Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Horticulture is the science of plants.

Nice, I should've figured that out, lol. What's your favourite plant? Do you study like garden plants or exotic plants?
    edited November 2010
    welcome all you new-comers! :wavey:
  • edited November 2010
    Hi, I haven't introduced myself yet.

I have been meditating for over 12 years, but recently only gotten serious in understanding the teachings of the Buddha. (:

I am aspiring to become a surgeon, and will most likely study Medicine to treat the sick, to support people through their suffering, and to recognize the impermanence of life and death.

I eventually aspire to spread Buddhist teachings and give myself to charitable philanthropist movements (Heheh, big dreams).

I am from South East Asia!

Thank you! (:
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome, compassion (great username)! Such admirable goals...I wish you much luck and success. ^_^
    edited November 2010
    Howdy Compassion :wavey: How is the weather in South East Asia at the moment? It's cold here in Inglund.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi all, new here too.

I live in Boulder, Colorado, and will be graduating from CU soon with a degree in environmental engineering. My genuine belief is that as a human born into such a society where I have nearly ever amenity provided for me, where my opportunities for education are vast, where comfort is so easy to come by...that I have a simple responsibility to give back to the community from which I have received so much.

My philosophy for life is simple, be good to yourself and others, and enjoy yourself. Nothing else is truly needed.

But yet, i find myself here so I can discuss ideas and thoughts with other people. Because everyone has their own understanding, their own approach, and I'm deeply interested in learning how other people go about their lives, interested in what other people have learned, and from what experiences they have derived their current perceptions.

If it was as easy as clapping your hands to eliminate one's stress & suffering, then we would all be in Nirvana...but we (most of us) aren't, each of us has our own unique (but frequently shared) predicaments that present us with mental and spiritual hurdles. We all perceive the problem slightly differently, shaded with hues of experience.

Well, don't want to be anymore long winded than that. So...I'm looking forward to reading all your thoughts, and hopefully I get to slip in a few of my own!
  • edited November 2010
    Artemis wrote: »
    Welcome, compassion (great username)! Such admirable goals...I wish you much luck and success. ^_^

Thank you much for the welcome! (:

LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Howdy Compassion :wavey: How is the weather in South East Asia at the moment? It's cold here in Inglund.

Hello! Well currently as I type it's raining crazily with bright sunlight.
    We don't experience 4 seasons here, just tropical sunshine and rain (:
    edited November 2010
    Hi all, new here too.

I live in Boulder, Colorado, and will be graduating from CU soon with a degree in environmental engineering. My genuine belief is that as a human born into such a society where I have nearly ever amenity provided for me, where my opportunities for education are vast, where comfort is so easy to come by...that I have a simple responsibility to give back to the community from which I have received so much.

My philosophy for life is simple, be good to yourself and others, and enjoy yourself. Nothing else is truly needed.

But yet, i find myself here so I can discuss ideas and thoughts with other people. Because everyone has their own understanding, their own approach, and I'm deeply interested in learning how other people go about their lives, interested in what other people have learned, and from what experiences they have derived their current perceptions.

If it was as easy as clapping your hands to eliminate one's stress & suffering, then we would all be in Nirvana...but we (most of us) aren't, each of us has our own unique (but frequently shared) predicaments that present us with mental and spiritual hurdles. We all perceive the problem slightly differently, shaded with hues of experience.

Well, don't want to be anymore long winded than that. So...I'm looking forward to reading all your thoughts, and hopefully I get to slip in a few of my own!

You are so amazing! :lol: I agree with all you've said, and welcome :wavey: though I don't like the thought of being in Nirvana :crazy: (a member lol)
    edited November 2010
    compassion wrote: »
    Thank you much for the welcome! (:

Hello! Well currently as I type it's raining crazily with bright sunlight.
    We don't experience 4 seasons here, just tropical sunshine and rain (:

That's like my village, but with sunshine :p Where I live the clouds are so thick you don't see a single speck of sky for weeks at a time lol.
    I imagine (I'm very interested in world geography but I'm better at European countries and climates) that there's a lot vegetation? Unless you live in a built-up area. Have you always lived in Asia?
    Edit- You say from, so I imagine yes :)
  • edited November 2010
    That's like my village, but with sunshine :p Where I live the clouds are so thick you don't see a single speck of sky for weeks at a time lol.
    I imagine (I'm very interested in world geography but I'm better at European countries and climates) that there's a lot vegetation? Unless you live in a built-up area. Have you always lived in Asia?
    Edit- You say from, so I imagine yes :)

haha well i live in Singapore, it's an extremely small country that is saturated with urban life. But we do have a lot of trees here (:

Yes, always here. Haha
    Frankly I'd love to experience the 4 seasons, though i do know how cold winter can get and how hot summer can be :lol:
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Hi compassion ... I found Singapore an enchanting place - l remember it as a lovely island and a peaceful republic of multi cultural people when I was fortunate to visit several years ago ... the beautiful clean city and gardens, the trains and the Merlion stand out for me.
  • edited November 2010
    andyrobyn wrote: »
    Hi compassion ... I found Singapore an enchanting place - l remember it as a lovely island and a peaceful republic of multi cultural people when I was fortunate to visit several years ago ... the beautiful clean city and gardens, the trains and the Merlion stand out for me.

