Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NewBuddhist Member Introductions

Comments

• Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited September 2010
    No one minds, and good morning to you :)
  • edited September 2010
    Hi Steve! Hi Love n' Peace!
  • edited September 2010
    Hello, im a Barber by profession and proud of it. I Love my family more than anything and a huge Jimi Hendrix fan.I do like a beer and believe in hard work also paying my own way..
  • edited September 2010
    Hey Barber!
    What's your interest in Buddhism? Do you follow a particular school's teachings? Can I have a haircut, please?
  • edited September 2010
    No i dont follow any schools teaching´s and my interest in Buddhism is a fairly new one. Just trying to find out more about it.But also live in the modern world with responsiblitys , . Book a flight and your more than welcome..
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2010
    :rocker:Hendrix was an amazing guitarist - hence his ongoing influence here today
  • edited September 2010
    Hi, I’m Jeremy.

Raised Catholic. Over the years I’ve been generally spiritual, agnostic, atheist. I’ve had an off and on interest in Buddhism for years and have read a few books on the subject. I’m a recovered alcoholic who’s been through the 12 Steps. In the process, I found a deep love of Buddhism and have recently committed to a regular home practice and study. I haven’t joined a formal sangha nor do I have a formal teacher. I suppose I tend to lean toward Theravada, but I still feel too early in to commit to any particular school.
    <O:p
    I live in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[IMG]http://newbuddhist.com/forum/ /><st1:City w:st=[/IMG]Lancaster County</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">PA</st1:State></ST1:p I’m married and have two children (5 yr old girl and 3 ½ yr old boy). I enjoy home pickling, family, comic books, music, podcasts and amusement parks.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Welcome, new folks! Barber - I've been learning more and more about Buddhism and while I used to think that following the path would mean that I had to remove myself from a lot of my modern life, I'm finding now that it just makes me a much better and more pleasant body moving through the same life. Welcome to the forums!
  • edited September 2010
    I'll be likely examining (as a hindrance) my roots in American Christianity for a while. Although born Catholic, the damage was done after parting with Catholicism in my teens as I wound up in fundamentalist circles. I worked my way slowly back to "high church." Peace was made with Catholic roots and I spent some time in Universalist & Quaker communities before becoming more interested in developing myself as a compassionate / mindful person than in any belief system per se. This was mostly via Jon Kabat Zinn and Allan Watts.

I recently listened to Bhikkhu Bhodi's 10 introductory lectures and was overjoyed at hearing the Dharma this way.

Now looking for more progress in Mindfulness and Concentration but perhaps need to get firm with Metta before seeing any more of my naked self. I was raised in a VERY judgmental environment :nonono::nonono: and am susceptible to despair when seeing the strength of my attachments.

Thank you for keeping such a resource alive on the web!!
  • edited September 2010
    Jeremy

Hi - I'm new to the site also. Grew up in Narberth. Saw some Amish on the bus here in Denver yesterday - very unusual. Have young kids also. Ridiculously challenging. Reading "Everyday Blessings" and skipped right to the Chapter called "Loosing it."
  • edited September 2010
    Hey TreeLuvr87 this is where im at,just trying to find my feet really.If i can find a way to mix the two together then for me it will work.
  • edited October 2010
    Ajita,

Yes, we are surrounded by Amish here, so we're kinda used to them. Actually, Lancaster County is a growing community right now so it's become a strange mix of transplanted suburbia (of which I'm a part, been here 11 yrs.), small town and Pennsylvania Dutch. Add to that a city with a growing progressive/artistic population and you end up with a rather interesting place to live.

