't actually exist......

I suspect even the person who came up with it had their tongue firmly stuck in their cheek.

https://theculturetrip.com/pacific/australia/articles/some-people-think-australia-doesnt-exist-heres-why/

Shoshin1lobster
  • I have chosen to follow the Buddhist principle of "Do no harm"

Better than being a crazed unicorn. I too believe we can do good healing ...

How!

• Serve
    • One Love
    • Game

Anyone for spiritual tennis?

Covid is only the manifestation, the cause is perpetual indulgence ...
    [not to be confused with our dear sisters ...]
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisters_of_Perpetual_Indulgence

• LBArt23LBArt23 California New

This is great. I was just on one, got bored and decided to come to NewBuddhist because it just connects with me better. Some conspiracy’s are true but most are not, hence, why their so annoying.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@LBArt23 said:
    This is great. I was just on one, got bored and decided to come to NewBuddhist because it just connects with me better. Some conspiracy’s are true but most are not, hence, why their so annoying.

How do we know which are true and which are not?

• @Bunks said:

@LBArt23 said:

Simple ...just ask Trump ;)

lobsterWalkerBunks
  • ChoephalChoephal UK Explorer

@Shoshin1 said:

@Bunks said:

@LBArt23 said:

Simple ...just ask Trump ;)

And then believe the reverse.
    Actually he is a reliable guide on most issues. Just as long as we remember that his North is the sensible persons South and vice-versa.

lobsterhowBunksShoshin1
  • Dear Friends,

The pandemic is funding more money towards the enriched. Oh dear where are the radical conspiracies. I am looking under my bed to fund a red conspiracy to join ...
    https://www.doubledown.news/watch/

Keep it real

• I am looking under my bed to fund a red conspiracy to join

BunkslobsterNerida