Haha, I'm sure it is, but it's too urbanised hehe
    I live in the suburban areas, i guess it's peaceful still.

I love australia, haha, been to perth 4 times already
    edited November 2010
    Australia has been a great place to live - Perth is very urban and suburban too = Adelaide where I live is similar although our River Torrens is really a lake compared to the Swan River in Perth.
  • edited November 2010
    Haha, i just Googled River Torrens
    1942564-river_torrens-Adelaide.jpg

I think it's amazing! I love nature.

Contrast it to this:

singapore_river2.jpg
    Haha, super urbanised.
    edited November 2010
    Wow, the Torrens looks good in that picture, compassion :ausflag: ...
    much of the time it is more like this http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/algae-bloom-closes-torrens/story-e6freol3-1111118819828 due to blue green algae, pollution and drought conditions ... I had dinner at the Bistro in the Festival Theatre ( the 1970's architecture white building in your picture ) recently prior to going to the opera and it did look more your picture due to recent rain :):)
  • edited November 2010
    Haha! I'd never dream of it being filled with algae when i look at a beautiful picture like that :lol:

Gee, do the swans/ducks (I can't tell :o) actually swim in all that gunk? wow
  • edited November 2010
    Hello I'm another newbie.
    I'm not good at introductions but will give it a go.
    My name is Sophie, I live in a little corner of the UK called Grimsby.
    I joined this forum because although I've been interested in Buddhism for a long time it's only recently that I really discovered forums of any sort! I just happened to search for 'buddhism and foum' and up you came! :cool:

So I feel its about time to get involved with Buddhism just a little bit more. I've read 'The Buddha Within' and 'The Buddha, Geoff & Me'. Both were great books, to name but a few.

I struggle with understanding (any) religion and faith sometimes, although I never give up trying. But do find it easier to be spiritual so hopefully I'm in the right place to chat and make new friends.

Take care and hope to chat with some of you soon.
  • edited November 2010
    Hi there. My name is Mike. In short, I'm a freelance writer, and recently a friend of mine and myself have been discussing an idea for a story influenced by Buddhist lore. I studied Buddhism years ago in school, but my memory is foggy, and trying to look up concepts I only half remember is really frustrating. I thought it would be a lot more efficient to sign up here and just ask questions when I can't quite put my finger on what to Google for.
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome to the forum, Sophie and Mike.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Sup, new members. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Hey all meditators, I am new to this site and wish to get to know everyone who is deeply involved in meditation. peace. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome to the Forum. I am new here too, only been on for about a week. Jump right in, The water is great !
  • edited November 2010
    Peace to you also :) I am fairly new to Buddhism and meditation and this place is great.
    edited November 2010
    Hello I'm another newbie.
    I'm not good at introductions but will give it a go.
    My name is Sophie, I live in a little corner of the UK called Grimsby.
    I joined this forum because although I've been interested in Buddhism for a long time it's only recently that I really discovered forums of any sort! I just happened to search for 'buddhism and foum' and up you came! :cool:

So I feel its about time to get involved with Buddhism just a little bit more. I've read 'The Buddha Within' and 'The Buddha, Geoff & Me'. Both were great books, to name but a few.

I struggle with understanding (any) religion and faith sometimes, although I never give up trying. But do find it easier to be spiritual so hopefully I'm in the right place to chat and make new friends.

Take care and hope to chat with some of you soon.

Welcome Mike :wavey:

And OMG Sophie, I live in North Lincs (/South Yorks)! Grimsby's like half-an-hour drive from us! What are the coincidences :D
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome Mike :wavey:

And OMG Sophie, I live in North Lincs (/South Yorks)! Grimsby's like half-an-hour drive from us! What are the coincidences :D

That is very spooky! :) Nice know there is someone near by then!

Thanks everyone for the welcome.
  • edited November 2010
    Hello and welcome to all new members.
    Am newish myself and haven't posted much, but hope to get to know you and learn from and with you all.
    edited November 2010
    Welcome Sandy Bay (if that's your real name, cool LOL).
  • edited November 2010
    Big welcome to all the new people.:bigclap:
  • edited November 2010
    My name is Breanne, and I'm just looking. I used to be a very Conservative Christian, but there is just...something very wrong with the close-mindedness of so many of those people.

