Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Hi Mark - welcome. Do sit ..... har har har! (that's the level of humour you can expect from me)
  • edited March 2006
    Hi there Mark.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hi, Mark. Welcome!

Laughed MAO at your Bush remark.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Thanks for the welcomes folks. :)

Tim
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I don't want to get all mushy or anything, but I just wanted to add that I've just had a moment of appreciation for the fact that we have an age range here of which I can't help feeling is indicative of what a successful site is. ( What is up with that run on sentence?) I mean we have teenagers and people in their 60's (I'll have to check the Members page to find out what the biggest number is) and every age in between.

And we're all united in our wish to find a way to be happy in the world, and in our interest in Buddhism. This is cool. Big age range is a good thing. We're lucky to be able to communicate like this.

K.
    Bye

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Mushy is fine, Brigid. It's nice to be included as a human being even though you've crossed some imaginary line in the sand.

:)
  • edited March 2006
    Hello Sangha,
    Federica, Brigid thank you for answering my question. I was just curious, seeker is fine.
    Wecome to everyone new. Buddhism can be very helpfull to humanity with the suffering, I am glad to see it spread for the benefit of all.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited March 2006
    BTW,

Hello all you folks from E-Sangha, I go by AllinOne over there:

Elohim, Fede, TimWees, Satori, Kowtaiia, BeautifulSpringtimeFist & Vacha. Sorry if, I'm leaving some out.

Good to 'see' you all.

_/\_
    metta
  • EonEon
    edited March 2006
    Hello all,

I thought I'd introduce myself for a change :rolleyesc

I'm a 36 year old male from the Netherlands who goes by the name of Erik offline.

I encountered buddhism (Zen actually) about two years ago when I was looking for something to deal with the run-away thoughts in my head.
    After being thoroughly confused by the Three Pillars of Zen, I discovered Brad Warner and Joko Beck. Their writings touched something deep inside me, and I knew I had no choice but to explore what they were writing about....

So, after sitting on my own for a while, and failing to connect to two local groups (mostly due to my own misunderstandings), I did find one I could connect to.

My favorite buddhist writers (apart from Warner and Beck) are Steve Hagen, Shunryu Suzuki, Hubert Benoit, Pema Chodron, and Tich Nhat Hanh (when he isn't going on too much about flowers and love). Jiddu Krishnamurti is maybe even more favourite than the ones before, because he annoys me in a major way.

Oh, and vajrayana/dzogchen bothers the hell out of me, after encountering some, to say the least, dogmatic followers of it in another forum. Just to let people know what my biases are :grin:

Looking forward to talking to you all.

Eon
  • edited March 2006
    Good to meet you Eon. Do you know the Zen River Zen community in Holland by any chance?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    ZM.....Is there anyone you DON'T know......??

(I bet I know what he'll come back with......)
  • EonEon
    edited March 2006
    Good to meet you Eon. Do you know the Zen River Zen community in Holland by any chance?

Good to meet you too.
    I actually read some of your posts on e-sangha and quite liked them.

I don't know the zenriver community actually. I did watch a documentary about it.(there is a little bit of Buddhist tv in Holland), and found it interesting.
    I see the abbot over there is a dharma heir of Genpo "Big Mind" Roshi. He has some more here in Holland.....
    Anyway, the temple I go to is from Jiyu-Kennet's lineage. You're probably familiar with that one too.

Oh, just curious, what is your opinion on the "Big Mind" thing?
  • edited March 2006
    federica wrote:
    ZM.....Is there anyone you DON'T know......??

(I bet I know what he'll come back with......)

LOL, it's just that the abbot of Zen river is a dharma brother of mine honest.
  • edited March 2006
    Yes I am familiar with Kennet Roshi's lineage. It's just about the only Zen group in the UK that I had any time for at all. I think they're one of the few Zen groups that really do walk the walk. As for 'Big Mind', my personal opinion is that it's utter bollocks. Notwithstanding that, Genpo is the clearest teacher that I've personally encountered, hence my taking him as my teacher, but I do wonder what on earth he's doing with the Big Mind nonsense.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    I thought you'd come back with the 'Jeeves-like' -
    "I don't know yet...."....!!

