Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Hey all,

I was born and raised catholic, but at about 10 years old I realized I didn't believe in the teachings. They just didn't make sense. I was an atheist for the next 13 years or so, until I looked up karma. That led me to Buddhism, which makes far more sense to my analytical mind. After some studying, I settled on the Theravada tradition. I was a member of e-sangha before it tragically shut down. I've been looking for a similar home ever since. Hopefully this is that home.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome happyhippo13 :wavey:
    edited August 2010
    A big welcome to you bigbuddha :wavey: I hope you enjoy your time here, learn much, give and gain plenty, and make some friends :D
  • edited August 2010
    Hello all!

I was first introduced to Buddhism by a high school French teacher, who made us read Siddhartha. I quickly rejected the teaching of not-self though and didn't really think about Buddhism again until about a year later. I had had a long discussion with a friend about the idea of the "soul" and wanted to take a more in-depth look at the Buddhist viewpoint. So I started reading about it and became very interested, looking more and more into Buddhism.

I was introduced to meditation through Taekwondo and started practicing it seriously a bit before getting into Buddhism.

I'm 19 years old and will be majoring in Chemistry, starting this fall. I'm a nerd and love elecrtonics as well, I'm into radio controlled model aircrraft (mainly helicopters) and am in the process of building a Tesla coil.

I look forward to chatting with and learning more from you guys!

Dan
  • edited August 2010
    Hello Waves! Siddhartha is a great book!! :)
  • edited August 2010
    Hello everybody, Very pleased to be here and to share knowledge of Buddhism.:):)
  • edited August 2010
    Hi! Welcome aboard. This is a really nice forum. I hope you enjoy your stay. : )
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Waves :wavey:
  • edited August 2010
    It's great to have you here. Welcome

Waves wrote: »
    Hello all!

I'm 19 years old and will be majoring in Chemistry, starting this fall. I'm a nerd and love elecrtonics as well, I'm into radio controlled model aircrraft (mainly helicopters)

Dan

I'm also a Chemistry major (well, Biochemistry, I'm a chemistry with 3+ Bio electives). I finish this spring.
    Waves wrote: »
    Hello all!

and am in the process of building a Tesla coil.

Dan

I wish I had the time... Please send pictures when you're finished!
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)
    atappa wrote: »
    Hello Waves! Siddhartha is a great book!! :)
    Yep! I read it again recently in English (found a really old copy in my basement). Got a lot more out of it this time.
    I'm also a Chemistry major (well, Biochemistry, I'm a chemistry with 3+ Bio electives). I finish this spring.
    Cool, what do you plan on doiong after?

I wish I had the time... Please send pictures when you're finished!
    Will do! It's getting there, just need to accumulate more pickle jars to make capacitors with :p

Dan
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome to the forum.We will look forwards to your views on the many subjects discussed here.
    edited August 2010
    What's a tesla coil?
    edited August 2010
    Cool!
  • edited August 2010
    Very, Very Cool Waves, i've always wanted to see something like that in person. Have you seen that group of guys that dress up in all sorts of protection, get in the middle of two coils, and allow the electricity to pass through them? Its amazing!
    edited August 2010
    I know! Once in science when we were younger we lost one of our connections so someone put their finger between two wires and the bulb lit :hair:
  • edited August 2010
    Hello everybody!

I suppose I should give a general introduction here! My name is Blake, I'm 17, a senior in highschool (just got back to school today). In a year, I plan on attending the University of North Texas' Jazz school - I play guitar.

I've been lurking this forum for about a month now, and a few months prior discovered Buddhism. The user title the forum gave me is for the most part accurate, I still consider myself a seeker. I began studying Buddhism in order to begin to gain insight on various beliefs, and I've found I really connect with the teachings. I started by purchasing In the Words of the Buddha by Bhikkhu Bodhi and The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thic Naht Hanh - the latter purchase based off of recommendation from this forum. Currently, I am learning and practicing Zazen and Shikantaza meditation, ala Treeleaf Zendo.

Sorry if I interrupted the current conversation :P I thought I'd make a little introduction as I signed. I'm looking forward to participating in discussion.
  • edited August 2010
    Blake wrote: »
    Hello everybody!

I suppose I should give a general introduction here! My name is Blake, I'm 17, a senior in highschool (just got back to school today). In a year, I plan on attending the University of North Texas' Jazz school - I play guitar.

