Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Welcome Chill, enjoy the forum!
  • sandysandy Explorer
    edited July 2010
    :wavey: everyone!
    I've been lurking about for a couple of weeks and am happy I've found this board. There seem to be quite a few posters here that seem to resonate with my way of thinking, and I read a post today that made me go ahead and take the plunge and register. (for the curious, this post is the one that [strike]struck a chord[/strike] played a whole symphony with me.)

I have just begun studying and am currently learning about all the different traditions. I'm still trying to get my meditation into a routine habit but it can be difficult to do between work and school. Any tips towards learning to balance a busy life are always welcome :D

I am currently studying to be a commercial photographer and am a smiley lover and a cat lady. Any further questions will be answered to the best of my ability and whenever I have a spare moment to visit.

Sandy
    edited July 2010
    Welcome Sandy :wavey:

Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited July 2010
    Hey everyone, well I just want to say like all the others before me, what a wonderful resource this is. I have been lurking for a week or so reading as much as time can permit and have decided to make an account and join in the discussion.

A bit about me following in the tradition of those before me:

Name: Donnie
    Sign: Virgo
    Hair: Light brown
    Eyes: Blue
    Height: 6'4
    Weight: 235lbs
    Born: Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
    Live: Gothenburg, Sweden
    Favorite book: War & Peace, Tolstoy
    Favorite band: Eddie Vedder, The Unseen, Flogging Molly (To many to choose from really)
    Favorite food: Sushi, Mexican
    Favorite movie: Superbad
    Favorite colour: Dark Green

Well a bit of history about me. I really don't know what I would classify myself as religiously. I have always believed in protectors if that makes any sense, ancestors watching over us, spirits in magical places and other paths of paganism, especially Norse traditions have always struck a chord with me. Really though I am not a practicing anything and have only lately started looking for some answers. Until this point I have always lived according to this quote by Nietzche:

"Ask of yourself what is the purpose of life, and if no answer is readily available, then set for yourself high and mighty goals, for I can think of no better use of life than perishing in pursuit of the great and the impossible."

That quote has led me down a very rich path of extreme experiences so far in my young life. I have travelled far through many countries, I have seen mankind in all different shapes and forms, I have lived with the dredges sleeping on a cot in a homeless shelter or under a bridge and I have drinken champagne with the wealthy while discussing business endevours. I have lived on less than 5$ a day while hitchhiking around North America and I have made over 20,000$ a month working in sales. I have been up and down and all around, but I have never really been happy. I have always dreamed of the impossible, each dream bigger than the next. I have striven to experience all the world has to offer, no longing or appetite deemed to unruly wether judged as morally wrong or not. I have always tried to live as a good man who likes to dip his toe in the cesspool of moral wrong occasionally for the firsthand experience.

I have always had a bit of a problem with alcohol. I am not an alcoholic as in I drink every day but more of a binge drinker that when I decide to go out it is in a big way, usually with big regrets. A dream that I had for last year was to open my own business and I worked very hard for that, saving much expecting my girlfriend wanted to go down the same path but near the end of my goal I discovered it was me pushing her down the path, that perhaps she would be more content with a simpler easier life, something I have always been jealous of in her as I have always found averageness boring. So being extremely discontented I partied most of the business savings away that I had spent so long working for and woke up to realize I was more miserable then ever. We are getting married in 6 weeks and have a baby on the way in 5 months and I am in some desperate need of finding a calm in my life. The storm within me is raging and I seek refuge. I don't know that Buddhism is for me, but I am seeking answers and from what I have read already I can understand that my intense suffering comes from dreams of the impossible.

So now I am reevalluating and taking stock, perhaps I have been living wrongly? Something has drawn me to this new path, before a week ago I had never given Buddhism a second thought.

Well there is my whole soul bared for you, I thank you all for being such a wonderful part of this forum and I look forward to talking to each of you.

Donnie
  • edited July 2010
    Hi and welcome, Donnie. :)
  • edited July 2010
    Hello everyone. I'm not unfamiliar with Buddha Dharma but I had not, until recently, endeavored to learn about it in depth.

About a year ago, I informally adopted Hinduism. However, my actual practice is purely mystical in that I practice Eknath Easwaran's Eight Point Program for passage meditation, which draws upon scriptures and insights of all the great religions. Sri Easwaran was particularly fond of the Buddha, calling him the greatest of spiritual teachers.

