Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Bierram wrote: »
    Hi, my name is Bram, I'm from Gouda, the Netherlands, which could be familiar with some of you because of our famous Gouda Cheese. I am 21 years old and started getting interested in Buddhism at age 13 when I read the Art of Happiness, I kept interested for a long time untill about a year ago.
    At that time I had the great honour to teach english at a buddhist monastery in Nepal, through talks with the monks (the ones that spoke good english that is) and reading books I had to come to the conclusion that I no longer felt like 'one who is inspired by Buddhism' but as a Buddhist. Mainly through a big book one of the monks gave me to read called The Buddha and His Teachings. It contains the story of the Buddha's life and the general content of his teaching, the basics so to speak. After reading this I was convinced that the Buddhist Path was a path that I needed to follow. Before I left I got (and took) the opportunity to take a vow of refuge at the monastery, something that fullfills me with joy when I look back at it.

I am here to talk about Buddhism in general and to exchange ideas with all of you.

Welcome! :wavey: I read the Art of Happiness at 12 :D
    edited December 2010
    Artemis wrote: »
    Welcome Bram!

<i>I'm from Gouda, the Netherlands, which could be familiar with some of you because of our famous Gouda Cheese.</i>

Oh yes. I'm from Wisconsin--where cheese is quite popular--so I've definitely heard of Gouda. And I'm personally very fond of the Netherlands in general and its social progressivism in particular. ^_^

<i> I am 21 years old and started getting interested in Buddhism at age 13 when I read the Art of Happiness</i>

I like this book very much, but only read it for the first time a few months ago...I think it could have greatly helped me if I'd read it as a teenager, so I believe you're fortunate to have come across it at such a young age. ^_^

I too love the Netherlands and its culture. It's on my definite list of countries to visit and list of possible future home countries :D
  • edited December 2010
    Hello my name is Mark surname close to member name I just make it more interesting than a wicked English name mostly because my dad's family abandoned him. Prefer my mom families name cuss a president and war hero is a cousin with same but americanized name as mom dad is Nova Scotian moms mom neopolitan Italian. Its different I like different I spent most of my life in Boston except for one year in the low country aka metro Charleston SC area. (Way too unhealthy foods I must say. Good tasting but fried turkey for thanksgiving? That's a heart attack) was born in 72 immediately sent to nahm with a bottle and a m16 ha little joke.
    Conceptualy have done nothing but be evasive with societies expectations. Gave myself anxiety depression in the process real bad at times, but see a very nice blond therapist she helps take some anti anxiety meds but there is no cure for what basicly society created so buddhism became a therapy as well as a religion for me becaue they have so much more to offer the mind and spirit and they disbelieve clinging to a god! That was 2003. I read a book by surya dyas I thgink his name is he's got a restaurant bookstore and school on mass asve between harvard sq and central square never been in it except the restaurant and it seemed very nice a Buddhist nun was hostess. I asked her something about where something was anyway I have difficulty staying on one subject I'm for basic social services like free med food and housing but stop at state ownership just oversight and one agency for oversight of all the over sighting as I know greed is natural to us its how we partial survived but now its time to drop it and Buddhism is I think the way to do it. - eat meat mostly cuss murder of plants isn't an improvement and that's it for now I keep getting interrupted by a woman who normally would be my wife by now but she only dates assholes.
  • edited December 2010
    Hi all and with metta, I am a beginner in Buddhism on Universal Pureland is Zen and Universal Zen is Pureland. It is my pleasure being in this forum to discuss, share and learn the ultimate fearlessness. May I seek your tolerance, patients and blessings if there is any misunderstanding on the path of suchness during the discussion because of my shallow comprehension in Buddhism.

What is the Sea-Imprint Samadhi?
    Excerpted from the Zen Venerable master Hsuan Hua’s explanation of the flower adornment sutra.

