Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• pyramidsongpyramidsong Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Hello! I'm female, 32, from Melbourne, Australia. Studying to be a veterinarian, and I'm also an artist (painter).

I'm very, very new to Buddhism but whenever I've thought about it it's just kind of felt like home, y'know? So I would like to start practising. Need some help to start with, though. :)
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Yet another Melbournian, welcome.
  • pyramidsongpyramidsong Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Thank you. :)

It's funny, I think the reason I've never really stuck with it before (have been interested in Buddhism for a long time) is because I was kind of impatient with my meditation, like, "why aren't I calm? Why aren't I enlightened?" :lol:

I've since realised it's the practise, not the outcome, that's important. Looking back it seems silly that I thought of it the other way. I guess I'm more ready now. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Hello Everyone. I am a 27 year old female. I have been a practicing Buddhist for many years...but i still consider myself to be a "beginner" so to speak. The place that i live...well let's just say there is not a lot of diverse thinking people here and what i have learned i have sought out on my own. I have had very little interaction with other Buddhists. I'm glad for a place like this where i can speak with people and learn new things. Talk about ideas and make Buddhist friends! Something like this is very important to a person like myself.

I don't really know what to say about myself. Umm....I am an artist by profession and a dreamer by nature. I LOVE to read. And i am also a mother of one. I love talking to new people so feel free to message me whenever you like. I am a bit of an internet junkie so i will respond quickly. :)

~xbrokenfacex~
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome! I like your avatar. ^_^
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Welcome every body :wavey:
  • edited November 2010
    Greetings

I am 41Yrs old
    From California
    I was Inroduced to Budhaism in my teen did not start fallowing the steps
    till i was in my late 20's after a Life of Violence,alcohol and Drug use.
    I grew up in and out of foster homes till the age of 18 do to an abusive
    Father and Stepmother. I use to run away alot hit the Local Punk shows
    as a kid when I had Got out of the Group homes when i was 18 I had become a Skinhead no not the Nazi Type though my life was still Drugs and Violence
    it was not until my late 20's when i meet a Buddhist who introduced me

My Life is the Martial arts i have been Studding since the age of 8
    I am o the Chan Tradtion and i train now in Shaolin Gungfu Chan

and yes i still love Punk Rock
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome cyd13 :)
    edited November 2010
    Welcome :)
  • edited November 2010
    Evening all. :)

I've recently been perusing the forum and I thought I'd join up, add one more to the ranks.

The name's Mike, I'm a Mahayana practitioner and have been for about 4 years now. I started practicing at university and naturally thought I knew everything. Then I graduated, and so called 'real life' (jobs, relationships, everything) began to take its toll and suffering came knocking on the door. Eventually I realised that I had just been 'playing at Dharma' and needed to start taking things more seriously. Which thankfully, I have done. :)

My practice by and large comes from the Tibetan tradition, I visit the Thrangu House Dharma Centre in Oxford once a week, and it seems that a nice little Sangha is starting to build up there, with the long-term aim to build an actual monastery in the City. As my username suggests, I also bring aspects of Zen into my practice. For some reason it resonates with me. I sometimes have an overactive, intellectual mind, and Zen's tendency to shout 'Shut up, and stop thinking so much!' is a real help.

Other than that, I'm growing less and less certain about things by the day. And it's wonderful. :D

Nice to meet you all.

_/|\_
    edited November 2010
    I love dogs :D Welcome :wavey:
  • edited November 2010
    I like dogs too. Whether they have a Buddha nature or not. :D
    edited November 2010
    That dog in your pro picture looks as though it's achieved happiness
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    2766 posts! Wow! I better make one before we run out of room!

I love dogs, too. However, I love people who love dogs even more!