My philosophy is love, and I agree with the main parts of Buddhism. There is something so loving and inclusive about it, and I adore it. Basically, I'm seeking and learning and forming my own views about the world.
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome Breanne. ^_^
    edited November 2010
    My name is Breanne, and I'm just looking. I used to be a very Conservative Christian, but there is just...something very wrong with the close-mindedness of so many of those people.

My philosophy is love, and I agree with the main parts of Buddhism. There is something so loving and inclusive about it, and I adore it. Basically, I'm seeking and learning and forming my own views about the world.

Ah, I quite like watching seeking, though I don't imagine I'm very good. Is it easy to play?
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited November 2010

Sweet a REAL local! I just live in Mt Vernon!
  • edited November 2010
    Name: Patrick
    Sign: Leo
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Light Brown
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 146 lbs
    Born: Toronto, Canada
    Currently: London, Ontario, Canada
    Favorite color: Light Blue
    Favorite band: Panic! At the Disco! (Wishing they'd release their next album already, lol.)
    Favorite food: Rice
    Favorite movie: AI: Artificial Intelligence
    Favorite book: Lord of the Rings

I've been lurking these forums for quite a while now, decided to join a few days ago and introduce myself today. :) I've been interested in Buddhism for about 7 months now, and Buddhist teachings and meditation has helped me overcome quite a few obstacles!

Hoping to become a valuable member of this great community. :)
  • edited November 2010
    Name: Sam
    Sign: Cancer
    Hair: Dark blonde
    Eyes: Greenish gray
    Height: six foot 2 inches
    Weight: 169 pounds
    Born: Indiana
    Live: Indiana
    Favorite book: 1984
    Favorite band: Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Sonic Youth
    Favorite food: Can't choose
    Favorite movie: 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Big Lebowski, Eraserhead
    Favorite colour: Green or brown

I decided to join after deciding I want to delve deeper into Buddhism and my own mind/ideas. Everyone here seems pretty interesting and informative so I'm looking forward to a nice stay.
    edited November 2010
    Welcome Patrick and Sam
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome Patrick and Sam

Thank you. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I love reading these intros. There's something so endearing about them.

I feel all warm and fuzzee inside.......:)

Welcome everyone. I'm very happy to see you all and I hope you have a happy and fruitful time here.
  • edited November 2010
    Welcome to everyone, glad to have you around! :D
  • edited November 2010
    Hi everyone, I'm Dan. I'm 36 and live on the south coast of England. I started meditating a few months ago and have since become very interested in the Buddhist way of life. I'm currently reading a couple of books on the subject (Hardcore Zen by Brad Warner and Buddhism Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen) plus whatever I can find on the 'net. It seems the more I read about it the more it makes sense and I've started taking my first (tentative) steps into mindfulness.
    I've got a question I was hoping someone could answer for me. What's the deal with the New Kadampa Tradition? There's a Mayhayana centre near where I live and I was thinking of going along until I read that the Dalai Lama himself was anti-NKT and called them "spirit worshippers"?
  • edited November 2010
    Hello! I'm new! :) Man all this talk about algae made me think of this ;)
    check it out http://www.algae-world.com/algae40.html

look at this i cant even introduce myself haha, really diggin this forum and it's members. great discussions.

im nonamist. im not very old. I began my life fully indoctrinated as a Christian - Lutheran. I then lived on my own and began thinking for myself and exploring culture, religion, and other countries at an alarming rate, almost failed out of college. I read the four noble truths once, heard the dalai lama speak to a stadium of christians, and now believe in a practice of kindness and compassion in the present. My only problem is a desire to learn :sadc: what good can come from my understanding? who knows. But I've been reading, i may be on to something.
  • edited November 2010
    Where to begin?.....

