Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Paul, Jenn and Welcome Back Garrett :cheer: :p

All the best
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
    edited August 2010
    Welcome tsubomi! :wavey:
  • edited August 2010
    :p Hi everyone my name is Talia I am from London England. I have been a practising Buddhist for 6 months now. I have found the teachings an inspiration and meditation to be an amazing tool for every aspect of developing my mind.

I am looking forward to speaking with like minded people here. I am currently a member of a Buddhist meditation group and am meeting them next Sunday for brunch. It's a great way to keep close and be involved with the Sangha.

I also enjoy swimming, running, yoga, movies, my pet rabbits and seeing friends. I also like to travel- my bf and I are about to go on a 3 month trip to Bali to surf and then onto Thailand where I intend to make many temple pilgrimages and become closer still to meditation and the teachings.

I look forward to some stimulating exchanges!
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Talia, enjoy du forum!

Welcome wishes,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome everyone :)
  • edited August 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Welcome Talia, enjoy du forum!

Welcome wishes,
    Nickidoodle Jellybean

• edited August 2010
    Hello, I am trying to learn more about buddhism and any words of wisdom will be helpful.
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Shannon. Words of wisdom? Hmm... Well, I quite like this quote :)
    From a healed, peaceful heart, humility is born; from humility, a willingness to listen to others is born; from a willingness to listen to others, mutual understanding is born; and from mutual understanding, a peaceful society will be born. Nonviolence is the highest form of humility; it is supreme courage.
  • edited August 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    From a healed, peaceful heart, humility is born; from humility, a willingness to listen to others is born; from a willingness to listen to others, mutual understanding is born; and from mutual understanding, a peaceful society will be born. Nonviolence is the highest form of humility; it is supreme courage.

Good that quote is, yes, hrrmmmm - wise in the ways of the force, you are. :D

Hey to all the other newcomers - I don't feel so green now! Taco - your name makes me hungry :D
    edited August 2010
    It was by Daisaku Ikeda :)
  • edited August 2010
    Erm... Knew that, I did...

:D
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited August 2010
    I'd also like to say hello to all the newbies as a fellow newbie. I like your avatar Gecko. :)
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks! It's a photo I took of a plaster wall decoration I bought at a kitschy nouveau-moderne decor store a year or so ago. I adore it - it combines my favourite non-favourite colour with elements of fire, water and a semi-symbol of infinity. Plus, geckos are just fair-dinkum awesome!
  • edited August 2010
    Hi, just to introduce myself. I practice Nichiren Buddhism in the tradition of Nichiren Shoshu. I hope that I can make new Dharma friends here, learn something, and contribute to this forum in a positive way. May everybody on this forum be happy and free from suffering!
    Peace,
    Sun Lotus (^_^)
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Sun Lotus :wavey:
  • edited August 2010
    Hello!
    My name is...uhm, not really important.
    I discovered buddhism for me quite recently . I want to follow the path of buddha to free myself from dukkha. I have not discovered which drift I am going to follow. I'd like to meet my master, whoever it be.
    In real life, I grew up with the "bless" at first undiscovered by my parents of being some kind of gifted child. I have been able to recite poems at the age of 3 and I am very skilled with arts and many kinds of crafting and I tended to understand many things others visually didn't.
    I (my ego ;) ) have always been very busy thinking to much and feeling to less except greed and hate.
    I want to change this. Often I question and doubt all kind of things, including me and the teachings of the Buddha. My biggest blockade is probably the lack of trust in the teaching, myself and therefor others. My biggest "bless"...I am willing to change this :D And also, if I find myself with the right surroundings I can be very devoted and lovingly, bringing happiness and fun :)