Welcome to all who visit and a hearty hug to all who sojourn here at least awhile!
    edited November 2010
    LOL, I've made more posts than you and I'd been here a fifth of the time! :D I must seem lonely, LOL :P
  • edited November 2010
    Hello All!
    My name is Rick and I am here for knowledge. I have started a journey of self-examination...and where else would one wind up besides a Buddhist Forum? :)

I have been busy reading previous posts trying to learn as much as possible...once I feel I am to a point to that I can formulate educated questions of my own I am sure I will be looking to some of you for some guidance and help.
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome, NoRegrets. ^_^
  • edited November 2010
    Hi I'm Spectral, a Buddhist from London. Nice to meet you all.
  • edited November 2010
    And I am a thirtysomething-year-old librarian from the dark Heart of Dixie. Hello, all.
    edited November 2010
    Knowledge? Education? Guidance? You've come to the wrong place I'm afraid, although we all need help... :p
    Welcome!
  • edited November 2010
    My name is Shriharsh shendre i'm of 15.I'm medium fair boy. Eye color is black.I'm studying in xth std. I want to be a engineer in information technology. But I can never be because of castism in this India. I need some scholarship and financial help here buddhist peoples are treated very badly. I'm posting it using a mobile
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Welcome to all the new folks here!
    edited November 2010
    Welcome shrimarsh, which part of India do you come from?
    edited November 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    LOL, I've made more posts than you and I'd been here a fifth of the time! :D I must seem lonely, LOL :P

Sorry, Love'N'Peace, for not welcoming you to this site. Nobody's counting the number of posts, I hope. You make so many cheerful, well-intentioned remarks and my posts are so dull that I end up deleting a fifth of them.

A hearty belated welcome to a very welcoming and endearing young man!
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Well, I suppose it would only be polite to introduce myself, considering I've already barged onto the boards and spouted my opinions.

I'm a more than middle aged married man living in the middle of nowhere. I've done some kicking around the world in my younger days, but settled down to the bliss of being bossed around by two perfect grandchildren, several dogs, and a wife.

As for Buddhism, I was first introduced as a young man to Zen Meditiation while living in Florida, by a UU minister who had lived in Japan. Then I ended up in Korea later, and discovered Kwan Um Zen and attended a temple there. Finally, I moved back home where I've been quitely trying to live a life of meditation, chanting while doing chores, and absorb the many lessons crammed into me by some very patient Zen Teachers. I'm probably the neighborhood weardo.

I've already seen some great minds at work on the boards here, and hope my own experiences can make a difference while I learn from the rest of you.
    edited November 2010
    Welcome Cinorjer!

Speaking of great minds at work, here are some fragments from one of your recent posts:
    Cinorjer wrote: »
    The Buddha's followers voted him enlightened, but the important thing is, he awakened...
    The world has many awakened people in it. Most of them, you'll never hear of, as they quietly go about acting out of compassion. But Enlightenment? You can find them, if you look. They like publicity. The followers of the typical Guru type figure call their leader enlightened, and if you've heard one speak or read their books, they're impressive. The difference is, none of these great Enlightened Guru people have managed to teach their followers anything but how to worship. Thus, when the Guru dies, the group dies with him...

A man once vowed he'd walk in one direction until he saw the edge of the world before he died. So he began walking East, and when he came to water he built a boat and continued East until he came to land again. He encounted many strange people and things. A long, long time and many hardships later, he looked around one day and recognized the land around him. He realized that his long journey had taken him to where he started. He had gone nowhere, in the end. But, he was a changed man for having gone nowhere. His eyes were open to the true nature of the world.

So begin your journey to Enlightenment, the Edge of the World that is out there somewhere. We'll meet back here eventually, awakened instead, with lots of Zen stories to tell each other.

Thanks so much for joining us in our discussions, Cinorjer! I, for one, will be seeking out your contributions to what we are thinking about here. A very enjoyable and pithy introduction of yourself, too. Do you write for a living?
    edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Welcome Cinorjer!

Speaking of great minds at work, here are some fragments from one of your recent posts:

Thanks so much for joining us in our discussions, Cinorjer! I, for one, will be seeking out your contributions to what we are thinking about here. A very enjoyable and pithy introduction of yourself, too. Do you write for a living?