That explains it.
    Doubtless, when we get back to the UK, you'll be able to point me in the right direction for available centres near to where I'll be... wherever that will be....!! ;)
  • EonEon
    edited March 2006
    I see they do 2-day retreats at zenriver.
    I think I'll attend one of those and air my gripes about the food, accomodation, teacher and sitting conditions here :p
  • edited March 2006
    LOL! Give my regards to Tenkei Sensei when you get there.
  • edited March 2006
    federica wrote:
    I thought you'd come back with the 'Jeeves-like' -
    "I don't know yet...."....!!

That explains it.
    Doubtless, when we get back to the UK, you'll be able to point me in the right direction for available centres near to where I'll be... wherever that will be....!! ;)

I can do that right now - Throssel Hole in Hexham, Northumberland, I'd put first on the list, the Western Chan Fellowship in Wales and the Dogen Sangha in Bristol.
    edited March 2006
    Marked, read and inwardly digested.... Thanks for those....

"What would I do without you, Jeeves....?":grin: :ukflag: :rockon:
    edited March 2006
    For anybody else in the UK who may be interested, this is the info. I have dug up, as follows:

This is the Throssel Abbey website......

This is the Western Chan Fellowship website....

and finally,

This is the Dogen Sangha website.....

The one in Wales seems very isolated and remote.... but their instructions on how to get there, different transport and timetables is meticulous and precise, not to mention extremely considerate!

Thanks again, ZM.....
  • EonEon
    edited March 2006
    Oh, and for those who don't plan to visit, but do like some good dharma material :

Throssel Hole's sister monastery (Shasta Abbey) has a 7 hour audio series on dependent origination (for the masochists among us :crazy: )

http://www.shastaabbey.org/talks1.htm

The Western Chan fellowship has some excellent dharma talks too, including one on the Heart Sutra.

The Dogen Sangha has some stuff on the Shobogenzo. I know I wouldn't understand a word in that thing on my own....
  • edited March 2006
    Hi Eon from another OBCONer ! :wavey:

Fede, I can really recommend a trip to Throssel when you get back over here. All you need to do is pop onto the M1 for a few hundred miles! (it's worth it though)
    The scenery that the abbey is set in is absolutely beautiful.
  • EonEon
    edited March 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    Hi Eon from another OBCONer ! :wavey:

Hi Frizzer, :wavey:

Somehow, I never thought I would meet another OBCONer on the net.
    It looks like you've been to Throssel. Care to share some of your experiences?
  • MichelleMichelle Explorer
    edited March 2006
    Hello,

I'm new to Buddhism and I'm having a great time reading all of the posts here.

I became interested in Buddhism quite some time ago- but have not studied seriously until now.

To be honest , I'm a bit intimidated by the vast amount of information there is to absorb - I'm searching for a good starting point.

I was raised Baptist (yes, I know...LOL) and have been on a Spiritual path for 10 years. I feel that Buddhism will give me the focus that I feel I am lacking.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Blessings,
    Michelle

edited to add a bit about myself :
    I'm 38 . A full time wife & mom with 4 beautiful daughters. I read Tarot, am studying palmistry, and am a Reiki II practioner.
  • edited March 2006
    Welcome to all!
    Brigid, I loved your 'mushy' post!

sharpie
  • edited March 2006
    Hi Michelle and welcome.

Eon, sorry for the long delay replying, I've been away! :)

Throssel Hole is a lovely place to visit. I've only been there for a 3 day retreat but I'll definately be going back there and hopefully, if I feel ready, I'll be going there for Jukai next year to take the Precepts.
    The Abbey is up in the North of England not too far from the Scottish border.
    If you ever get the opportunity to get over there I really recommend it. The monks that we met were extremely friendly and approachable and the whole surroundings of the place are conducive to a meditative state of mind.
    However, make use of the earplugs that are available as we all slept in the main zendo and snoring can be a bit of an issue !! :D

There are photos of the Abbey on the website that Federica posted.