When the Buddha spoke the Flower Adornment Sutra, he entered the
    Sea-Imprint Concentration. He spoke through the Sea Imprint Samadhi,
    which emits light.
    The “sea” refers to all the seas of perfumed water. “Imprint” refers
    to the imprint made by a seal. The sea’s ability to reflect all the mountains,
    rivers and the great earth is referred to as “sea imprint.” Surrounding
    Mount Sumeru are the seas of perfumed water, within which all the images
    of this world are imprinted.
    An instance of this is the planet Earth. As the Earth rotates, the
    images of the moon and stars appear. These are functions of the “lightemitting
    sea-imprint.” Buddhas have this kind of samadhi which is called
    “sea-imprint samadhi.”
    What is the “sea-imprint samadhi”? The seas of perfumed water
    are limpid and waveless—without a single ripple. However, the physical
    bodies of all living beings in the worlds of the ten directions appear
    within the seas of perfumed water in just the same way as a seal makes
    an imprint on a material. Sea-imprint refers to the seas of perfumed
    water manifesting all the phenomena of the world within them, hence
    the “imprint.”
    All living beings in the worlds of the ten directions—their forms
    and characteristics—are reflected in the seas of perfumed water, much
    like as an imprint is made by pressing a seal on a piece of paper. Each
    of all the living beings of the ten directions has an imprint appearing in
    the seas of perfumed water, thus the term “sea-imprint.” The Buddha
    entered this kind of samadhi and spoke Dharma using the “sea-imprint
    samadhi.”
    He spoke the Dharma in samadhi, and within samadhi, all living beings
    clearly appear. Why do all beings appear in the Tathagata’s treasury
    of light? Why does the Tathagata’s light makes an imprint in the minds
    of all beings? All these are the functions of the magical powers of the
    sea-imprint.
    Why are living beings and Buddhas not different? Because they are
    the same. The Buddha has returned to the source and regained the nature
    of the Tathagata’s treasury. Living beings have not lost the potential nature of the Tathagata’s treasury.
    For example, winds stir up waves in the sea, but waves and the seawater
    are both characterized by wetness. This nature of wetness is an analogy for
    the nature of Tathagata’s treasury. There may be waves, but the waves are in
    the water and have not lost their nature of wetness.
    Therefore, living beings’ nature of Tathagata’s treasury is the same as the
    Buddha’s nature of Tathagata’s treasury. Since we do not understand and fail
    to return to the source, even we are replete with the nature of Tathagata’s
    treasurey, we remain unaware of it.
    As we now listen to [the lectures of] the Flower Adornment Sutra
    and have come to learn that every one of us is replete with the nature of
    Tathagata’s treasury, we need to uncover our nature of the Tathagata’s treasury.
    How are we going to do that? By cultivating, by making efforts. If you
    apply efforts, cultivate and become enlightened, you will attain the nature of
    Tathagata’s treasure and understand your inherent Buddha nature.
    It is said,
    The Buddha speaks the Dharma with a single sound;
    Each being understands it according to its kind.
    Celestial beings hear it as the language of celestial beings. Bodhisattvas hear
    it as the language of Bodhisattvas. Arhats hear it as the language of Arhats.
    Humans hear it as the language of humans. Animals hear it as the language
    of animals. Hungry ghosts hear it as the language of hungry ghosts. Hell
    beings hear it as the language of hell beings. Thus, the Buddha employs
    one kind of sound to speak the Dharma, and all living beings of whatever
    category, upon hearing it, instantly understand, as if the Dharma had come
    right into their minds, as if it had fallen right into their hearts. It is said of
    each category of living beings,
    Each has their own attainment;
    Each has their own understanding.
    As their understandings differ, accordingly the states they attain are also different.
    The Dharma Realm is very big, so big that nothing is beyond it. The
    Dharma Realm is at the same time very small, so small that nothing is within
    it. All of the Dharma Realm is just all beings; all beings are just all of the
    Dharma Realm. The minds of every category of beings are illuminated by
    the Buddha’s light, causing beings to understand all of the various dharmas
    so they can cultivate accordingly. By cultivating according to the Dharma,
    they will reach the other shore.
    That is why in each of the Buddhalands, there invariably appear the
    seven places and nine assemblies [where the Flower Adornment Sutra was
    expounded]. That is, in those other worlds, there also appears the state of
    seven places and nine assemblies—the inconceivable state that expounds
    the great Dharmas of Flower Adornment, simultaneously proclaiming the
    principles of the Sutra.