I'll have to check out "Everyday Blessings". My current practice toward the kids is to silently say, "please show me the way of patience, tolerance, kindliness and love," and then reflect on impermanence. Gets me through the difficult times (like bed time, dinner time, "leave mom alone" time, etc.). :)
  • edited October 2010
    Hello there, My name is Chris and I am a 23 year old graduate from England. Been interested hugely in Buddhism ever since I graduated in May and have been continuing learning about it daily really. I am trying to practically use it in every day life which is the best way of practise I think. I am a computer techie which a fond interest in Networking and security. :)

Great to be here!
  • edited October 2010
    Hello,

I'm Ryan, a 30 year old mail carrier from IL. Having been raised agnostic, I spent a lot of time finding my own way spiritually and philosophically. I had always had an attraction to Buddhism, but only superficially until the beginning of this year. Currently I'm poring over texts new and old and trying to rationalize what I've learned. As well as commit what I've learned into action (the hard part). Being a former History major I have no problem doing my research. I'm hoping this forum will further inspire me to continue, for being a newbie in the West can feel quite alienating at times.
    edited October 2010
    Welcome everyone :wavey:
    edited October 2010
    Welcome, new folks!!
  • edited October 2010
    I'm new and exploring Buddhism. I came here because I want to understand Buddhism better and just talk to some Buddhists.

Lots of what I've read about Buddhism rings true to me. The connection between worrying/suffering and attachments, for example. Also it seems true to me that people are conditioned, but I'm not sure I understand how that relates to reincarnation. And I thought that when I was a Christian I learned to be humble, but now I notice little things like letting another person get on the train first.

I'm really tired right now and struggling with the possibility of an outcome which could be slightly disfiguring. I think fearing this is just an attachment to looking 'normal.' Could that be so?
    edited October 2010
    No, get lost
    edited October 2010
    Only kidding! :D My jokes can be a bit hard to understand on occasion, welcome :wavey:
    edited October 2010
    I'm new and exploring Buddhism. I came here because I want to understand Buddhism better and just talk to some Buddhists.

Lots of what I've read about Buddhism rings true to me. The connection between worrying/suffering and attachments, for example. Also it seems true to me that people are conditioned, but I'm not sure I understand how that relates to reincarnation. And I thought that when I was a Christian I learned to be humble, but now I notice little things like letting another person get on the train first.

I'm really tired right now and struggling with the possibility of an outcome which could be slightly disfiguring. I think fearing this is just an attachment to looking 'normal.' Could that be so?

You definitely belong here if you want to learn more about Buddhism. I can't say that the threads always make me understand it better lol, but there are some great folks here that will be glad to help you out in terms of explaining their own beliefs. My favorite thing about Buddhism is that Buddha told us to find our own path and provided his as a skeleton, a guideline. So this is a great place to do some research if you're trying to discover the stones you want to build your own path with. Welcome! :D
  • edited October 2010
    emmak wrote: »
    I am going to copy Elohim's format.
    Name: Carlia
    Sign: Pisces
    Hair: Light brown
    Eyes: The colour I associate with pond scum algae - kinda green
    Height: 176cm
    Weight: 58 kg
    Born: Perth, Western Australia
    Live: As above
    Favorite book: Catch 22, Cloudstreet
    Favorite band: changes weekly
    Favorite food: Satay noodles
    Favorite movie: Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange,Pulp Fiction, The Killing Fields
    Favorite colour: Pink. Green.

I do not have a tale as long as the above :), but here goes.
    I have had in interest in Buddhism since I was about 15. I did some reading etc, but that was all until about two years ago. Religion is not something my family talks about much - due to the fact that we have never been religous. I was baptised but never attended church. My stepfather is a non practising mormon. (Yes, used to doorknock...) He is a wealth of somewhat untapped information.
    In Australia, religion does not really play a strong part in most peoples lives. I am generalising here, but most people I know do not attend church or have been baptised. It is just not an issue, which is sad because Australia already has a 'no culture'.
    I have attended a temple a few times, but as I have been working and have a small child, it is hard to find the time. (Temples just don't have creches, LOL!) Now that I have resigned, hopefully I can go to the temple more often and learn some more, speak to some more people, get the meditation down pat. There are dozens of different temples in my cityand all sects are covered. The temple I have attended is Tibetan Buddhist. I cannot even say why I chose that temple. I went to a few and the one I attend just sat right with me, so I will stick with that one.
    I do not consider my practise of buddhism to be a religion. Some of my family have said some nasty remarks about my turning to religion in a time of crisis, but I do not consider it to be that at all. Buddhism to me is a way of life and a way of thinking, dealing with people, problems, life. It helps me be calm, and makes me think about things from all sorts of perspectives. I am learning to be less judgemental (SLOWLY) and accepting of peoples weird views, oops I mean different views to mine.
    I love this forum, you people have become my mates. There are some fatherly types and motherly types, and some buddies and some spunks...;) You people make me laugh and I know I can ask things and get a response, and even if you laugh at me - I don't know it!
    Carlia
    The difference between christianity and buddhism is u people say lord thank u when your parents give u presents for christmas, our people say thank u mother thank u father instead thanking something we don't see or feel. the god and evil is in people. one can find a peace of mind only in him.
  • edited October 2010
    Hello and Namaste everyone!