Don't hesitate to write :D

I am a beginning tattoo artist.
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Uhm :wavey: I hope you enjoy your time here :D
  • edited August 2010
    I have already posted a couple times but figured I aught to introduce myself. I'm Robin. I am very new to Buddhism and am definately VERY green:D. I was reading a bit a few years ago but put it aside to finish my BSN. I started to go back to y previous practices (Pagan), but things did not feel the same, very empty. I was looking some books and found some books on Buddhism and started to reread them and something just kinda "clicked". I had read before but this time I understood. I have been reading and starting a meditation practice (currently just breath meditation about 15-20min a day). I am considering taking the Discovering Buddhism course at FPMT to give my study some structure and to have contact with a teacher.
    I have read quite a bit here and can tell this is a great group (I followed a bit on Esangha before, it could be very judgement there). Looking forward to talking more with you all!!!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Sounds like you're on the right track, Robin. FPMT are good folks. I recommend you take that course. Oh, and welcome all!

Palzang
  • edited August 2010
    Hi.

I'm a practising Buddhist also associated with the FPMT. I live in Coventry, UK, and I am looking forward to reading some of the discussions here.
  • edited August 2010
    Hi everyone. I've been practicing buddhism for 3 years now, but before that i studied some Buddhist philosophy at university. I mostly practice Zen. There is no Zen sangha near where I live so I practice alone for the most part, read lots of good books to keep me on track. So far so good. ;)
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome all new users. I'm in the same boat as nearly all of you. Newfound interest in Buddhism and a budding meditation practice. This forum has been a great resource for me and I'm sure it'll be a big help to you all too. Enjoy!
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Robin, Paulclem and Paradox :wavey:
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome all the new members!!
  • edited August 2010
    My name isn't uhm so I'd like to correct this. I am Gesa. Please use this name if you don't want to refer to Fraktal :D
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, I was only joking :D Welcome Fraktal :wavey:
  • edited August 2010
    Welcome to the newest new people!

Paradox - in relation to your avatar: Show me Nothing!

I have to say, Fraktal, that pink/purple in your avatar fractal is extremely pleasing to my brain. The red, too, is awesome.

Hang on, I have to stare some more....

Cool. Done. :D
  • edited August 2010
    Hi, My name is Kayla, i'm 23 years old and i'm new to the site, and also to Buddhism. I moved to ARizona from California and although I began studying Buddhist teachings several years ago, I've never made myself known to any groups, communities, nor have been to any temples. I have however, practiced the laws of Karma, and always believe you should never take action in harming yourself or others.

My life has been quite the roller coaster, and religion has never been a part of my family. My goal in practicing Buddhist teachings is find that balance ive always been searching for in my life, and learn to control my emotions. Stress...anger...fear...I feel as though i've finally found something to take those things away.

If anyone has any advise, books they don't mind loaning out, or even just stories to tell of what they've learned and overcome since devoting their lives to Buddhism, please share. :) I love stories, and I love happy endings!
  • edited August 2010
    G'day, LadyFire713!

Welcome to the path! :D The forums here have quite a lot of advice, books, stories and humour - it's a good thing I'm unemployed at the moment, or I'd miss out on it all! :D
  • edited August 2010
    Lol, well i have a desk job, so i'm lucky too. HAHA
  • edited August 2010
    :grin:
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Stress...anger...fear...I feel as though i've finally found something to take those things away.

Welcome to the forum Kayla! I hope you find a lot of helpful things here, just like most of us have.

You can do a lot through Buddhism to find a more calm mind and to control those emotions, but completely "taking them away" would be pretty difficult. What's more important than that tho, is to remain mindful of whatever comes to any particular moment, both outside of us and within. If you succeed in doing that, you'll go a long way into reaching a more peaceful life and mind.

Best of luck on your journey.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    You can do a lot through Buddhism to find a more calm mind and to control those emotions, but completely "taking them away" would be pretty difficult. What's more important than that tho, is to remain mindful of whatever comes to any particular moment, both outside of us and within.

I absolutely agree with lightwithin. It isn't about eliminating or supressing difficult emotions (which will most likely make them stronger), but to become aware of them and what's causing them in the present moment.