I've been lurking this forum for about a month now, and a few months prior discovered Buddhism. The user title the forum gave me is for the most part accurate, I still consider myself a seeker. I began studying Buddhism in order to begin to gain insight on various beliefs, and I've found I really connect with the teachings. I started by purchasing In the Words of the Buddha by Bhikkhu Bodhi and The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thic Naht Hanh - the latter purchase based off of recommendation from this forum. Currently, I am learning and practicing Zazen and Shikantaza meditation, ala Treeleaf Zendo.

Sorry if I interrupted the current conversation :P I thought I'd make a little introduction as I signed. I'm looking forward to participating in discussion.

Welcome, Blake

The current discussion was just about making huge amounts of electricity... not much depth there

I recently purchased the miracle of mindfulness on recommendation of this site also. I have yet to start it though.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome to all you young'uns (and any old'uns that snuck in meanwhile)! You are most fortunate to encounter the Dharma when you are still young so you have the chance to accomplish the most.

Palzang
  • edited August 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Welcome to all you young'uns (and any old'uns that snuck in meanwhile)! You are most fortunate to encounter the Dharma when you are still young so you have the chance to accomplish the most.

Palzang

Yes, I am happy I have started at the (relatively) young age of 21. That seems to be pretty young in the states, considering a conservative christian upbringing and such.

Thank you for the warm welcomes
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone :)

And welcome Blake!
    Hmm I think my Dad has a copy of the Miracle of Mindfulness, I'll have to read that one eventually.
    Very, Very Cool Waves, i've always wanted to see something like that in person. Have you seen that group of guys that dress up in all sorts of protection, get in the middle of two coils, and allow the electricity to pass through them? Its amazing!
    This guy? :eek:
    edited August 2010
    What a crazy world we live in :wtf:
    Welcome young'uns, old'uns, new'uns and orangutan'uns :wavey:
  • edited August 2010
    BzzzzZZZT!

It's alive!

ALIIIIIIIVE!
    edited August 2010
    :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Hmm, I wonder if that electric treatment would help me grow hair...

Palzang
  • edited August 2010
    If not, I'm sure we could shave off some of Frankenstein's monster's to glue on. I don't think elbow hair is in fashion, though :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I don't know, might start a new fad! We could glue it on in Dharma symbols or something.

Palzang
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome new members!! And welcome to Palzang's potential new hairs!
    edited August 2010
    The day Palzang grows hair I'll eat Frankensteins head
  • edited August 2010
    Name: Abby
    Sign: Aries
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown
    Height: 5'1"
    Weight: 120 lbs-ish? idk haha
    Born: Massachusetts
    Currently: Massachusetts
    Favorite color: rainbow ^^
    Favorite band: I like the Beatles, and Peter Paul and Mary
    Favorite food: Pretty much all kinds of rice (:
    Favorite movie: I'm not sure, there are lots of those!
    Favorite book: Same as above.

I have been raised in the UU religion, which I still am a part of. I've always been interested in Buddhism, but lately I've taken my interest much further than before.
    I am trying very hard to be a Peacemaker and a positive presence in this world.
    Right now I am a senior in high school.
    In the past I have been a very shy person in general, but I'm trying to move past this and embrace the harmony of all beings.
    I am interested in art and anthropology. Right now I think I'm going to go to college to be an elementary art teacher, because I like kids a lot; but I also hope to serve in the peace corps someday.
    I don't know a lot of buddhists so I am very excited to meet others online! :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome to the forum abbikins :wavey:
    edited August 2010
    Name: Abby
    Sign: Aries
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Brown
    Height: 5'1"
    Weight: 120 lbs-ish? idk haha
    Born: Massachusetts
    Currently: Massachusetts
    Favorite color: rainbow ^^
    Favorite band: I like the Beatles, and Peter Paul and Mary
    Favorite food: Pretty much all kinds of rice (:
    Favorite movie: I'm not sure, there are lots of those!
    Favorite book: Same as above.

I have been raised in the UU religion, which I still am a part of. I've always been interested in Buddhism, but lately I've taken my interest much further than before.
    I am trying very hard to be a Peacemaker and a positive presence in this world.
    Right now I am a senior in high school.
    In the past I have been a very shy person in general, but I'm trying to move past this and embrace the harmony of all beings.
    I am interested in art and anthropology. Right now I think I'm going to go to college to be an elementary art teacher, because I like kids a lot; but I also hope to serve in the peace corps someday.
    I don't know a lot of buddhists so I am very excited to meet others online! :)
    My second cousin's an anthrapologist who also studies wicca :D Welcome :wavey:
  • edited August 2010
    New guy here. Stumbled upon Buddhism last month and I'm studying as much as I can. I'm eager to converse with like-minded people so I've joined this forum. I look forward to taking part in some "enlightening":lol: discussions.