With Metta
    edited December 2010
    Welcome you two :wavey:
  • edited December 2010
    Hello, my name is Sam. I'm currently a senior in college and my location is irrelevant because it changes (I'm a navy brat) and will change again soon. After being raised somewhat as a Christian I decided to find a personal philosophy and point of faith when I was fifteen. I don't have anything against Christianity, but I wanted to find something that spoke to me in a way that Christianity could not. My journey began with an assessment of my values. I suppose you could say that some of those values could have been influenced by Christianity, but religion was never particularly important while growing up.

Anyway, I eventually found Buddhism at sixteen and have tried to adhere by the basics ever since. As a student, I haven't been able to do much reading on the subject, but over the next few months I would love to take in as much as possible. Hopefully I can learn from others on this forum. Unfortunately, there are no Buddhists where I live, so I find it difficult trying to talk to others about how the basic principles apply to life. I'm excited to be here.
    edited December 2010
    Welcome Sam, have a wonderful time :wavey:
  • edited December 2010
    I'm Tammy. Skullchin is my friend. hello to everyone!
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Hi Tammy! Good to see you and welcome to NewBuddhist!!
    edited December 2010
    Welcome Tammy :wavey:
  • edited December 2010
    hello everybody! i just found the site and joined, as it seemed appropriate. i've been practicing buddhism for a little less than a year now, and already many changes have occurred, obivously. i think it is like that for everyone, no?

just wanted to say hello!

i look forward to having many discussions with the e-sangha here!

muchmetta<3
    edited December 2010
    Welcome Ryley :wavey:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Welcome coolbird! How deeply in meditation do you mean? I've known some people that focus so intently on deep states of meditation that they forget to live, and become more or less indifferent to the world rather than wise and compassionate. I hope you don't mean that deep. :)

What kind of meditation do you prefer, and how has it helped you? Vipassana is the technique that I've employed mostly, though I also see the value in other meditation techniques if done properly.
  • edited December 2010
    tread carefully coolbird

not everyone on this site has beneficial information
    use your heart to feel your way through

good luck

xm
  • edited December 2010
    markwayne wrote: »
    tread carefully coolbird

<embed src="http://media.entertonement.com/embed/OpenEntPlayer.swf&quot; id="1_580a883c_0164_11e0_a6d7_0019b9e56dac" name="1_580a883c_0164_11e0_a6d7_0019b9e56dac" flashvars="auto_play=false&clip_pid=ygmhswwswk&e=&id=1_580a883c_0164_11e0_a6d7_0019b9e56dac&skin_pid=wfxswdnlkf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer&quot; allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="300" height="30">
  • edited December 2010
    Hello,

My name is Phillip and I'm from Colorado. I first read a collection of teachings about a year and a half ago and pieced bits of it together to form my present worldview. I don't think of myself as a Buddhist, but I thoroughly enjoy the landscape of thinking I've found in Buddhism. As such, I stumbled onto this forum and here we are. I'm probably going to take to lurking around here every now and then, so I look forward to any discussions we all may have :D.
    edited December 2010
    Welcome Phillip :wavey:
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Welcome Phillip, Ryley, and Tammy!!!

JellyBean, Keep up the good work :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2010
    tread carefully coolbird

good luck

xm
    That's quite a presumptuous remark given that you've only been here 5 minutes.
    Frankly, from my experience, I would include this advice as part of the advice coolbird should be wary of.....!:eek:

Tread carefully markwayne.

That's all. ;)
    edited December 2010
    People these days
  • edited December 2010
    oops

sorry

i didn't mean to offend
  • edited December 2010
    Abit of a late introduction here.

O hai everyone!!!