Having faced some terribly dark patches in my spiritual practice of late, I have realized that I may have settled on Hinduism and developed an unhealthy attachment to certain ideas. I am pursuing a study of Buddha Dharma as part of my efforts to blaze a trail through the thicket.

Details:

My spiritual journey has been riotous, leading me from Southern Baptist Christianity to Wicca to Celtic Reconstructionism to Hinduism over the last ~20 years.

I homeschool my daughters.

I'm developing an intense liking for Thich Nhat Hanh.

I rescue, foster and adopt animals.

Despite my progress in meditation, I'm still not very good with people.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Welcome all new members! Enjoy the forum and have a fruitful journey.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome new members!! This is a great place with lots of great perspectives.
  • edited August 2010
    Just stopping into say hi.

I have just started out on my buddhism path so hopefully i will get to know quite a few of you from all the questions that i have :D

Love and Peace
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I rescue, foster and adopt animals.

Yay!
    edited August 2010
    Welkom everyone!
  • edited August 2010
    Hello!

I'm Arco-Iris (which means "rainbow" in Portuguese), I'm a lady from Portugal and I'm 32. I've been interested in Buddhism for a few years and, as I was looking for more information, I ended up here - seems a very nice place to learn. :)

Kind regards
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Arco-Iris!
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Arco-Iris wrote: »
    I'm Arco-Iris (which means "rainbow" in Portuguese), I'm a lady from Portugal and I'm 32. I've been interested in Buddhism for a few years and, as I was looking for more information, I ended up here - seems a very nice place to learn.

Hi Arco-Iris! Rainbow in Spanish is the the same. I'm always happy to see someone from Portugal, because it reminds me of my best friend. She's from Portugal too and she is an amazing person. I think she's from Faro or somewhere like that.

Enjoy the forum and best of luck on your journey!
    edited August 2010
    Bem-vindo Arco-íris, eu espero que você aproveite o fórum e encontrar o seu olhar para todos os :wavey:

Atenciosamente,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    G'day all!

I hate introducing myself as I find it awkward, but it's always nice to relate something other than an avatar to a newbie :D

I've not been lurking long, but I quite like the feel of this board compared to other ones I've visited. I don't have access to a large or even whole sangha (at least, without moving interstate) so I've been looking for an online forum to supplement that need :D

I don't subscribe to any particular tradition, though the more westernised versions seem to make more sense at the moment. I have a thing for Zen/Ch'an, though, especially Layman Pang - such an awesomely wise smartarse!

My own practice is quite patchy and inconsistent, and I've only been "doing it" for a couple months. My meditation has been wonderful, and sometimes it has been utterly terrifying and emotionally shattering. I've experienced a little dharmachandra - if that's the right word - and experienced a tiny amount of that indescribable stillness and silence which people talk about. I still eat meat on occasion, I occasionally drink, and my mind has an intense need for imagination and fantasy - hence I read a lot and play video games too much! :D

I'm also weird.

So there's my intro - and a newbie hi to all the newbies before me! One of the best things about Buddhism is that it attracts such a rich and diverse array of people to practice, and I find my own practice inspired and deepened by listening to others' experiences :D

Metta,
    Gecko.
    edited August 2010
    Gecko wrote: »
    my mind has an intense need for imagination and fantasy - hence I read a lot and play video games too much! :D

There's nothing wrong with imagination and books. Every great thing started as a daydream :D
    Gecko wrote: »
    I'm also weird.

You'll fit right in :wavey:

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    You'll fit right in :wavey:

Ta! :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Hello, and a big welcome to all newcomers.
    may you all find something wonderfully interesting here. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Hi there

I started my yoga practise just a few days ago.
    I am deeply moved by Ghandi and B K S Iyengar

great to ''meet'' you

Papaya
    xxxxxxxxxxxx
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Gecko and Papaya!