I wanted to come and introduce myself. I've been reading online for a while, but only recently joined, and this is my first post :)

I'm a beginner. I've said "I'm a Buddhist" for 6 years now, but with the arrival of my daughter and other events in life, practice slid back. I think mostly because I had forgotten what 'practice' is. I never made time to meditate, so I never made space in my mind for living as a Buddhist, practicing in daily life, of BEING a Buddhist.

I think I'd like to go to the Buddhist temple close to me (Chenrezig Institute in Eudlo, QLD, Australia), although I'm scared of saying the wrong thing, doing the wrong thing, eeeek! So I thought, baby steps, I'll join this forum and hopefully muster up the courage to venture out to the Buddhist communities IRL.

Nice to meet you all :)
    edited October 2010
    Hope you pick up the courage, you only live life once (wait..., well, you know what I mean). Welcome! :wavey:
  • edited October 2010
    Hello Everyone...

just a quick introduction as I am new to this forum.

My name is Bryan, I am 46 years old and live in the south west of England.
    Married, two grown up children and two grandchildren.

I first became interested in Buddhism when I was about 15 years old and decided to live by the precepts in about 1998.

I don't have a Sangha locally so almost all of my contact with fellow Buddhists has been on the internet. Personally if I had to put myself into a particular school of Buddhism it would be Soto Zen although that does not mean that I am not interested in, or am anti, other schools of Buddhism.

I used to be actively engaged in the old Dharmatemple web forum but that folded some time ago.. I wonder if there are any old Dharmatemple members here?

Anyway, as I said, this is just a quick introduction and hopefully I will post more in the future.

Regards to all,

in Dharma,

Bryan
  • edited October 2010
    Hi, I'm new here. I started to become interested in Buddhism again about a year ago. Actually my mom is Buddhist but she and my father raised me in the US in a secular environment so I didn't learn much about it when I was a kid. We'd go to the Indian temple on holidays, nothing else. Also my dad is Hindu so I was always confused about what was Buddhist and what was Hindu. Like imagine if your Mom was Jewish and your Dad was Christian and you got raised in India! :p You'd probably be confused too.

So a couple of years ago I traveled around Asia and learned a lot about Buddhism. Then I came home and last year I started studying it. I don't know if I'd call myself a Buddhist, but it has really made an impact on my thinking. What I study seems nothing like how my mom practices, though. Also I went to a few temples but they seemed nothing like what I was studying either. Since then I've just stuck to my books.

A few times when I had questions I posted about them online on Buddhist discussion forums, but I can't find those now. So I'm here because my life has taken a turn for the worse in recent months and I'm trying to figure out how to cope with it. Maybe I'll ask more questions later about all that.

Otherwise, hello!!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2010
    pariyatti wrote: »
    I think I'd like to go to the Buddhist temple close to me (Chenrezig Institute in Eudlo, QLD, Australia), although I'm scared of saying the wrong thing, doing the wrong thing, eeeek! So I thought, baby steps, I'll join this forum and hopefully muster up the courage to venture out to the Buddhist communities IRL.

Please don't be afraid to go the temple. You're not going to have to walk around on eggshells there. Just be yourself. The people there are just peeps like you!

Palzang
  • edited October 2010

Hi, I'm SteadyBlue. My story is almost the exact same as this person's. What's more, apparently we live in the same city. So hello to everybody and to nature lover, my fellow Bostonian.
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    pariyatti wrote: »
    Hello and Namaste everyone!

Greetings.

I happen to attend Chenrezig - great center.

Don't worry - the locals don't bite - there are really very nice. Normal consideration is appropriate and there are lots of signs around warning you of appropriate behaviour.

A couple of points which you should be aware of - DON'T feed the wildlife and swatting mozzies is not considered particularly auspicious.

Removing shoes and headgear is appropriate when enter the Gompa or library. Modest casual dress is desirable - and comfortable. And don't feel you have to sit crossed legged on a cushion. There are chairs. Sitting cross legged takes a bit of getting use to.

But please don't worry - your worst fears are never realized.

If you are a bit worried about what to do just ask one of the nuns or monks. People are really very helpful.

Have you checked out Chenrezig web site. The Thursday evening teaching with Geshe-la is good place to start. You might also consider the guided meditation teachings.

There is also a great Dharma shop with lots of Buddhist goodies, books, music, practice material etc etc ...

And HHDL will be present next year with respect to the Enlightenment Project.
    Nice to meet you all :)

And nice to meet you.
    edited October 2010
    Welcome everyone :wavey:
  • edited October 2010
    Got room for an Aussie mama of 2?
    I went to a session on 7 point mind training done by Dagri Rinpoche on the weekend and I enjoyed it a lot
    Want to help deal with past hurts and anger and be more compassionate to others

So hi everyone!
    edited October 2010
    Got room for an Aussie mama of 2?
    I went to a session on 7 point mind training done by Dagri Rinpoche on the weekend and I enjoyed it a lot
    Want to help deal with past hurts and anger and be more compassionate to others

So hi everyone!

Hi - welcome - another Aussie.

The Seven Point Mind Training is an excellent teaching. It forms part of the Lam Rim so you are on the right track from the start.

There is lots of 'past' to get through as you start on the path - so join the club.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi - welcome - another Aussie.

The Seven Point Mind Training is an excellent teaching. It forms part of the Lam Rim so you are on the right track from the start.

There is lots of 'past' to get through as you start on the path - so join the club.

Hehehe. I figured it was a common denominator.
    I'd love to find a temple or a centre closer to me. The one I went to was at Camp Hill and I'm from near Kedron in Brisbane and don't drive but would love to get together with other Buddhists more frequently.. does anyone have any suggestions?

What is the Lam Rim?
    edited October 2010
    Hehehe. I figured it was a common denominator.
    I'd love to find a temple or a centre closer to me. The one I went to was at Camp Hill and I'm from near Kedron in Brisbane and don't drive but would love to get together with other Buddhists more frequently.. does anyone have any suggestions?

What is the Lam Rim?

Check out this - the centre is in Camp Hill but if you make contact you might find local members.

There is also Chenrezig at Edulo which is on the Sunshine Coast.

While there are many Buddhist tradition it would appear you are following the Tibetan tradition and it is probably good to stick with the one tradition - it is confusing enough without mixing traditions.

With respect to the Lam Rim you could check this out. But you really need a qualified teacher to explain.

If you want some assistance you could PM me and I will offer what I can.
  • edited October 2010
    Check out this - the centre is in Camp Hill but if you make contact you might find local members.

There is also Chenrezig at Edulo which is on the Sunshine Coast.

While there are many Buddhist tradition it would appear you are following the Tibetan tradition and it is probably good to stick with the one tradition - it is confusing enough without mixing traditions.

With respect to the Lam Rim you could check this out. But you really need a qualified teacher to explain.

If you want some assistance you could PM me and I will offer what I can.

Oh yep I went there on Saturday. I like Tibetan Buddhism. :)

Is it essential to go very often to temple? Or is it okay if I just go when I can? My husband wants to do a course now too. :)
    edited October 2010
    Oh yep I went there on Saturday. I like Tibetan Buddhism. :)

Is it essential to go very often to temple? Or is it okay if I just go when I can? My husband wants to do a course now too. :)

Probably time for private mail - just to save space here. I will PM you.
  • edited October 2010
    Hello all :) I am somewhat of a beginner, I guess there is always something new to learn and discover. I joined a while ago, but was off travelling, ow that I am back I hope to be able to be part of the community here and get to know some people and hopefully continue to learn and develop within myself :)
  • edited October 2010
    Welcome back Lajila ;).
    edited October 2010
    Welcome all you newbies :wavey:
  • edited October 2010
    Hi!

I wrote a huge, long detailed intro post, and then got timed out :rolleyes:

So, short version is: I'm Dave, I live in northern England. Looking forward to chatting, learning and (virtually) meeting you :)

Cheers
    Dave
    edited October 2010
    Hello, are you a writing desk :hrm:
  • edited October 2010
    Hi everyone, I joined a couple of months ago, but have been away for a while. I haven't forgot you ;)
    And welcome to all co-newbies :D
    edited October 2010
    Welcome and welcome back!!
  • edited October 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Hello, are you a writing desk :hrm:

I can be ;):D
    edited October 2010
    LOL
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I am very new into Buddhism. I was born a Christian and raised with Lutheran ideals. In College and up to today. I was tired of the fighting between all the Abrahmic religions. Also I did not like how religions were interfering with the promotion of Science.

I am a man of logic and debate. From what I understand with Buddhism, it does not fight or compete with science. It wants to find understanding. I also have a lot of stress in my life. I've been reading on some of the books from the Dalai Lama.

I've been reading:
    200901_DalaiLamabook.jpg

I am loving this book. Some of the teachings is helping me to relax and be happy. I still have lots of practice. I have yet to start mediating yet. I hope to start doing it soon. I like how Buddhism doesn't have this mentality that they are better then anybody else. The only job is help end suffering.

Well I don't want to go too long. I hope to be here for a while and learn.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Welcome B5C.I hope we can be of some assistance.I am not in the Vajrayana tradition myself but we have people like Palzang who I am sure can help you with your questions.
    Enjoy the journey.
    With metta
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Thanks, A big question how do you know which sect is for you? My cousin can only tell me of the Vajrayana traditions. I've meet others with who are in different sects. I am only reading the Dalai Lama books that is because he is well known and it was a recommendation by my cousin.

Know what? I should ask my question in a new topic. :)
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Thanks, A big question how do you know which sect is for you? My cousin can only tell me of the Vajrayana traditions. I've meet others with who are in different sects. I am only reading the Dalai Lama books that is because he is well known and it was a recommendation by my cousin.

Know what? I should ask my question in a two topic. :)
    What I would suggest is see what temples are near to you and go spend a little time at each.I guess its a bit like owning a car.Some people like Chevy,some people like Ford.Both cars,just different designs.I started out out in Vajrayana and later moved to Theravada.It seemed to suit me better.I will add here that spending a lot of time in Thailand naturally had some bearing on this as Theravada is what is most commonly practiced.
    Take your time and don't be swayed by outward appearances.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi, my name is Edward. I have recently started learning and exploring Buddhism. Each passing day I find myself more and more drawn to its teachings. I recently began meditation on the breath. At first I found myself constantly distracted like every 3 seconds with random thoughts, then I return to the breath, random thoughts, return to the breath. However, now I am finding that as I meditate more those random thoughts come to me less frequently. Its weird, because I have only been meditating daily for only 3 weeks!. Anyhow, I am glad I joined this excellent site and look forward to many interesting discussions and answers to the many questions I will have as I learn and practice more.
  • edited October 2010

Know what? I should ask my question in a new topic. :)
    Hey.. Try Reading Books of Thich Nhat Hanh-Mahayana and Dr. Walpola Rahula/ Dr. K. Dhammananda-Theravada