I make a living training people in a technical field, but for a long time my passion has been writing both short stories and novels (science fiction and fantasy). While reviews of my published stuff are good, fame and fortune have yet to take notice. So, I continue to work on the craft of writing and enjoy knowing some people have fun reading my little tales.
    edited November 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Sorry, Love'N'Peace, for not welcoming you to this site. Nobody's counting the number of posts, I hope. You make so many cheerful, well-intentioned remarks and my posts are so dull that I end up deleting a fifth of them.

A hearty belated welcome to a very welcoming and endearing young man!

Oh you :rolleyes: Though many times while on this forum I've broken many times into smiles and grins and even laughter
    edited November 2010
    Well, I suppose it would only be polite to introduce myself, considering I've already barged onto the boards and spouted my opinions.

I'm a more than middle aged married man living in the middle of nowhere. I've done some kicking around the world in my younger days, but settled down to the bliss of being bossed around by two perfect grandchildren, several dogs, and a wife.

As for Buddhism, I was first introduced as a young man to Zen Meditiation while living in Florida, by a UU minister who had lived in Japan. Then I ended up in Korea later, and discovered Kwan Um Zen and attended a temple there. Finally, I moved back home where I've been quitely trying to live a life of meditation, chanting while doing chores, and absorb the many lessons crammed into me by some very patient Zen Teachers. I'm probably the neighborhood weardo.

I've already seen some great minds at work on the boards here, and hope my own experiences can make a difference while I learn from the rest of you.

Well I'm the neighbourhood weirdo here, weirdy :grumble: but as you are weird, I'm legally required to greet you.
    WELCOME!!!! :wavey:
    There, I did it.
    Happy now?
    :bawling:
    edited November 2010
    I make a living training people in a technical field, but for a long time my passion has been writing both short stories and novels (science fiction and fantasy). While reviews of my published stuff are good, fame and fortune have yet to take notice. So, I continue to work on the craft of writing and enjoy knowing some people have fun reading my little tales.

Yah know, I liked you from the beginning :p I myself am working on a novel, and I've posted questions of the matter of publishing. Perhaps you could help? :)
    edited November 2010
    Excellent hobby BTW
    edited November 2010
    Yah know, I liked you from the beginning :p I myself am working on a novel, and I've posted questions of the matter of publishing. Perhaps you could help? :)

Sure. Is there a place for misc ramblings here? Send me an email if you'd like and I'll be happy to discuss writing and publishing in an internet world. This being a public forum, I hesitate to post links to my author's blog or publisher's website in my profile since that has my real name and such. As I said, it's not like I'm famous or able to make a living at writing.
    edited November 2010
    Hope I replied correctly to the private message. It doesn't show anything in my sent folder. If not, let me know and I'll try again.
    edited November 2010
    I recieved it fine thanks :D
  • edited November 2010
    Hello, all. :) My name is Jenn, and I am an eighteen year old Zen Buddhist newbie, haha. There are no sanghas here in Erie, so I've been reliant on books, message boards like this, and my own insight to try and get somewhere with my training. Hopefully I can connect with people when I head off to college. >_<;

I spend my days attending high school (senior year- I'm almost out!), reading, drawing/painting, making travel plans, listening to music, and doing mindless crap like play online games. xD

I'm way into natural, simplified living. I'm also an anarchist. C: I guess that's what drew me to Buddhism in the first place... no one can get you anywhere but yourself! And even Gautama Buddha said that his way could be questioned. It's awesome. xD

I guess that's all I got for you fine folks. :P
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome Jenn! ^_^
    edited November 2010
    Welcome :wavey:
  • edited November 2010
    Hi my name is mark and I have been viewing some of the discussions here for the past month, so I thought I would register and add my perspectives.

I have been practicing and studying Buddhism for a little over ten years and some things are starting make sense.

I am a landscape horticulturist and feel blessed to be able to make my living working outdoors with nature's greatest resource, plants.
    edited November 2010
    what's a horticulturist?
  • edited November 2010
    Good evening! I am a student and mother to three fabulous kiddos. We are all four learning about Buddhism together. Some of us learn more one day than others- we are really having an amazing time. I was married for ten years, and it has taken over a year of down time since my divorce to really take physical, emotional, and psychological inventory and feel at peace with where I am in my life. Several times throughout my life I have sought answers to questions I have had about making peace with one's self, etc., and each time I was always directed towards Buddhism. Buddhism feels practical and wise to me. This site is wonderful, and I look forward to spending time here with you all.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Welcome all new folks. You'll like it here!
  • edited November 2010
    I am new.