See you around!:D
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome, FreeWill! You'll find a bit of everything here on the forums. I hope you enjoy!
  • edited August 2010
    Name: Amanda (anyanka is just my user name)
    Sign: Aquarius
    Hair: Blond
    Eyes: Green/Blue
    Height: 5'02"
    Weight: 95
    Born: USA
    Live: Arkansas
    Favorite book: I enjoy the X-Files series of books
    Favorite band: The Birthday Massacre
    Favorite food: don't have one.
    Favorite movie: Milo and Otis
    Favorite colour: purple

Ive been interested in Buddhism for a while now but just the past few week have i actually started practicing it and apply it to my daily life
  • edited August 2010
    Salut! I am a Buddhist in search of a mellow forum since my last one went down due to technical difficulties. I live in WA and am currently challenging myself by trying to apply Buddhism to the wonderful world of retail. I enjoy reading, hiking, rpgs, cooking, and excursions to random places. Hmm...what else... I guess I could mention that I am a Taurus and I especially enjoy graphic novels of all sorts. I tend to incorporate teachings from various Buddhist denominations.
  • edited August 2010
    I'm new here -I'm Kayte. :wavey:I like the list that some others have used and thought that it might help me tell you a little about myself.

Name: Kayte
    Sign: Pieces
    Hair: gave up coloring, went Silver/gray and love it!
    Eyes: green
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: more than I should
    Born: USA
    Currently: USA
    Favorite color: earth tones
    Favorite band: older music, too many to list
    Favorite food: my homemade veggie pizza
    Favorite movie: love movies! too many to list
    Favorite book: love to read -Classics to Stephen King
    Hobbies: gardening, cake decorating, home renovations, art
    Occupation: caring for and loving my hubby, grown children, grandchildren,
    and cats

I was raised Roman Catholic. I left in the 80s because I was so bad at it. The New Age was in full swing and I explored all sort of things. I still have some crystals and divination decks somewhere. I studied under a teacher for about 10 years before I came to the conclusion that he was a fraud. It took me that long because I didn't attend his expensive seminars and only used the home study materials. When I started reading other sources and looked into Buddhism, I became more skeptical of my teacher. I reexamined his books and found ex-students who were able to show me how much of the work was plagiarized. :mad: On the bright side, I do consider it a learning experience and probably necessary for my growth. I declared myself an atheist for about a year but could not dismiss the possibility of there being something more. So, for now, I am an agnostic seeker drawn to Buddhism.

I come here to learn with you and I hope to earn your friendship.

Namaste
  • edited August 2010
    Hey to all you fellow newbies! Welcome to the forums - you'll find it easy to lose track of time reading all the posts (but, of course, there's a mindfulness lesson in that!)
  • edited August 2010
    Hello. Pleasure to be here with you all. Was reading some of the posts in the forum and was pleased to find many people who's ideas of life match closely to my own.

I find sense in most religious ideas but as with christianity i find it far too vague and doesn't fit well with how i perceive life. I've always had a love for buddhist teachings and know some of the basics and am keen to learn more.

Look forward to conversing with you al further :-)
    edited August 2010
    Welcome everyone :wavey:
  • edited September 2010
    Hello all.
    I am very new to Buddhism. I am really interested in it, have read three "Dummies & Idiots guides" along with almost finishing "The Three Pillars of Zen", with at leat four more books waiting on the shelf. I know reading is no substitite for doing, but I want to do it right. Or if not right, then not wrong :)
    This looks to be a wonderful, freindly & energetic forum from which I have already learned much just by lurking.
    I am drawn to Buddhism in general and Zen in particular. Buddhism just feels right for me and I am glad to have found this place. I have many questions and plan to be an active participant on thses forums.
  • edited September 2010
    Hey guys,
    Im JA im 19 years old and been interested in Buddhism. I was born to atheist parents thus i was not so religious, but i read about the 4 noble truths and Eightfold path and thought "you know what this sounds like a true noble teachings". Since i've been interested in becoming a Buddhist. I enjoyed reading books by Jack Kornfield and Ajahn Sumedho. Im still a beginner and hope I get some help in opening my heart and mind.

I also wanted to know what you guys think of Diamond way Buddhist centres, i joining one soon.

JA
  • edited September 2010
    Yo Zenmonkey, JA!

Zenmonkey - I have a fondness (but not enough discipline!) for Zen and Chan buddhism! Have you read any of Layman Pang's stuff?

