Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How was your day?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Tonto the Moto... The mind boggles....!!
    If you need anything, call us....

It's a matter of personal debate to me how far one can be pleased with one's own achievement, without then becoming an issue of Ego.... Surely one can at least look back and delight, maybe not so much in the progress of the last week, but even as far back as years ago, and be happy at how far one has come....
    I think one can be pleased with ones' self (I sound like ones' monarch!) insofar as we can be glad that by our attempts to improve our lot, then others benefit too... it's a chain reaction... And given that we 'strive' to be better people, and to love ourselves unconditionally, we transmit this outwards, and others perceiving the changes, feel happier in our company....
    I'm struggling to step out of Ego here, and I know i have a way to go, so I will just come out and say it:
    I have been told by Clients I had in the UK, as a Feng Shui consultant, and as a Shiatsu Therapist, that I had changed their lives.
    I have been told by clients here in france, to whom I have taught Qi Gong, that i have had 'an effet incroyable' on their outlook and character....

And all I will say, and say in all sincerity, is that people can only react in a certain way if they are first open and receptive to this influence. So much as I might have had these effects on people, it is only because I hit the right buttons, and they were ready....
    But I am delighted that it was a good and beneficial effect, rather than the opposite...!!
    So when I know I'm doing OK... I try to measure it by how people react to me, rather than to merely look at me as a yardstick....
    Does all this make sense, or am I talking doo-doos....?!? :lol:
  • edited January 2006
    You? Talk doo-doos? (Wiping tears of laughter from eyes) No.

I wish we had two words for pride in English like we have in French - there is fierté which is justifiable pride in one's work (see I use one all the time!) which means taking a pride in doing it to the best of one's ability and there is orgeil which is the negative pride that takes offense and is ego based.

OK - I am taking a bit of "fierté" in my progress - because only you and I know how utterly beastly it could have been a few months ago!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    My day was great!

Knitwitch,
    My grandmother (from Scotland) used to describe people who had dignity and self-esteem as having a "good conceit" of themselves.

Looking for Answers,

I second that advice from Genryu. Definitely find an advocate who can give you free and sound advice regarding landlord/tenant issues. Try Legal Aid (or any variation thereof), landlord/tenant mediators or family groups. There will be governmental and private associations you can call. Just do a little online research but definitely get professional advice. You don't have to deal with these things on your own. We can't be expected to know all the ins and outs of landlord/tenant relations. Also, really read and go over your lease so you're familiar with the terms of the agreement with your landlord. And last, but not least, a show of good will goes a long way. Oh, and stay calm, no matter what. We tend to get anxious in unfamiliar legal situations and that's natural. But if you stay calm things will work out the way you need them to. It sucks and it's a drag but it's a great learning experience, it really is. I've been there a few times myself.

Don't worry. "Everything comes to pass. Nothing comes to stay."

Respectfully yours,
    Brigid
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Forgive my ignorance, Fede. What is Qi Gong?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Qi Gong is a passive Martial Art, very like Tai Chi, but even more calm and 'still'.. it is in fact a predecessor to Tai Chi as we know it... Qi means 'Energy' and 'Gong' means labour, or work... so it's just channelling and working the Energy... as any form of Martial Art could be said to be...
    But it has a series of definitive movements, and is for me, utterly bliss.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Sounds interesting. I can't do Yoga for physical reasons and would like to try something like what you mentioned. It would definitely be easier for me. Thanks for the info.
  • edited February 2006
    Well last Wednesday was a bit of a bummer, so like a nice surprise pressie, all pretty paper and bows, today has been great. I had one of those rare, treasurable sessions with a client where everything clicked and neither of us noticed the time passing. After two and a half hours of working on a presentation, we looked at each other and said "Ohhhh over already?"

And then I got an offer to do what I like best - factory visit! Yum yum yum - and lots of chunky notes to write up afterwards. AND the client's so impressed he's going to come to the Centre and pick me up and drive me back - bless, what a lovely guy, he knows how much I loathe driving in city centres. I am blessed - here, grab a piece and share it around. :)
    edited February 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    Sounds interesting. I can't do Yoga for physical reasons and would like to try something like what you mentioned. It would definitely be easier for me. Thanks for the info.

Sorry to skip over your post, for the moment, Knitwitch.... :)

Jerbear, most of the movements and positions require a standing stance with a slight flexion of the knees, and a backward tilt of the pelvis - thus tucking the coccyx under, but without the added/exaggerated contraction of the abdominal muscles... Movement of the legs is confined to either stransferring weight from one leg to the other (side to side and forwards and backwards) or merely turning the legs in turn, to accommodate a movement of the upper body...