Did you get a visit from Rev Master Haryo a few weeks ago?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Welcome to all!
    Brigid, I loved your 'mushy' post!

sharpie

Thanks, Sharpie!

Welcome, Michelle and Eon.
    Hope you have fun and we're glad to see you.

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Hey everyone,

My name is Kyle, I'm a 21 year-old student in Los Angeles, CA. Found this site quite randomly while doing some "Googling" on Buddhism. I was raised in a devout Christian home, but when I came to college I began to think more openly about my life and spirituality.

I picked up a book at a Border's recently, "The Three Pillars of Zen: Teaching, Practice, and Enlightenment" by Philip Kapleau and instantly became interested in pursuing Buddhism.

As I am quite the newbie, I figured being a member of this message board might help me with questions as I begin practicing Zazen and learning about the Buddhist path.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say I'm looking forward to learning and contributing with all of you!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hi, Kyle. And welcome!!
    Glad to see you.

This is the perfect place for newbies and we're a pretty good bunch of people. We're learning and practicing together and discussing all sorts of interesting things and you're most welcome here. It's always nice to have new people.

Make yourself at home and ask any questions you feel like asking. You'll get all sorts of perspectives from all different traditions. We have a Zen monk called Genryu and a Tibetan monk called Palzang and many others who have a lot of knowledge and wisdom to share.

Contribute as much or as little as you want and know that you're more than welcome here in this warm place of learning and sharing.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Hi all: I started reading all the intros but my eyes got bleary. I'll have to backtrack later. Here is my thumbnail:

1. I live in South Florida US.
    2. I work for money in the beauty industry (salons, skincare, nails, makeup, hair)
    3. But my love is arts. I like to paint.
    4. Other hobbies include blogging (see my site through my profile) and learning to cook, garden.
    5. Some of my favorite thinsg is sitting on my porch watching the carnes etc, long hot bubble baths with trashy magazines, getting massages!

How did I get into Buddhism? I started running into zen students and teachers while in San Francisco doing my thing. I was lucky to have run across great teachers and centers in my casual encoutners. What I saw stayed with me long time.

Flash forward a decade or so, and the taste of zen basics I had kept close to my hearty started unfurling. Ibegan sitting meditation and that has een my small lesson for last couple years. I now am a zen student, full of stories, big ears to listen and and laughter to share.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hi Kyle,

Welcome, as well to all the rest of the newcomers. I just wanted to tell you that when I first became interested in Buddhism, which happened way back in the Dark Ages of the early 1970s when I was stationed in Japan in the Air Force, the first book I read when I got back to the States and started studying in earnest was The Three Pillars of Zen. I found it very helpful also, and I think the fact that it is still in print today attests to that. There are some good threads here on how to meditate and other subjects that should be helpful to you as you set out on the path. Good travels!

Palzang

P.S. I'm not, as Brigid says, a "Tibetan monk" but an "American Tibetan Buddhist monk!" LOL :grin:
    edited March 2006
    Michelle, Eon, Kyle and LatinaMermaid:
    Welcome to you all.
    Hope you have a wonderful time with us

Open up, jump in and joint the club - !! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Oooopppsss!!!

Sorry, Palzang. Don't know where my head's been at. :crazy: :rolleyes:

Kyle, there's an illustrative error for you! LOL! Palzang grew up in northern Illinois. He's American and is also a Tibetan Buddhist monk.

Which brings up a question or two, while we're on the topic.
    What's the correct description of Genryu? Is it right to call him a Japanese Zen monk practicing in the Soto Zen tradition? His photo's on his avatar so I don't have to say he's not Japanese.

And is there a shorter description for you, Palzang? I'm just curious. For example, what's the reason Tibetan monks don't call themselves Vajrayana monks? Do Theravadan monks call themselves Theravadan? How does all of this work? What are the general rules of usage? Are monks from Thailand called Thai Buddhist monks?