Papaya, I love yoga! Great form of meditation for me.
  • edited August 2010
    isn't it great :)
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Papaya :wavey:

kind regards
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    hallo :)

love love love your avatar pikky :)
    edited August 2010
    Thank you :o

Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    Hello, my name is Eddie and Im 31, married and all that jazz...well the other day i was in a thrift shop in my home town and all of a sudden i caught in the corner of my eye a book. The book is a book of quotes from Buddha for everyday of the year. (i know its one of those kinda books but still) I have "avoided" Buddhism in the past because of false ideas about it...always i have been interested in Hinduism, similar things, but thought of Buddhism seldom. See...i was raised a Jehovahs Witness, and having left that group at the age of 23, I searched in the back of my mind for something spiritual that would work with my heart and my head..Christianity has never really done it for me. Ive tried a few things, and i had a basic knowledge of most religions. But buddhism was always something i felt wasnt for me. I was sooooo wrong. Anyway, long story short I have been reading alot, watching alot of youtube things on buddhism, and the more i find out about Buddhism the more i feel so good about things. I wanted to share this with you guys because maybe you had a similar awakening, or would like to help me with ideas on what to do now? :D From what I have gathered from reading, Buddhism isnt something that is used like other religions are used..its not something to use as a label, or a bragging point. But I feel so happy about finding this it really is touching. Ill stop ranting for now, but hopefully I can make friends here and also learn from everyone. Thanks for reading. :D
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome from a fellow Virginian! I had sort of a similar experience when one day I realized that I'd always been a Buddhist, I just didn't know it :) I'm happy things have started to click for you. Loads of really fine folks here.

Mtns
  • edited August 2010
    Thank you so much Mountains!
  • edited August 2010
    I guess this should have been in the introduction area of this board. sorry folks
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2010
    what to do now?
    Sit and stare at the floor, breath in and out and get enlightenment.:D
  • edited August 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    Sit and stare at the floor, breath in and out and get enlightenment.:D

What happened to staring at the wall?! Poor wall :(

I've had a lot of my newbie enthusiasm for Buddhism come from "that book" sitting innocently on a bookshelf, waiting for me to walk by and glance towards it. I was also inspired by the '70s Kung Fu TV series starring David Carradine :D

Definitely get into some sitting (or walking?) practice - meditation is essential to the practice of Buddhism! I'm not sure what particular practice everyone else has started on, but I found mindfulness of breathing a fantastic starting point. I love sitting as still and calm as a rock for ages :D
  • edited August 2010
    Hi people, below are the details of which I would like to introduce myself.

Name: Michael
    Star Sign: Sagittarius
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown/Green
    Place of Birth: London

Favourite Music: (Vinyl) Davy Graham, Bert Jansch, July, The Velvet Underground, Talking Heads, Fairport Convention, Grace Slick, John Martyn...

Favourite Books: Doors of Perception, The Master & The Margarita, Love is a dog from Hell, Buddhism Without Beliefs, The London poor & The London Labour...

Favourite Films: Dawn of the Dead (original), Don't Look Now, The Mother & The Whore, Rosemary's Baby...

I would like to learn more on Buddhism... and meet some people on here who can discuss and help me.

Thanks
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Love is a dog from Hell

I love Bukowski :)
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah!!... Bukowski could be very dark with words...
    'Love is a dog from hell'. What a brilliant read.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Yeah!!... Bukowski could be very dark with words...
    'Love is a dog from hell'. What a brilliant read.

I don't know which of his books are my favorite, but I really like What Matters Most is How Well You Walk Through the Fire.
  • edited August 2010
    Name: Shawn
    Sign: Aquarius
    Hair: blonde/brown
    Eyes: green or blue
    Height: 5'6"-ish
    Weight: i think like 125-30
    Born: IL, USA
    Live: same
    Favorite book: too many
    Favorite band: changes often
    Favorite food: noodles+olive oil+garlic=awesome
    Favorite movie: way too many
    Favorite color:red
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Eddie, Michael and Shawn :wavey:

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • edited August 2010
    I'm new here, nice to meet you! After being a woefully depressed atheist/agnostic for years, raised in an egotistical, materialist, western culture, I have decided that Buddhism is what I need. I need spiritual guidance - or just good wisdom - to make it through life without falling back into dismal despair. I like how Buddha implores you to test his teachings for yourself, and how he uses logic and tested experience to back up his claims. If there was a Buddhist temple nearby, I would go - but the nearest one to me is 2 hours away. I don't have time for a commute like that. How can I evolve into an awesomely spiritually enlightened, Buddhist person without having the spiritual temple environment, and without having a teacher? It seems very difficult. (Especially when you're living in a Christian family). I suppose that I just need to wake up early, and study for a few hours each day from books I bought at Borders - right? How did you guys become super Buddhists? Did you go to temples? Were you taught by monks, who took you by the hand to teach you? Did you just read some stuff online, or in books that you bought? Did you take an extended study-abroad to Japan? Did you become a monk? Were you taught by your parents or friends? I have read the Dhammapada, and some books about the Dalai Lama and Buddhism - but I need more.