Greetings. =)
    edited November 2010
    Welcome Dharmamama, I hope you and your children learn lots and lots and have a wonderful time on the forum :)
    Welcome The_Fruit_Punch_Wizard :wavey:
  • edited November 2010
    what's a horticulturist?
    Horticulture is the science of plants.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi. I joined a while ago and pretty much forgot all about this place until recently. I figured I should finally introduce myself. I'm 14 and i love sushi. I sorta got into Buddhism a year ago when I was having some issues with God. I was struggling to believe and couldn't find any reason to. Eventually I ended up finding a lot about Buddhism and decided that it really made sense and i really liked it. I'm here to find out where to start basically.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi, my name is Dave. I'm new to this community and to Buddhism in general. I've studied Buddhism from afar (formally in school and informally on my own), but never have really practiced Buddhist principles in any of my affairs.

I'm brought here by a compelling urge to find meaning in my life. I've been feeling this urge for weeks now and have finally been driven to action. Hopefully, the users of this forum can help me in my quest.

I look forward to meeting all of you! Thanks!
  • edited November 2010
    Hi,

I'm 27 and I live in the Tampa bay, Florida area. I was raised as secular, unaffiliated Jewish. I've been trying to get more into the liberal Reform Judaism but it's not easy to do this after not being part of the religion for so long. I also don't know Hebrew, but I'm trying to learn it on my own with books.
    I went to a Christian (Mormon) church yesterday, my first time trying out Christianity and ever going to a church, and for some reason I'm very angry and irritable today (I'm normally not like this).
    I have severe social anxiety and some depression and I have problems making or keeping friends, and because of this I have problems in life. I'm attracted towards learning about Buddhism because I read it can help one conquer their mind, and it can help ease suffering.
    I've only read a few books on Buddhism, so I'm not a practicing Buddhist, but I plan on attending a meditation class and I'm going to try to learn more about Buddhism. But it's hard to know where to start, since I realized there's thousands of different schools of Buddhism out there, and some of them, especially the ones in the West, may not be real Buddhism or may be cult-like.
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome, new people!

Shana, I have social anxiety as well..so far Buddhism has been quite helpful to me in managing it. ^_^
  • edited November 2010
    Name: Craig
    Sign: Cancer
    Hair: Brown,curly
    Eyes: Blue
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: not a clue
    Born: South England
    Currently: South England haha!
    Favorite color: Blue
    Favorite band: Two Door Cinema Club
    Favorite food: Chicken chow mein!
    Favorite movie: Any Stanley Kurbrick! memento,the machinist.
    Favorite book: The book of 5 rings (Muashi Minamoto) Excuse the spelling

Erm not really sure what to say really, i'm just a teenager thats very into buddhism :) ive always been intrested in everything eastern, i did kung fu for a year but it got very tiring and i eventually gave up :( but anyway yeah, i love where i live because its near the country side ( I live near one of the biggest national parks in uk) but it is also by the sea and only a hour to a city by train. my life seems to be full of anger and hate at the moment so i thought i could learn alot from something like this :) if your thinking that i should be in school while i am posting this i am at home due to illness.
  • edited November 2010
    Hello all, my name's Davy, from USA. What a great and wonderful site. i am like a sponge here and thanks to all for their participation.

i visited and traveled in Thailand, the land of smiles, for about 2 months. If you want to see Buddhism in action and lived every day, go there. It and the people are amazing. They live it every day and moment. Several times, i was lost, walking down a street, sometimes in Bangkok, and a stranger would stop and ask me if i could use help. i walked down into a cave where a monk lived, and saw his very humble living quarters. The whole trip really moved me. All people of the USA could really learn from the Buddhists in Thailand. They're such a happy and non judgemental people.