Brigid
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    It's not a big deal, Brigid. I was just teasing a little. I don't refer to myself as a Vajrayana monk simply because 90% of the people don't have a clue what Vajrayana is, but they probably have heard of the Dalai Lama and know that he is a Tibetan Buddhist. So it's just easier. Now, if I was in Mongolia, I'd call myself a Vajrayana monk because they don't consider themselves Tibetan Buddhists. They're Mongolian Buddhists! When I was there last summer, we had a three hour lecture from a lama friend there on the superiority of Mongolian Buddhism to Tibetan Buddhism. We finally couldn't contain ourselves anymore and burst out laughing, whereupon he began to quickly backpedal and tell us how much respect he had for the Tibetans, etc., etc. It was all quite hilarious!

As for ZenMonk Genryu, I see no point in calling him a Japanese Zen monk because Zen by definition is a Japanese form of Buddhism. In China they call it "Ch'an". Same character, different pronounciation. So you've already indicated that he studies in a Japanese school of Buddhism when you say Zen.

As for your head, if I see it rolling by anywhere, I'll catch it and tell it to go home! :poke:

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2006
    federica wrote:

Open up, jump in and joint the club - !!

That sounds like fun, Fed - but exactly how do you joint a club? :winkc:

Palzang
  • MichelleMichelle Explorer
    edited March 2006
    Thank you all for the wonderful Welcome !

Blessings,
    Michelle
    edited March 2006
    Palzang wrote:

That sounds like fun, Fed - but exactly how do you joint a club? :winkc:

Palzang

I'll send you the form... ignore question d, sub-section 7a, question 42, unless, of course, you do come from the planet Zgrozrak... send the usual four photo's (two profiles, one back, one front, - aerial views no longer necessary) and the subscription charge requested (equivalent to 35,000,000 Zgrozrakian phlerghmes) and I'll evalute your application!

easy!! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    It's not a big deal, Brigid. I was just teasing a little. I don't refer to myself as a Vajrayana monk simply because 90% of the people don't have a clue what Vajrayana is, but they probably have heard of the Dalai Lama and know that he is a Tibetan Buddhist. So it's just easier. Now, if I was in Mongolia, I'd call myself a Vajrayana monk because they don't consider themselves Tibetan Buddhists. They're Mongolian Buddhists! When I was there last summer, we had a three hour lecture from a lama friend there on the superiority of Mongolian Buddhism to Tibetan Buddhism. We finally couldn't contain ourselves anymore and burst out laughing, whereupon he began to quickly backpedal and tell us how much respect he had for the Tibetans, etc., etc. It was all quite hilarious!

As for ZenMonk Genryu, I see no point in calling him a Japanese Zen monk because Zen by definition is a Japanese form of Buddhism. In China they call it "Ch'an". Same character, different pronounciation. So you've already indicated that he studies in a Japanese school of Buddhism when you say Zen.

As for your head, if I see it rolling by anywhere, I'll catch it and tell it to go home! :poke:

Palzang
    Great post, Palzang. :lol:

That's cool about the Mongolian monks. I didn't know that about them. This is the kind of stuff I really want to know about because I think it's so interesting.

Thanks for being so kind and gentle with me. :buck: ;)

And please feel free to tease me anytime you want. :thumbsup:

Fede,

My forms in the post. I want to joint, too!

Brigid
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Great post, Palzang. :lol:

That's cool about the Mongolian monks. I didn't know that about them. This is the kind of stuff I really want to know about because I think it's so interesting.

Thanks for being so kind and gentle with me. :buck: ;)

And please feel free to tease me anytime you want. :thumbsup:

Fede,

My forms in the post. I want a joint, too!