Name is Bruce. Currently joined the Fo Guang Shan temple to practice Ch'an and Pureland Buddhism. Been at it for about 4 month now. From a few situations in my life, I switched from being your typical young athiest to someone who started to see the point in religion and development in spirituality. Chinese Buddhism clicked with me straight away due it being so ingrained in my culture. It's good to discover through Buddhism that I am not the good person that I think I am and it's never too late to repent and start anew!

Amitufo
    edited December 2010
    oops

sorry

i didn't mean to offend

Sure you didn't :rolleyes: :p
    edited December 2010
    Ch'an_noob wrote: »
    Abit of a late introduction here.

O hai everyone!!!

Name is Bruce. Currently joined the Fo Guang Shan temple to practice Ch'an and Pureland Buddhism. Been at it for about 4 month now. From a few situations in my life, I switched from being your typical young athiest to someone who started to see the point in religion and development in spirituality. Chinese Buddhism clicked with me straight away due it being so ingrained in my culture. It's good to discover through Buddhism that I am not the good person that I think I am and it's never too late to repent and start anew!

Amitufo

Uh-huh, It's too late now
  • edited December 2010
    Hiya,

I'm Tom,and a fledging Buddhist :) I'm here to get some good advice and hopefully some peace of mind.

Fingers crossed!

Tom x
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Welcome Tom. :) The forum will try and help you as best it can, I'm sure (look at me personifying a forum, like it's a person who thinks they're a person!).
    edited December 2010
    Hi Tom :D
  • edited December 2010
    Namaste.

My name is Darren, I am 36 and 3/4. I live in Northampton, England. I don't exactly earn a 'right livelihood' at the moment. I am in advertising. No-one's perfect, but I guess you lot know that better than most ;)

I have recently come to Buddhism through a fairly circuitous, though probably typical route. I was pretty un-happy. Drank too much. Ate badly. Lived pretty badly. Craven desire for things. Led a pretty unhappy co-dependent relationship. Relationship with kids not that great. Relationships with family and friends not so great. My work wasn't so great. You name it. I knew there was something very wrong with my life. I didn't know what. I guess I've always been searching for something.

Recently, this year, events transpired to push me to 'wake up'. Not in a Buddhist sense. Just a lot of my unskillful living caught up with me in lots of ways. I knew I had just two chances. Carry on and lose everything. Or wake up and change. I took the latter option.

I tried a few things out. Tried treating myself for alcoholism. Depression. Medication. Running. Eating fruit (yuk!). I knew there was some kind of 'spiritual' hole in me. But let me tell you something about myself that will never change - I am a staunch, atheist. Militant even, and that will never change. My metaphysical views of the world will never shift so significantly to change that fundamental view.

Eventually, two coincidental events led me to Mindfulness. One was that a friend made a promotional film for it for a mental health charity, which I watched and helped edit. I thought what I was hearing was very interesting. Then a friend who is a speech therapist told me about it at dinner one night. She said it was helping her deal with some very difficult issues in her life, and that she was learning to use it in her work. She recommended some books. I promptly downloaded a book or two on my iPad (see I told you I was contemptuous! ;)), one was about mindfulness and the twelve steps. Seemed relevant given my issues with alcohol and addictive behaviour. In this book it waxed lyrical about the buddhist origins of Mindfulness. To be honest, that book is basically a Buddhist text! But the content I was reading was immediately helpful. Clouds long hanging in my personality and mind quickly lifted. It was almost miraculous. There were numerous breathing techniques in there I employed as well as some sort of guided meditations I guess.

From here i've gone on to read 4 or 5 other Buddhist texts. Mostly 'western'ised versions of Buddhism, which is going to be the kind of Buddhism I will practice I imagine.

I found this site, and it's tone and content, as well as the posts found in this very forum seemed to resonate to me as to the kind of people and Buddhism that makes some sense to me. A kind of modern Buddhism I suppose.