JA - Diamond way is Vajrayana (spelling?) Buddhism, and is the 'Tibetan' path, and there a lot of awesome people here who follow that path. I've never tried Yak Butter tea, but I'd like to! :P
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Welcome zenmonkey and Jefferson Airplane :wavey: Those are both great user names!
    I also wanted to know what you guys think of Diamond way Buddhist centres, i joining one soon.

Like Gecko I only know a little bit about them, but I have heard good things. I have listened to Lama Ole Nyadahl's podcasts on iTunes, check it out if you can. If you're planning on becoming a member I assume you've been to one of the centers? If not I'd definitely recommend doing so before deciding to join.
    edited September 2010
    Welcome Zenmonkey and Jefferson Airplane :wavey: hope you find the forum helpful :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    zenmonkey wrote: »
    Hello all.
    I am very new to Buddhism. I am really interested in it, have read three "Dummies & Idiots guides" along with almost finishing "The Three Pillars of Zen", with at leat four more books waiting on the shelf. I know reading is no substitite for doing, but I want to do it right. Or if not right, then not wrong :)
    This looks to be a wonderful, freindly & energetic forum from which I have already learned much just by lurking.
    I am drawn to Buddhism in general and Zen in particular. Buddhism just feels right for me and I am glad to have found this place. I have many questions and plan to be an active participant on thses forums.

Hi Zenmonkey (and other new members). I just wanted to mention that "The Three Pillars of Zen" was one of the first Buddhist books I ever read, and a good one. You might also try "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" by Shunryu Suzuki Rinpoche. Excellent book!

Palzang
  • edited September 2010
    Hello, I'm on the organizing committee that is hosting His Holiness the Dalai Lama in Toronto this October 22, 2010. I'm honoured to be part of this and I'm humbly requesting your help to spread the word about the Public Talk that he's giving.

We are hoping that as many people will welcome him on Friday, Oct. 22 at 2:00 p.m. at the Rogers Centre where he is giving a very special Talk on Human Approaches to World Peace.

Tickets are available through Ticketmaster or by calling Rogers Centre group sales for discounts on groups of 10 or more. Group Sales: 416-341-2255 or groupsales@rogerscentre.com

In peace, Lhakpa Dolma
  • edited September 2010
    Thanks for the welcome everyone :)
    Zen Mind, Beginners Mind is either on the list of books to read or I may have already bought it and just not got around to it yet, but I will put it on the top of the list of the next to read.
    And Palzang, it looks like you are my neighbor to the north.
  • edited September 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    Welcome zenmonkey and Jefferson Airplane :wavey: Those are both great user names!

Like Gecko I only know a little bit about them, but I have heard good things. I have listened to Lama Ole Nyadahl's podcasts on iTunes, check it out if you can. If you're planning on becoming a member I assume you've been to one of the centers? If not I'd definitely recommend doing so before deciding to join.
    Thanks for the welcome guys :D
    Yeah i watch his videos on Youtube as well. I emailed the centre a couple of days ago they said its ok to drop by and see what they're up to, they told me they meditate together 3 times a week.
    Gecko wrote: »
    'Tibetan' path, and there a lot of awesome people here who follow that path. I've never tried Yak Butter tea, but I'd like to! :P
    Yak Butter tea sounds like something new! but i'd be up for trying it ;)
  • edited September 2010
    G'day all,
    Somewhat surprised to find myself here. Please allow me to explain.
    I've long held a fair bit of respect and admiration for many aspects of Buddhism, particularly the Zen variety, though I would not consider myself as a "card-carrying" Buddhist. In fact, my main interests are Hermetic Alchemy and astronomy. As such, I'm a member of a couple of alchemy and astronomy forums.
    Imagine my surprise then when I received a PM on an astronomy forum (which I seldom visit these days) from someone who called themselves "Eternity."
    Eternity had become a member of this astronomy forum some 3 months previously but had never made a post and did not enable the facility to allow me to reply. I'm guessing that he/she accessed my profile, saw my interest in alchemy and sent a message mentioning this site.
    Now, along with Samuel Johnson, I've always believed that "curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous mind" so I followed the link and here I am.
    (Curiously, I note that Eternity does not appear to be a member of this site.)
    So I'm here to learn, ask questions and maybe offer some view points that might not be in strict accordance with view points held by some of you.
    I should point out that many of my astronomy associates are not entirely comfortable with my interest in alchemy. Conversely, very few of my alchemy associates bat an eye at my interest in astronomy (except when I call into question some of their astrological theories :confused: )
    So, I'm being up-front and honest here. It's quite possible that we may disagree sometimes, but it is NOT my intention to cause trouble or change peoples mind sets.
    I guess that over time we'll all work out whether my presence here is appropriate.
    I'm kind of hoping that it is. :)