Thanks pals, :)
  • edited August 2010
    I am by no means a super Buddhist. I can't exactly call myself a buddhist. But I do beleive and adhere to many of the beliefs in Buddhism. I have started my journey toward enlightenment much like you have. Spent majority of my life having been beat with a bible (Metaphorically) by and overly zealous mother. Seeing all the crookedness and bigotry in christianity and some tragic events that involved some wartime I turned agnostic. Now I'm just trying to find answers to life's questions. Who am I? Why am I here?. . . etc. That is why I am attracted to Buddhism. It wants you discover yourself and make you and everything around you better. I myself have a few temple nearby. But honestly I feel to uncombfortably to go. Hence is the reason why I practice alone. There is Buddhanet.net is a great place to go for info on buddhism. http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14 will help you find some other books for recommended reading. I welcome you to the forum and wish you life and prosperity.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    bean taco wrote: »
    I'm new here, nice to meet you! After being a woefully depressed atheist/agnostic for years, raised in an egotistical, materialist, western culture, I have decided that Buddhism is what I need. I need spiritual guidance - or just good wisdom - to make it through life without falling back into dismal despair.

Welcome to the forum. I hope your exploration of Buddhism helps you find the wisdom you are seeking, but try not to put unrealistic expectations on it. No religion can prevent the possibility of falling into despair, as you put it, but hopefully with practice you can learn techniques to help you through difficult times. For me, it has been important to learn this myself and remember the first noble truth - there is suffering.
    I like how Buddha implores you to test his teachings for yourself, and how he uses logic and tested experience to back up his claims.

:om:
    How can I evolve into an awesomely spiritually enlightened, Buddhist person without having the spiritual temple environment, and without having a teacher? It seems very difficult. (Especially when you're living in a Christian family). I suppose that I just need to wake up early, and study for a few hours each day from books I bought at Borders - right?

It would be very difficult, but not impossible. If you truly want to seek out and find a teacher you can, but it's okay if you don't have one right now. It's fine to just read and meditate privately if you don't feel comfortable around your family. Whatever method works best for you is what matters.
    How did you guys become super Buddhists? Did you go to temples? Were you taught by monks, who took you by the hand to teach you? Did you just read some stuff online, or in books that you bought? Did you take an extended study-abroad to Japan? Did you become a monk? Were you taught by your parents or friends?

SUPER BUDDHIST TO THE RESCUE!!! :rockon:
    :lol:

I'm sorry, I'm just messing around. I don't think many people would use that term to describe themselves, especially ones who became monks. My studies began similarly to what you described, by reading books and finding my own path.

Meditation takes practice, like anything else.
    I have read the Dhammapada, and some books about the Dalai Lama and Buddhism - but I need more.

Have you checked out the Recommended Reading thread? There's lots of good books on that one. I'd definitely recommend reading a book all the way through before starting a new one.
    Thanks pals, :)

You're welcome buddy. I like tacos :D
  • edited August 2010
    I am by no means a super Buddhist. I can't exactly call myself a buddhist. But I do beleive and adhere to many of the beliefs in Buddhism. I have started my journey toward enlightenment much like you have. Spent majority of my life having been beat with a bible (Metaphorically) by and overly zealous mother. Seeing all the crookedness and bigotry in christianity and some tragic events that involved some wartime I turned agnostic. Now I'm just trying to find answers to life's questions. Who am I? Why am I here?. . . etc. That is why I am attracted to Buddhism. It wants you discover yourself and make you and everything around you better. I myself have a few temple nearby. But honestly I feel to uncombfortably to go. Hence is the reason why I practice alone. There is Buddhanet.net is a great place to go for info on buddhism. http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14 will help you find some other books for recommended reading. I welcome you to the forum and wish you life and prosperity.
    Hey, thanks a lot Aeonuniversalis! Nice Chuck Norris pic. I appreciate the links - I will check them out. It looks like we have a lot in common! But I feel that you are doing a huge injustice to yourself by not going to the temple because of feeling uncomfortable. Being a part of my depression I had social anxiety for years, and still do a bit. Though I know for a fact that "coming out of your box," or "coming out of your shell," or just facing your fears is always the right way to go. If you do not, you simply don't know what you are missing. Spend time at the temple until the fear or uncomfortableness is gone, and then make the decision with a clear mind whether or not the temple environment is good for you. I know that it is tough to do, but you must do it if you want to be happy. If you already know that this temple is a bad one, then try another. I am sure that if you keep trying hard and searching, in the end you will be glad with what you find.
  • edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum. I hope your exploration of Buddhism helps you find the wisdom you are seeking, but try not to put unrealistic expectations on it. No religion can prevent the possibility of falling into despair, as you put it, but hopefully with practice you can learn techniques to help you through difficult times. For me, it has been important to learn this myself and remember the first noble truth - there is suffering.