I am keen to carry on developing my awakened self. To be frank and honest, I really don't know where to go next on my journey, as evidenced on my 'Namaste' thread. I have had a few pointers there. If anyone else feels like helping me on my way that would also be lovely.

And so my introduction ends.

It is a pleasure to find you all. I hope to get to know you all.

Namaste and with Metta.

Darren
    edited December 2010
    Welcome Darren
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Props to Love and Peace for his tireless greetings and sharings.. For my part I resonate with your struggle with alcoholism. Long time ago I drank because parties were insecure. Now it is 'crazy personal pan pizza'. It usually only burns me. Scratch that I reach the nectar of judas. But it fans my fires on occasion. The rebound is difficult because I get so high from lack of a depressant. In the short run either way I am screwed. But like Metroid I hope I can beat the bad guys once I learn the flow. Brick by brick and a whole lot of shaking probably.

Anyhow buddhism is equally a refuge for me. Don't think a drinker cannot benefit from buddhism. Good in the beginning and middle and end.

Namaste etc.

Jeffrey
  • edited December 2010
    Namaste Jeff. Seems some of us are born with some innate issues that we are bound to try to medicate ourselves with.
    edited December 2010
    Keep strong my peeps
  • edited December 2010
    Hi everyone,

Quick background: I’m getting a masters in education to teach.

Motivation: I think it’s safe to say everyone on this site is here for better themselves will in turn better the world. I am looking for practical tips on meditation and mindfulness. I find myself distracted way too much of the time whether I’m on the couch watching the tv, have talk radio on in the background while I’m at my house or I’m listening to Top 40 billboard hits while I’m driving around in my car. I feel like I check out too often when I’d rather be PRESENT. I’d like to calm down and I think this could be a cool place to meet like-minded people and form a productive and effective support network.

I need to get mindful pronto! Here's to a new quality of life!

-Kate
  • edited December 2010
    Hey folks,

My name's Tim. I'm 24 years old, currently unemployed (on hiatus from Law School...not sure it's for me) and I'm a Christian.

I stumbled on this forum through a debate y'all were having about 3 years back--I was doing some research on self-defense views and I found the views expressed by many people interesting (though I disagreed with them). When I saw that you welcomed Christians into your forum, I decided to join. I am somewhat familiar with Buddhism, but not very much, to be honest. All I know is that the Buddhists I have met have always been wonderful people, and, while I find myself disagreeing with the religion in many aspects, most have been respectful enough of my own views to disagree without being enraged about it.

In this day and age, and especially on the internet, that kind of attitude is refreshing. I doubt I'll change my views unless I can be convinced that Buddhism is factually correct (yes, as far as Christianity is concerned, I am very much a doubting Thomas, lol) but it will be nice to mingle here and get to learn more about it from people who are serious about their faith. Why not?

I have a deep interest in philosophy and politics as well. Politically, I'm somewhere between classic American conservatism (not neoconservatism) and libertarianism, and philosophically, somewhere between virtue ethics and deontology in general. Yeah, I'm still exploring and learning in that regard, and I wonder whether I'll ever be able to definitively label myself.

On a less serious note, my interests in terms of entertainment are diverse. I like music, and lots of it. Right now I've been on a progressive rock and power metal binge, but my preferred genres are usually classic rock, prog rock/metal, heavy/power metal, jazz (though I don't know much about it), and classical. I dabbled in punk in my teenage years so there's still some fondness for that. My favorite band is the 90's prog band Spock's Beard. I'm a movie buff, and I tend to be partial to movies that at least have a semblance of a story. I'll watch anything from silent dramas to modern action films so long as they're good. I also watch some anime. I like literature as well, my favorite book being The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky. Also, I play video games frequently. While I grew up on Sega, I'm incredibly partial to Nintendo right now. In fact, almost all of the internet forums I've joined in my life have been video game (and Nintendo) related--guess I'm just used to the atmosphere.

