Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

All things Sport(s)

12345679»

Comments

• LionduckLionduck Veteran

I remember way back when an American Baseball team with nothing but Triple A payers was upgraded to the Major League. They were grossly outclassed by the the entire league. But the were fun to watch as they were somewhat unpredictable. One time, the center fielder snagged the ball way back (deep) in Center Field. He knew the runner was going fot home and the run. Normally, because of the distance, a fielder would throw the ball to the second baseman or the short stop (both infielders) who would the rifle it to the catcher. However, as he knew that would give the runner time to beat the throw, he instead, in a remarkable play, threw the ball straight to the catcher just in time for the catcher to tag the runner out. They still lost the game, but play had everybody on their feet. For many of the fans, that one play was worth the admission.
    Of course, eventually, through experience and acquisitions, the Angels became a championship team. But that single play remains one for the books.

JeffreyJeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Champions League final today, 21.00 CET at Wembley. Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund.

DagobahZen
  • DagobahZenDagobahZen Veteran

@Jeroen said:
    Champions League final today, 21.00 CET at Wembley. Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund.

Can you see a surprise on the cards here or will it be Madrid as expected?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Dortmund are usually very sound defensively, they might snatch it 1-0 if they can keep Madrid from scoring. It will probably be Madrid though. I’m planning to watch maybe a half hour or so.

DagobahZen

It was a close game, Dortmund had their chances in the first half. Once Madrid scored from a set piece it was only going to go one way.

DagobahZen
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 25

Go Edmonton Oilers! Go Canada! Game 7 the last game of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Florida Panthers versus Edmonton Oilers. Puck drops soon

Romania v The Netherlands in the last 16 of Euro 2024 has just kicked off. We will have to see if the Dutch shoot themselves in the foot again like they did against Austria.

Bunks
  • marcitkomarcitko Veteran

Portugal vs Slovenia yesterday evening was a cliff-hanger. 0-0 at 90 minutes. In extra-time, Ronaldo missed a penalty and the Slovenes missed a "100% chance" (striker vs just the goalie). In the penalty shoot-outs, the Portuguese goalie saved three penalties in a row and secured a victory for Portugal.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Will England go home on the weekend?

They’re against the Swiss, so you’d think they have a good chance to go through. But you never know, Southgate is a bit of a bungler if you ask me. He should play Palmer from the start of the match. Not a great tactician that man.

The QF’s…
    Spain v Germany (crunch tie, should be a good game)
    Portugal v France (two good defences, likely to go to penalties)
    Switzerland v England (the English should win if they can be bothered)
    Netherlands v Turkey (the Dutch should win if they remember to defend)

Spain has been the best passing team at the tournament and are well built to keep possession, but other teams like Germany (Fullkrug, Musiala, Sane) have better forward lines and more goalscoring threat.

I’m guessing

Germany v France
    England v Netherlands

In the Semi’s, and really any of those can win. I think Germany are favourites, the Dutch are the underdogs.

@Jeroen said:
    I’m guessing

Germany v France
    England v Netherlands

In the Semi’s, and really any of those can win. I think Germany are favourites, the Dutch are the underdogs.

Spain vs Portugal
    Switzerland vs Netherlands

Spain vs Netherlands final.
    My prediction

Netherlands to win

Nathan Ake to score the winning goal.

A headed goal

So Spain v France tomorrow (think it will go to penalties) and England v Netherlands on Wednesday (the Dutch to spectacularly self destruct).

100.000 Dutch fans have come visiting in Dortmund…

Bunks

@Jeroen said:
    So Spain v France tomorrow (think it will go to penalties) and England v Netherlands on Wednesday (the Dutch to spectacularly self destruct).

So the Spanish won with a spectacular goal from Yamal, and the English won via a dubious penalty. I know who I’m rooting for in the final on Sunday.

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

¡Viva España!

lobsterBunks