Posture (legs, pelvis, straight back, dropped shoulders, centred head) is of vital and continual importance throughout the entire range of exercises... it is basically the transfer of the body-load from the lumbar region to the thighs - where it should always be.

yay you Knitwitch... i'll have a bit with the crust, ta.... :)
  • edited February 2006
    :thumbsup: One big happy cake straight out of the oven - big slice or little slice, darlin'?:winkc:
    edited February 2006
    what do you think - ?!? :lol:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    A small slice, like a small drink, is just a waste of washing-up!

As my friend's mother always used to say to us: "If you're going to have one, have a BIG one!" (She used to get really annoyed because she didn't understand our giggles)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    My day has been a challenge. I'm having lots of pain, esp. in my left leg and big toe. Walking's making it worse. So's lying down. Semi-lotus is the only position I think I can maintain. Had to take extra meds but luckily not the narcotic ones. I don't feel bitchy, just kinda defeated, maybe accepting. I'm using my techniques, one of which is forcing myself to smile. Smiling when you're in pain works like magic. I recommend it highly.
    So I'm practicing a lot today. Earlier my father's behaviour was presenting a challenge and I told him I had to leave and go to my room because I didn't have control enough to practice right speech. I wanted to lash out so I left the situation. I explained it to him, though. Curtly. LOL
    I'm sitting in semi-lotus right now and it's working pretty well. Also, Kowtaaia recommended two yoga positions that might help so I'm going to research them and find some pics and give them a try. I need to stretch the muscles that are pressing on my nerves. These are the times when no amount of meds will bring the pain down to a managable level so I have to use other techniques. If it gets too bad I'll turn off the lights and sit and use single pointed concentration on the pain to transform it into something meaningless.
    You can see how the pain takes over and pushes all thoughts other than pain control out of my head. It's not even at crisis level. I'm only sitting at around a 7 1/2 on the pain scale. It's the quality of it, the nerves, that make it so challenging. I was able to eat which is so great.
    Other than that it's been a good day. :D LOL! No, really! You guys won't hear from me on a bad one. ;)

Love,
    Brigid
    edited February 2006
    As my friend's mother always used to say to us: "If you're going to have one, have a BIG one!" (She used to get really annoyed because she didn't understand our giggles)

Aaaaah, innocence is a wonderful thing.....! Would I have mine back......??

Yes - !!!!!!

....and No.......!:D
  • edited February 2006
    Hello all,
    Had a hard day today, I'm trying to teach my "nature" hating father not to kill every living creature he comes across. While I know that I shouldn't preach and push my Buddhist views about life/creatures onto him, I just think its unneccessary for him to kill them......he's a Christian(Catholic) I even tried the thou shalt not kill on him....but we degenerated into bickering so I left it and went back to work....in his vinyard!!!!!!:grumble:
    Apart from that work has been interesting. I'm about to take some further training in guiding and working with the blind (Vision Australia). This should be interesting and a change from working with people with mental illness.
    Brian powerful emotions even on an unconscious level manifest themselves in different ways...don't mess around with the headaches, don't delay, get them checked out.:rockon: LOVE ALL SERVE ALL
  • edited February 2006
    Good Moring, All!

I am looking forward to today! I have begun on a happy and positive note.
    In part because my Buddhist boyfriend is home from the Gulf states...even if it is only for 10 days! I will have the opportunity to share with him all that I have read and learned from here!

Brigid, I am sorry to hear about your discomfort!! I have never 'met' anyone with such endurance and positivity as you!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Thanks, Sharpiegirl.
    I'm just lucky that way.
  • edited February 2006
    Tricycle's Daily Dharma: February 2, 2006

I received the following from the Tricycle's daily dharma. I thought it was a beautiful...and wanted to share.

From Seeds to Flowers
    [T]he Buddha compares his teaching to the rainfall that descends without discrimination on the earth. That this rain causes some seeds to grow into flowers and some into great trees inplies no differentiation in the rain but rather is due to the capacities of the seeds that it nurtures. Thus, the teaching of the Buddha is of a single flavor but benefits beings in a variety of ways according to their capacity. --Donald S. Lopez, Jr., Buddhism in Practice
    edited February 2006
    Hmmmmmm........A post in ten-foot high letters wouldn't be amiss, Sharpiegirl...
    Then everyone would see it..... :)
  • edited February 2006
    Here it goes, Fede....