That's literally everything there is to know about me. Some of it's important, some of it isn't, and if any of you actually managed to read all this, thanks. I'm not usually this self-indulgent. XP See y'all around.
    edited December 2010
    Welcome all :wavey:
  • edited December 2010
    Tim - have you read "The Grand Design" by Hawking? or "Thank God for Evolution" by Michael Dowd? the two in combination are pretty close to where I am at ... Christian background, still believe in God, but my definitions of those words are so different from before that I don't really know if I dare call myself Christian any more. And it doesn't matter to me either way, really ...
  • edited December 2010
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and new to calling myself Buddhist. I have read the Tao Te Ching many times which got me interested in eastern philosophy and through a lot of pain in my life. I never really read up on Buddhism but, I did meditate and have friends who are.

After reading up on Buddha's teachings I was amazed to read a few very specific ideas expressed that were major self-realizations I had in the weeks before. This confirmed my own conclusions about many things because, I had never discussed these things with anyone. I was instantly drawn to the teachings and now I spend a lot of time reading them, meditating, and searching for new insights. I have found a lot of useful information lurking here and have had a lot of questions answered so, thanks for that!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Welcome Wuji! :) If you have any questions, this is a good place to ask; if we don't know, we can point you to other places.
  • KartariKartari Explorer
    edited December 2010
    Hi everyone. I've considered myself a Buddhist for 15 years, though I have never become formally affiliated with a temple or monastery. I've read a dozen or so books over the years, including some classics like the Dhammapada a few times over, and am especially fond of Lama Surya Das, Thich Nhat Hanh, and Pema Chodron.

I have enjoyed discussing various aspects of Buddhism online in the past, and thought I'd sign up for a dedicated Buddhism forum once more. This site appears to be both well trafficked and well maintained, so I'm looking forward to some discussions here. :)

Peace.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Welcome to NB, Kartari! :) I guess you're not so much of a "new" Buddhist, but that's great since it means you have 15 years of experience to help share with those who are, to help them along on their path!
    edited December 2010
    Soz 4 not commenting innit nu dudes but i aint bovved at te mins Xl
  • KartariKartari Explorer
    edited December 2010
    Thanks Cloud. Yes, not so new, though I hope to learn as well as teach.

Peace.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Welcome Bruce, Tom, Darren, Kate, Tim, Wuji, Kartari....

Wuji... I like you started my journey with eastern philosophy with Taoism... Although I consider myself a Buddhist now I still study the Dharma found in Taoism... For as much as many people say they are nothing alike I see many, many similarities between the teachings... If your interested at all in discussing Taoism I would welcome your insights... I have a small discussion board of my own (currently only me and one other person... always looking for others... That means anyone else who might be interested ;)
    Just drop in at www.mysangha.proboards.com and either register yourself or enter with the username Guest and password 123456 , if you are interested... Currently we have discussions on Taoism (Chapter by chapter of the Tao te Ching, Taoist daily meditations and eventually we will be discussing the Zhuangzi in depth) Buddhism (37 Practices of a Boddhisattva, The Dhammapada and many threads inbetween), Zen (Discussion of Koans), and Trans-Denominational (Any topic that might be outside of current path discussions that might come up)...

Anyways, welcome all new members :)
  • edited December 2010
    Hello all.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts in this forum. I will do the same sometimes.
  • Welcome to the forum Nobody; it's brand-spanking new for us (it just migrated to Vanilla). I voted for chocolate but noooo. Anyway, glad to have you aboard! :)
  • Chocolate will lead to cravings, @Cloud... probably not a good idea for a Buddhist site. ;)
  • Yeah well some people crave vanilla. They're mad, but they still do. (lol)
  • Hi and welcome to all newcomers.

It's lovely to meet you all and l hope you find it as friendly and helpful here as I have.
  • Namaste & Buddha Bless You!
    Hello from the High Desert, California. I practice Yoga, both hatha and spiritual practice, and also spend time studying Buddhism and occasionally meditating. I just got done with a Eastern Philosophy class before I finish up my degree and found my interest was really enlivened.
    Thanks for having me ^_^
  • Namaste & Welcome Indra Deva. :)