:om:

It would be very difficult, but not impossible. If you truly want to seek out and find a teacher you can, but it's okay if you don't have one right now. It's fine to just read and meditate privately if you don't feel comfortable around your family. Whatever method works best for you is what matters.

SUPER BUDDHIST TO THE RESCUE!!! :rockon:
    :lol:

I'm sorry, I'm just messing around. I don't think many people would use that term to describe themselves, especially ones who became monks. My studies began similarly to what you described, by reading books and finding my own path.

Meditation takes practice, like anything else.

Have you checked out the Recommended Reading thread? There's lots of good books on that one. I'd definitely recommend reading a book all the way through before starting a new one.

You're welcome buddy. I like tacos :D
    Thanks Mugzy! I appreciate the warm welcome!
  • edited August 2010
    Oh wow. I love Kung Pow! I have it on VHS! "Taco Bell, Taco Bell, product place met with Taco Bell. Enchirito, Nacho Burrito." Oh My Gosh, I need to watch that soon!!!
    edited August 2010
    LOL, welcome bean taco, it's nice to have you :)

Kind regards,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
    edited August 2010
    Welcome new friends!
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Hi everybody, here's my thingymajig;

Name: Paul
    Sign: Virgo
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Hazel
    Height: 5'10"ish
    Weight: 180lbs
    Born: Gloucestershire, England
    Live: Berkshire, England
    Favorite book: The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
    Favorite band: Don't have one
    Favorite food: Curry I suppose
    Favorite movie: A Scanner Darkly
    Favorite colour: Red, or Blue. Maybe purple...

I've been exploring religions for about 13 years, during that time I've taken a couple seriously, those being Kemetic Paganism and Gnostic Christianity. I was raised in a non-religious household and have a natural inclination toward the sciences and logical thinking, so ritual has never appealed to me, nor has unquestioning faith. Inevitably I grew disillusioned with any religion I adhered to.
    I came across Buddhism about 7 years ago, but it was during a phase where I was more interested in exploring paganism and Wicca and ever since that time I've had a theistic mindset, and so, despite studying it on superficial level, Buddhism was just sort of ignored.
    Recently though I realised that, no matter how hard I tried, believing in a personal, intelligent god just would not sit right with me. I studied a little more about Buddhism and realised that the teachings really do make an awful lot of sense, and they fit well (for the most part) with how my brain is hard-wired, I don't suffer the cognitive dissonance I did with trying to be a theist.

I've only just started my Buddhist journey really, I'm still reading introductory books - even Buddhism for Dummies which is actually very informative :) - but I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and feel it would be a good place to ask my questions and bounce thoughts off of people following this new path that I've chosen. Hopefully I'll make some new friends here too.
  • edited August 2010
    Hello Im Jenn. Im from the West Midlands in the UK.

I am I guess what you might call a total nooby to Buddhism, although I am aware of the basics...I think.

Im a very spiritual person, who used to class herself as Pagan mixed with 'something else' however im still not sure what that 'something else' is. All I know is I feel a deep routed connection with life and living things, I am vegetarian on the basis of my spiritual beliefs, but I do falter sometimes :(

Im very interested in learning about Buddhism, iv been reading on here most of the day, and came across a thread about good books to get for beginners, Amazon are going to love me :)

Warm wishes to everyone
  • edited August 2010
    Hey guys, I havent been here in a while so I thought I'd introduce myself again.

My name is Garrett, I'm almost 16 years old (So close....like a month away:o) I live in a small town in British Columbia Canada, with a population of about 500 people? Some of my favorite things to do are swimming, meditating, reading about Buddhism, and hanging around with my friends (I dont have many, I have social anxiety and am very anti social :o) I'm homeschooled...and thats really about it! :rolleyes:
  • edited August 2010
    Hi some say in fire :)

I hope you are well.
  • edited August 2010
    Hello everyone~ I'm new to Buddhism, but I would like to learn more about it. I'm from Norway, by the way, hehe~ Hope to get along with everyone~ =)