I'm a retired USAF MSgt, former cop, former private security consultant. I grew up in a military family in a small farming community in eastern Washington State. I'm married, have four kids, two grandkids and one on the way. I currently live in a small, isolated, mountain town in eastern Washington. I was raised as a Protestant but never connected in any way with the church. I began looking into Buddhism when I was in the military. It made more sense to me than Christianity did so I began actively studying, meditating, etc. The problem is, I never let go of the anger, violence, drugs, alcohol, that I thought was who i was. So after not too long i walked away from Buddhism and basically quit trying to do anything to change. Mainly because I didn't want to, didn't think I could...I'm really not sure. So I spent the next few years feeding the bad wolf, as my Native friend calls it. I drank, I took drugs, I slept with other people, watched only violent movies, listened only to angry music, read only books where murder, violence and mayhem were the thrust of the book. Add in PTSD, major depression and borderline personality disorder, mix well and stand back.
    The bright spot, the thing holding me together has always been my wife and kids. Well the kids are grown and out of the house now, the last moved out in October of this year. Luckily for my life and my marriage, my wife had the courage to leave also. Her leaving, and having the courage to be honest about why, has changed my life. I guess you need to get to the bottom to see the top sometimes.
    For the first time in my life, and I mean that literally, I am happy about the future. Heck, for the first time in my life i feel like I have a future. Her leaving was the thing that put me in the place to basically open my eyes. For the first time in my life I understand that my illnesses don't define who I am. I truely thought that the insecurity and self loathing, self hate, all those things that BPD, depression etc where causing me to feel, was who I was as a person, at my core. I never understood before that I am not that person, I am not those feeling. Now I am working on relearning how I view the world and other people. Before, everything was negative.....no matter what was going on, I could find a way to put a negative spin on it.
    So, a bit of rambling but i am truely happy to be here...for the first time in my life i am happy to be alive and I really like that feeling. the wife and have been talking, very honest, painful talks with a lot of tears but it's going to be okay. she is seeing the change in me, changes that need to happen for us to move forward.
    I'me studying again, meditating again, started writing in my journal again, stopped drinking, stopped smoking, taken all the violent and negative movies off of my netflix queue, stopped reading books about serial killers....I smile now, and look forward to the day, to each moment.
    I still have a lot of work to do...this isn't as easy as just having the will to make the change.....now I have to work to project that change into my life. I'm looking forward to it.:D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2010
    celticrico,

Beautiful post. Wonderful to meet you and to read about your life.

Welcome all!
    edited November 2010
    Welcome all :wavey:
  • edited December 2010
    Brigid, Love'N'Peace, thanks for the warm welcome.:)
    edited December 2010
    It's my job *bow*
  • edited December 2010
    Hi, my name is Bram, I'm from Gouda, the Netherlands, which could be familiar with some of you because of our famous Gouda Cheese. I am 21 years old and started getting interested in Buddhism at age 13 when I read the Art of Happiness, I kept interested for a long time untill about a year ago.
    At that time I had the great honour to teach english at a buddhist monastery in Nepal, through talks with the monks (the ones that spoke good english that is) and reading books I had to come to the conclusion that I no longer felt like 'one who is inspired by Buddhism' but as a Buddhist. Mainly through a big book one of the monks gave me to read called The Buddha and His Teachings. It contains the story of the Buddha's life and the general content of his teaching, the basics so to speak. After reading this I was convinced that the Buddhist Path was a path that I needed to follow. Before I left I got (and took) the opportunity to take a vow of refuge at the monastery, something that fullfills me with joy when I look back at it.

I am here to talk about Buddhism in general and to exchange ideas with all of you.
  • edited December 2010
    Welcome Bram!

<i>I'm from Gouda, the Netherlands, which could be familiar with some of you because of our famous Gouda Cheese.</i>

Oh yes. I'm from Wisconsin--where cheese is quite popular--so I've definitely heard of Gouda. And I'm personally very fond of the Netherlands in general and its social progressivism in particular. ^_^

<i> I am 21 years old and started getting interested in Buddhism at age 13 when I read the Art of Happiness</i>

I like this book very much, but only read it for the first time a few months ago...I think it could have greatly helped me if I'd read it as a teenager, so I believe you're fortunate to have come across it at such a young age. ^_^
  • edited December 2010
    Thank you Artemis, good to hear you can enjoy our cheese over there. It is a pity I'll have to dissapoint you about the netherlands' social progressivism but those days seem to be behind us... (just google 'Geert Wilders' for more on that)

I do feel fortunate for reading The Art... at such a young age, I can truly say I've been happy (I have my lesser days, but deep down this still applies) since reading it. I always recommend it to people asking for a good book on Buddhism, it really clarifies the mindstate that is the basis of Buddhism
  • edited December 2010
    Bierram wrote: »
    Thank you Artemis, good to hear you can enjoy our cheese over there. It is a pity I'll have to dissapoint you about the netherlands' social progressivism but those days seem to be behind us... (just google 'Geert Wilders' for more on that)

I just Wiki'ed him..oh my. Does he have a good deal of public support?
  • edited December 2010
    He has a sick amount of support, our parlement is depending on his political support right now, they didn't want to be in the same government as him so they just support a few of his ideas in exchange for his party's support for theirs... it is a true shame in my opinion, and an insult for all muslims in our society