From Seeds to Flowers
    [T]he Buddha compares his teaching to the rainfall that descends without discrimination on the earth. That this rain causes some seeds to grow into flowers and some into great trees inplies no differentiation in the rain but rather is due to the capacities of the seeds that it nurtures. Thus, the teaching of the Buddha is of a single flavor but benefits beings in a variety of ways according to their capacity. --Donald S. Lopez, Jr., Buddhism in Practice

:woowoo: :bigclap:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    OOOHHH!!! Wonderfull!! Just lovely.
    Thank you, Sharpiegirl.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Fede,
    The Qi Gong sounds very interesting. There are days that I can't help but hold my back up straight, shoulders back, head up straight, because anything else hurts too much. Let me know more!

Sharpiegirl,
    Thanks for the post. It really does remind us that we don't all have to achieve the same things. Zen teaches that all of us have the possibility of becoming a Buddha from what I've read. I may be wrong on this one. But I know that we all have Buddha-nature. So, let's use it to our fullest.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Brigid,
    Sorry you're hurting so. Know that you're in my thoughts and you may email me if necessary.
  • edited February 2006
    We try so hard to hang on to the teachings and "get it," but actually the truth sinks in like rain into very hard earth. The rain is very gentle, and we soften up slowly at our own speed. But when that happens, something has fundamentally changed in us. That hard earth has softened. It doesn't seem to happen by trying to get it or capture it. It happens by letting go; it happens by relaxing your mind, and it happens by the aspiration and the longing to want to communicate with yourself and others. Each of us finds our own way. --Pema Chodron, Start Where You Are

...again from the Tricycle.
    I think I have to post this on every wall in my house!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I so want to study with Pema Chodron! But I have to stop being so attached to that idea.

This is a great quote, Sharpiegirl. It reminds me of when you're trying to remember a word you've blanked out on and the more you try to remember, the further it runs away. But when you stop trying it pops into your head. It's the same with trying to remember your dreams when you first wake up. Usually you only remember the last parts of the dream and when you try to recall the beginning, it eludes you. But if you relax, sometimes it just comes back on it's own. It seems that it's our own interference that blocks the way.

Love,
    Brigid
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I would like to report that I did not have to take pain killers for break through pain today. I am still on my regular medication, but no extra. This has been a good day!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Whenever anyone asks me, "How is YOUR day?" I answer politely, but vigorously:

"I assure you, this day does NOT belong to ME."

I wonder if they get it: My life is SLAVERY for low wages and relentless work demands in geriatric healthcare (I do have a conscience.). I work 9 hours, get paid for 7 1/2, and have only about 7 or 8 minutes to gobble down a few bites. Sometimes the opportunity presents itself for me to have a drink of water. The secret is to stay cool, calm, collected, and friendly. The staying collected part is the hardest.

Good thing labour unions fought for and won the 40-hour week, or I'd be doing this seven days a week, instead of only 5.

Lucky for me I have good support at home (--As to those who oppose labour unions, well, why not just bring back slavery?).

That's what you get for a magna cum laude BA in philosophy degree
  • edited February 2006
    Nirvana wrote:
    That's what you get for a magna cum laude BA in philosophy degree

True.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    I would like to report that I did not have to take pain killers for break through pain today. I am still on my regular medication, but no extra. This has been a good day!

I, too, take absurd satisfaction in days when I have managed without nitro-lingual spray!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Nirvana,
    My heart goes out to. When I first graduated from nursing school, I worked on a long term care ventilator unit. I normally was the only RN, had 2 LPN's and 4 aides for 36 patients. I was responsible for the whole unit. I thought it slavery after 6 months. Needless to say, I got out of it. But what upset me most was being unable to provide the care needed for these little old people. There was a group of us that got things done in a reasonable time limit and got people cared for. But that was only for about 3 months. So I know you're frustrations. Glad I left to work in ICU.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Simon,
    That's great. Knowing that your coronary arteries are getting oxygen is a very good thing indeed. I would be even more thrilled with that. My goal is to get the breakthrough pain meds down to a few times a week. My doc really wants it down to once a week, but I think he's a tad delusiona. And he also is off about the meds. LOL!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Jerbear wrote:

YAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!

:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

That's WONDERFUL news!!!!
    SO happy for you.

I am also having a wonderful day. Little pain, lots of good nerve shivers (I like to think they're healing) and a deep sense of well being with out any extra meds. In fact, I'm three hours late taking them. Don't remember ever feeling this good without the meds. I'm very happy and relaxed.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Brigid,

Please see PM from me.

Bear Hugs,
    Jerry
  • edited February 2006
    Jerry and Brigid:

I am very happy to hear that you are both feeling well...well enough to not have to count the hours until medicine time...:)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Sharpiegirl,

LOVED your photo in the "New Buddhist...Photos" thread! It's beautiful!

I feel great today! You've obviously suffered physical pain before because you know about counting the hours. I usually don't have to do that. But sometimes...
    But there really is NOTHING in the world like relief from pain. That's what I'm celebrating right now. I feel so free! I can get up and walk anywhere I want, I can make my own tea and I can think and see straight. If I hadn't had the pain I'd never know how lovely it feels to be without it. It may not last but I'm going to enjoy it while it does. You know what it reminds me of? Having a dream that you're late for school on Monday morning and waking up to find it's Saturday morning. THAT'S how good it feels. LOL! YAAAY!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Sharpiegirl,
    Thanks. The day wasn't pain free, but a day without the breakthrough pain meds was nice. I don't usually have those kind of days. I'm happy for the days I only have to take 2 tablets of the breakthrough medications. Which is most days. I'm just glad to be alive.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Dear SharpieGirl,

I am writing this letter to you because I was wondering If I could come to see you in Niagara as it is one of my favourite places on earth. I love the falls and it seems like you may live nearby.

Brigid, who I'm sure you know, has told me she lives nowhere near Niagara, but I feel that this is just a coverup-she's avoiding me because she thinks I'm a stalker. This is not true, the courts said I was just "looking for some special garbage" in her trashcan-so there!.

regards,

Xrayman.
  • edited February 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    she's avoiding me because she thinks I'm a stalker. This is not true, the courts said I was just "looking for some special garbage" in her trash can-so there!.

hysterical4bq.gif
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Brigid, who I'm sure you know, has told me she lives nowhere near Niagara, but I feel that this is just a coverup-she's avoiding me because she thinks I'm a stalker. This is not true, the courts said I was just "looking for some special garbage" in her trashcan-so there!.

regards,

Xrayman.

That's NOT what the courts said and you know it!
    They said "500 meters", get it? "500 meters"!
    (SOME people...)
  • edited February 2006
    Hey Xrayman...I live about 15 minutes north of the Niagara Falls...I frequent there quite often during the summer months!
    Where are you from? Didn't I see Australia???

how sweeet....all that way...just to see meeeee???!!!!:buck:
  • edited February 2006
    Thank you Brigid...that was very sweet of you...
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Yes I live in Australia SG.

I love a sunburnt country,
    a land of sweeping plains,
    of ragged mountain ranges,
    of droughts and flooding rains,
    i love her far horizons,
    i love her jewelled sea,
    her beauty and her terror,
    the wide brown land for me.

(Incidentally written by an Englishwoman!)

- No I don't KNOW the Crocodile Hunter-he's just a D******d that we all want to deport for being a prat.

Brigid 500 metres, 5 metres what's the difference? You know I'm your long-lost Boyfriend stop trying to deflect the attention...
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    "Brigid 500 metres, 5 metres what's the difference? You know I'm your long-lost Boyfriend stop trying to deflect the attention..."

Xrayman,

495 meters.
    And I've NEVER lost a boyfriend in my life!
  • edited February 2006
    My day is like every day: trying to untie knots.
  • edited February 2006
    Cut 'em Harlan - you ain't going to use the string again.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited February 2006
    My day was spent worrying. I have the biggest interview of my life tomorrow. It's for a six-week academic program, at a college that's about 300 miles from my hometown - and it's considered one of the best summer programs in the Southeastern US. There are fifty other people auditioning, and only about 15 of us are going to make it... :-/
    The scariest thing: I have to speak in only French for 15 minutes straight or I'm disqualified...

GAH. So worried!
    edited February 2006
    Sabine...
    rapelle-toi....
    parle lentement, pour te donner du temps à reflechir.... reste calme, soit sereine et souriante.
    Il faut que tu respires profondamment, et doucement. Laisse que tes epaules soyent basses, et que tes mains restent douces sur tes jambes.
    Surtout, sache que tout le monde a les mêmes soucis que toi.... et tu as l'avantage d'être la plus gentile..... :)
  • edited February 2006
    Ce n'est que quinze minutes ma chère - nous, on est obligé de le faire tous les jours! Bon courage ma petite!
  • edited February 2006
    Good Luck Sabine!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    hatWay areay ouyay ayinsay? Iay on'tday understanday hatway ouy areay alkingtay aboutay?
  • edited February 2006
    lol!!!!!