Brigid

I'll take a joint as well :)

-bf
  • edited April 2006
    Hello Friends,

Just a quick warm welcome to all the new people. I'm new to Buddhism, and this site, but if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to let me know.
  • edited April 2006
    Hello! I accidentally introduced myself in the wrong place so I'll try it again.
    I'm new not only to this forum but to Buddhism as a whole. I'm 20, English, a complete atheist and currently lost somewhere between student and slacker. I'm rumoured to look something like this: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/a389/skye20057/?action=view&current=100_0655.jpg (the pic's a bit too big to post. I'm the blondish girl at the front, in the David Bowie t-shirt)
    edited April 2006
    You didn't post in the wrong place... you jus' posted twice!

Which is nice!

Pardon me, have we met before....?? :lol:

(Your pad's a bit draughty....!!)

;)
  • edited April 2006
    federica wrote:
    You didn't post in the wrong place... you jus' posted twice!

Which is nice!

Pardon me, have we met before....?? :lol:

(Your pad's a bit draughty....!!)

;)
    I do believe we have! Your avatar isn't forgettable ... mmm, shiny ...
  • edited April 2006
    Welcome White Bumble and everyone else :)

I'm a newb to all this too and although I've been quietly (EDIT: I meant quiet! :rolleyesc ) lately, it's simply because I'm working really hard on some new, exceptionally inane questions to ask ;) :buck:

Sas (But not THAT Sas :lol:)
    edited April 2006
    WhiteBumblebee, (You'll probably find the affectionate many will shorten that!) MrsKarmadillo will tell you we're not a bad bunch. You can ask anything you want, and broach any subject you wish. We'll all respond, and chances are you'll get similar responses, and yet different... because there are no absolute 'Right' answers to many things... Much of the time, Buddhism is a personal voyage of discovery, and the comments and posts will at least hopefully aid you in creating a bigger and better(?) picture for yourself, whatever you may decide to do.
    There are no restrictions, constrictions or hard and fast rigid rules in Buddhism, other than the ones you may impose on yourself.
    There are precepts and guidelines, and those you will discover along the way.

Enjoy!!

(OK. Serious bit over....!!)
  • edited April 2006
    federica wrote:
    MrsKarmadillo will tell you we're not a bad bunch.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhh yep :skeptical :o :grumble: :rolleyes:

:lol::D
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hello, WhiteBumblebee, and welcome to our online Sangha!:)
  • edited April 2006
    Hello everyone!

My real name is Ryan. I am a twenty-four year old, second-year University Student in the small city of Regina in the province of Saskatchewan, in Canada. I am currently pursuing a Bachelor of Arts with a major in Japanese.

There isn't much of a Buddhist community here, but I read a lot and have found wonderful resources online, so I'm not starved for information. My lifestyle also allows me to practice the dharma, which is a blessing for which I'm very grateful.

I was really first introduced to Buddhism through a book. I used to work in a bookstore part-time, and for full-time employment I was working for AT&T Wireless (before they were purchased by Cingular). While I was working for them, I found that my personal morality was being thrown into question because I was being asked to lie for the company and prevented from helping people who needed help (with unfortunate billing issues) due to company policy.

So this created a conflict in me from the beginning. The stress of working two jobs also aggravated that conflict. So it set the stage for a real need for something meaningful that dealt directly with the nature of suffering, its causes and cessation.

Around that time, at my bookstore, a number of people were buying an introductory book on Tibetan Buddhism. It was very strange, and I was curious to find out what all the fuss was about. So I purchased the book and began to read through it, and within the first chapter I knew that I had found something that would become very big in my life.

That was, oh, about three years ago.

I eventually quit my job for AT&T Wireless and went back to the bookstore for close to full-time. It was quite a pay cut, but it also cut out a lot of inner conflict and stress, so it was a good move. While there, I contemplated where I wanted to take my life, and I decided that I would like to go to University. I chose to major in Japanese because I was interested in the language, culture, and history. I still am, of course.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hi, Ryan and welcome.

Glad to see you.

Brigid
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Oooops! I forgot to say that I used to work for Cingular Wireless after they bought AT&T! It's just occurred to me that you might know Kylie, who was a supe in Regina before moving back to Cornwall, Ontario. Did you, by any chance, know her?

Brigid