As meditation practice progresses it's not unusual to feel even more stress, anger, or fear. This is not an indication of failure, but rather a good sign of progress. By directly accepting our present moment during challenging times we can really learn how to deal with them.
  • edited August 2010
    My name is Justin from Maryland in the United States. I am 29 years old with a 3 year old daughter named Bella. I recently was released from prison from which Buddhism was my saving grace. I really am here to offer advice and perhaps share what im going through in my everday life. Thanks and im glad to be here. :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Welcome to all the new members!

:wavey:
  • edited August 2010
    i am currently struggling with an opiate addiction and am in the midst of quitting... my faith and visualization skills i hope will save me...
    edited August 2010
    Welcome LadyFire713, whenever we go on the computers at school I try to sneak on here :lol:

Welcome TheMiddlePath, I hope Buddhism helps you get off opiate and you get on the right tracks. Good luck and best wishes :thumbsup:
  • edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    This is not an indication of failure, but rather a good sign of progress. By directly accepting our present moment during challenging times we can really learn how to deal with them.

I think I see what you mean, meditation assists in realizes what you may not be able to see. Realization, depending on the person, can be either good, or bad, sometimes even both. I appreciate the welcomes, and of course, any advice I can get. :o
  • edited August 2010
    Hi, my names Antony, i am 18, catholic, but it just doesn't feel right, i have just begun to open my mind to the possibilities of a new religion. Any information on Buddhism would be much appreciated. Thanks :)
    edited August 2010
    Welcome Antony, have a look around the forum, it's got lots of information :)
  • edited August 2010
    Hello beautiful people, my name is Jake. I'm sort of young, 14 to be exact. I like the ideas Buddha was about, of how is he no different than anyone else, only he found the path first. I hope to grow over the years and know more about this wonderful way of life. :)
    edited August 2010
    hi
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks i will :D
    edited August 2010
    welcome Jake :wavey:
    and yeah, take a look around :)
  • edited August 2010
    Hello everyone,

I have been reading discussion here for some time now and am happy to have finally joined.

A little about me: I have been studying Buddhism for several months now. I was baptized and raised christian, but have been unaffiliated with religion for several years; however, I have always had strong thoughts/feelings/ideas in parallel with many of the main concepts of Buddhism, i.e. that the first step to ending suffering is through yourself and the concept of "no-self". I was quite shocked when I found similarities between my own ideas and Buddhism, needless to say there was an instant connection.

Some person stuff I guess - I am 21 years old, Biochemistry major (4th year), have a girlfriend of 5 years, and for a time went ~4 months without telling even the slightest white lie (during which time I was not asked to comment on any dresses my girlfriend wore :rolleyes: ).
  • edited August 2010
    Welcome Jake and SyntheticKinetic!
    went ~4 months without telling even the slightest white lie.
    Sure - mouth closed the whole time?! :p Well done!
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks! I think I like it here. :)
  • edited August 2010
    I like it here too, only been two nights, and i've already learned sooo much!
  • edited August 2010
    Gecko wrote: »
    Welcome Jake and SyntheticKinetic!

Sure - mouth closed the whole time?! :p Well done!

Not quite, but in several situations I was ... noticeably silent? :p. It's amazing how many little lies/half-truths you catch yourself saying in a given day.

Thanks for the welcome, it's a pleasure to (unofficially) meet you
    edited August 2010
    Hello everyone,

I have been reading discussion here for some time now and am happy to have finally joined.

A little about me: I have been studying Buddhism for several months now. I was baptized and raised christian, but have been unaffiliated with religion for several years; however, I have always had strong thoughts/feelings/ideas in parallel with many of the main concepts of Buddhism, i.e. that the first step to ending suffering is through yourself and the concept of "no-self". I was quite shocked when I found similarities between my own ideas and Buddhism, needless to say there was an instant connection.

Some person stuff I guess - I am 21 years old, Biochemistry major (4th year), have a girlfriend of 5 years, and for a time went ~4 months without telling even the slightest white lie (during which time I was not asked to comment on any dresses my girlfriend wore :rolleyes: ).
    :lol: Welcome SyntheticKinetic :wavey: