Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

All things Sport(s)

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    Only the Premier League spent more on players than the Saudi Arabian football league did this summer. Surprising, and quite a lot of players in their prime years went there.

Money talks! 💰💰💰

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited September 2023

No it doesn’t. Not a word, not a dickeybird. Just the rustling of paper notes.

@Jeroen said:
    No it doesn’t. Not a word, not a dickeybird.

Brian Johnson would wholeheartedly disagree

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited September 2023

Watching a bit of the AC Milan v Newcastle match in the Champions League. Still 0-0 at halftime, but really Milan should be 2-0 up, they had some decent chances but really poor finishing. It seems some of the Newcastle first choice players were missing, and their squad doesn’t really have that much depth. There were some subs on in the second half and right at the end they had a good chance to snatch a win. But it finished a - fairly entertaining - 0-0 draw.

Arsenal looked good in their 4-0 win over PSV, maybe this will be their year to win.

Bunks

@Jeroen said:
    Watching a bit of the AC Milan v Newcastle match in the Champions League. Still 0-0 at halftime, but really Milan should be 2-0 up, they had some decent chances but really poor finishing. It seems some of the Newcastle first choice players were missing, and their squad doesn’t really have that much depth. There were some subs on in the second half and right at the end they had a good chance to snatch a win. But it finished a - fairly entertaining - 0-0 draw.

Watched the highlights yesterday. Definitely lucky to get away with a point.

In the conference league, AZ Alkmaar were playing a small team from Bosnia, Zrjinski Mostar. By halftime they were 3-0 up and cruising. By the end, they lost 3-4. The first time a Dutch team that was 3-0 up in a European game still ended up losing! The press has labelled it a dark day in the team’s history…

• I am looking forward to watching the Berlin Marathon on Sunday. Eliud Kipchoge, the best marathoner in history and the first person to break the 2:00:00h barrier, will be running. Due to his age, this might be one of his last marathons. He is wise, simple, and determined, and I also enjoy watching his talks.

Jeroen

Dutch football’s classic match between Ajax and Feyenoord was abandoned a little after the halfway point when fans started throwing fireworks onto the pitch… Feyenoord were leading 3-0 at the time. I’m sure Ajax will get some repercussions from this, and they were already having one of the poorest starts to a season in living memory.

Bunks
  • @marcitko said:
    I am looking forward to watching the Berlin Marathon on Sunday. Eliud Kipchoge, the best marathoner in history and the first person to break the 2:00:00h barrier, will be running. Due to his age, this might be one of his last marathons. He is wise, simple, and determined, and I also enjoy watching his talks.

Here's how good Kipchoge is: he won the Berlin Marathon on Sunday, running totally alone in front for the last 10km. But, he did not break (his) world record nor run under 2hrs, so noone was particularly impressed :)

Bunks

Newcastle beat Sheffield United 8-0 on Sunday. It was the first time in Premier League history a team has had 8 individual goal scorers.

I’m following a bit of the NFL in the US, there is a key match coming up between the Buffalo Bills (a team who have been good for the last few years) and the Miami Dolphins (big spending upstarts in a tough division) tonight. Wondering how it will turn out, it may be a critical make or break moment early in the season.

Bunks

The Bills devastated the Dolphins, 48 points to 20. So that was pretty clear.

Bunks

I’ve been following PSV in the Champions League. They qualified for the group stages this year, which was pretty good, and were drawn with Arsenal, Lens, and Sevilla in what looked like a relatively easy group. But they lost their first game away to Arsenal 4-0, which was kind of expected because the Gunners are probably the strongest team in that group, but now yesterday they drew 2-2 at home with Sevilla. The signs are not good.

I think defensively they are just not solid enough to compete at the top level. They have this Argentine central defender, Ramalho, who occasionally makes a blunder and doesn’t have such a strong long range pass, which you need when you’re trying to build good play from the back.

Good enough to win the Eredivisie this year maybe, but not good enough to advance in the Champions League I think. It’s a pity, because this is the strongest team they have had in years.

Good victory for Newcastle over Paris St Germain at home, 4-1 is pretty impressive over a team as star-studded as PSG.

Bunks

This popped up in my YT recommendations @Jeroen - thought you may be interested

Jeroen

Yeah… the departure of Erik ten Hag and Marc Overmars from the management and a lot of key players from the first eleven was devastating for Ajax, and they haven’t bought well. The club’s finances are under pressure and we will have to see how they recover. They will have to spend more on transfers next year, I think.

The American baseball playoffs are under way, it all leads up to the World Series and so far a lot of favourites like the LA Dodgers, Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays haven’t performed and have gone out. And it’s been the first time in 30 years that the New York Yankees, the Boston Red Sox and the San Francisco Giants haven’t even made the postseason.

What remains is the Houston Astros, who have made a habit of playing tough, as well as three outsiders, the Arizona Diamondbacks, Texas Rangers and Philadelphia Phillies. It’ll be interesting to see who will contest the WS this year.

• So far behind...Don't know who is where in the European football, Haven't a cliue of he standing of the All Black, American Football is a jumble and I hane no idea when Water Polo kicks or what's going on in Motocross..But is has been great weather locally for casual Motorcycle ridingng.

BunksSuraShine

American football can be a bit of a jumble, because the season is only 18 weeks long they don’t all play each other, and it’s hard to know who is strong and who is weak. But that’s why they have divisions and playoffs, to keep it somewhat fair.

The Buffalo Bills, the Kansas City Chiefs, the Philadelphia Eagles and the San Francisco 49ers seem to be the strongest this year, as a rough guess, with the Miami Dolphins and the Dallas Cowboys looking in.

• I watched and enjoyed the recent Netflix 8-part series documentary on David Beckham. I thought both he and Posh Spice were more honest and genuine than I'd have expected. Even though he is not very animated, I still found him quite interesting, and even relatable.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nUVNbJMWi_c

Bunks

Of course the Eagles and the 49ers both lost this weekend, so now there are no unbeaten teams this season…

So the Philadelphia Phillies and the Texas Rangers both won the first two games of their League Championship series, so they have a very good chance to win and advance. Looks like we will have a World Series between these two teams.

After the European Championship qualifiers in the footie (where the Netherlands beat Greece 1-0 and England beat Italy 3-1) we are going to go back to league play. It’ll be interesting to see how Ajax progress, they drew 0-0 with a midtable team last time they played and are still close to the relegation zone.

@Jeroen said:
    So the Philadelphia Phillies and the Texas Rangers both won the first two games of their League Championship series, so they have a very good chance to win and advance. Looks like we will have a World Series between these two teams.

The Astros have turned it around to lead 3-2

edited October 2023

@Bunks said:
    The Astros have turned it around to lead 3-2

Yes I saw, it was quite some game last night between the Astros and the Rangers. The Diamondbacks also levelled their series 2-2, so anything can still happen. Both games last night featured 3 run comeback wins in the last few innings, a bit of a rarity.

Bunks

Now the Rangers have struck back to level the series 3-3 and send it to a deciding game 7, exciting stuff! Max Scherzer on the mound for the Rangers, a legit ace but older, against Javier who has been pitching well for the Astros.

edited October 2023

The Rangers won game 7 and the series, knocking the Astros out, to many people’s satisfaction. The Astros are generally disliked for a cheating scandal a few years ago, it still hangs about the club. So the Rangers made it to the World Series.

The other series has also now gone level to 3-3 and will have a deciding game 7 between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Philadelphia Phillies.

Ajax lost last weekend in their game against bottom club FC Utrecht, it was 4-3 in an astounding display of horrible defending. They are now 17th out of 18 in the Eredivisie, with 5 pts from 7 games played. They ended up firing their coach last night, and we will have to see who they bring in to replace him.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2023

The basketball NBA season starts with regular season games tonight. So it's past pre-season. Most teams have some new players and some trades were made in the off season sending a reshuffling of superstars to various teams. Also there are new first year players and including even a generational talent of Victor Wembanyama who has incredible height, skill, intangibles, etc. Maybe his only weakness is his inexperience and playing very physical wearing on his body is the way to defend him maybe. He will play for one of the best coaches all time, Popovich, on the San Antonio Spurs. Also other players who were top draft choices one or a couple years ago might have their breakout season. On my favorite team Jonathan Kuminga is an example.

Jeroen

It’s really odd, the two championship series in the baseball have evolved exactly in parallel, and the Diamondbacks have won the National League pennant and gone through to the World Series.

The Champions League returns this week, I’m just watching Feyenoord v Lazio, it’s a pretty decent game but getting a bit niggly.

edited October 2023

The Champions League is always entertaining. Lens v PSV a 1-1 away draw, Feyenoord v Lazio a 3-1 home win (although they did give away a very silly penalty). So perhaps there will be some involvement by Dutch teams in the knockout stages.

But Ajax lost 2-0 to Brighton in the Europa League, who are doing quite well in the Premier League at the moment. Which continues Ajax’s losing streak, despite that they are under a new interim trainer. They haven’t yet turned the corner.

edited October 2023

Ajax lost 5-2 to PSV in the Eredivisie last weekend, so they are now in LAST place, 18th out of 18 with 5 points from 8 games played. There were some signs that they were playing better against PSV, coming back to 2-2 before giving up three goals, two of which were rather silly. And they have two games in hand. But in the stands some fans were playing as the ‘degradation ghost’, which does not bode well.

The Texas Rangers won the best-of-seven baseball World Series against the Arizona Diamondbacks by 4 games to 1. They finished with an unbeaten 11-0 record for on-the-road games in the postseason.

Ajax won 2-0 versus minnows FC Volendam in the Eredivisie, so they are now out of last place and away from the degradation placings.

And South Africa won the Rugby World Cup I saw, a little while ago.

I have to say, I am quite enjoying the Eredivisie football this year. Many teams aren’t as slick as say the top Spanish sides, but it has a kind of rough truthfulness to it.

Feyenoord lost 1-0 away to Lazio in Rome in the midweek Champions League fixtures, and they may well come to regret it. They have now lost away to Atletico de Madrid as well, leaving them with six points from four games. Wins at home to Celtic and Lazio have put them in third place in the group, below Lazio on seven points and Atletico on eight.

That inability to get at least a draw in away games is going to be critical in the CL, where a win at home and a draw away is the classic pattern of dominance in a home-and-away tie. But Feyenoord typically play weaker opponents in the Eredivisie, and so they are not as practised at defending and getting a strategically important draw. As it is, after the group stages they would continue in the Europa League.

There was an occurrence in the Jets v Dolphins game in the NFL on Friday, which just made me raise an eyebrow. The Jets were behind on points, and were making a desperate effort to get back in the game. So they lined up what is called a ‘Hail Mary’, a long range throw from deep in their own half to the Dolphins end zone, in the hope of one of the receivers pulling off a great catch and scoring a touchdown.

It didn’t turn out that way. One of the Dolphins defensive team caught the ball instead, which is called an interception, and as if that wasn’t bad enough (usually having the ball intercepted means the loss of a scoring opportunity and turning over the ball to the other team) the defender started to run the ball back towards the Jets end zone. He evaded the entire team that was between him and the end zone, returning the ball the length of the field for a touchdown.

Indeed. Eyebrow raised, indeed.

• There have been and continue to be some crazy plays in NFL or college level American football.

One historic is the marching band and fans came on the field before the game was actually over and one team expected to be the loser came out on top because they scored the ball. This one I read about in the 80s when I was a kid in the school library.

A couple years ago my team UM and their in state rivals MSU it was down to the last play of the game and all my team had to do was punt the football away as time ran out. Punting is when you fail to make a first down and you can choose between trying a final try (and losing the ball if fail again), and punting the football maybe 60 yards down field to make the other team advance that yardage against your defense. Well the punter bobbled it and tried to kick it but their team took the ball and scored. The punter would have been much better to just collapse to the ground but not lose possession of the ball then try to kick.

Another crazy one was a long field goal (small chance to make because distance) a team instead of putting 11 people (whole defensive team) to block the field goal they had 1 guy in the end zone and he caught the missed field goals and returned it all the way to the end zone of the other team!

Rest in Peace Franz Beckenbauer

The playoffs are happening in the American Football, it’s down to just eight teams, four of them played last night and it looks like the Baltimore Ravens are quite a bit better than the rest, the San Francisco 49ers also squeaked through.

Tonight the Tampa Bay Buccaneers play the Detroit Lions and the Kansas City Chiefs the Buffalo Bills, and then we will know the lineup for the two Championship games. The winners of those then play in the Super Bowl in Las Vegas on 11 Feb.

So the Chiefs narrowly beat the Bills, and the Lions beat the Buccaneers. Which means it will be:

The Chiefs @ The Ravens, in the AFC game
    The Lions @ The 49ers, in the NFC game

The Chiefs beat the Ravens in a game which was all about defences, and the 49ers beat the Lions who couldn’t stop the runs by Christian McCaffrey. Curious games both, for different reasons.

So the Super Bowl will be played by the Kansas City Chiefs v San Francisco 49ers, on Sunday February 11th. The smart money is on the Chiefs to win…

There is a lot of kerfuffle in the NFL fan forums at the moment about the romance between Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce, the star tight end of the Kansas City Chiefs. She attends almost every game and the cameras frequently get her in view, so much so that there are people who keep stats on the number of times, length and total time spent viewing Taylor Swift in each game.

By the way, did you know that the average NFL game, which is roughly a 3 hour televised broadcast, contains only 19 minutes of actual play? The rest of it is getting into position and breaks and things.

• For those who like breathing and extreme sports

marcitko

The Super Bowl was played last night, it was a close game, the Kansas City Chiefs won 25-22 in overtime.

• IdleChaterIdleChater USA Veteran

I am proud to say I didn't watch one single minute of NFL play this year.

lobsterSuraShine
  • Keep up the good work @IdleChater <3

Sport is just pretend or actual war preparation. Even though I like martial arts and understand the benefits of sport ... I will stick to gentler relaxations such as:

@lobster said:
    Sport is just pretend or actual war preparation.

I always thought it was more a practice for the teamwork of the hunt.

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    The Super Bowl was played last night, it was a close game, the Kansas City Chiefs won 25-22 in overtime.

I avoided it when everyone started fangirling over the match at work.

Now that Rugby League is back it's started off well with my beloved Roosters beating our arch nemesis the Bunnies 46-10