Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Boston Marathon Explosions

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
Just wanted to start a thread where we could talk about the bombs that went off at the Boston Marathon today.

Its early so things may change but what they are saying is confirmed is that 2 explosions went off about 15 seconds apart near the end of the marathon. Another explosion apparently went off at a library in Boston as well and the authorities say they recovered at least one other unexploded bomb in a nearby trashcan. So far 2 have died and 23 people have been injured. I think they said 6 of the injuries were critical, some of them amputations.

My take is that as this was during a marathon there were a large number of police and ambulances already on scene and thus people that may have bled to death waiting for help were able to be saved and the situation was quickly under control. This is scary to people, especially to those in the area but as far as an attack on the US it really means nothing apart from the potential fear that it may generate. They have no idea who set the bombs but terrorist groups have no doubt been trying to attack the US for 12 years since 9/11 and if this is all they can muster during that amount of time it is something I think we can accept without having to panic and hand over all our rights for greater security.

There have been attacks in Europe and I'd be curious to hear how those of you who live over there have handled them.

Comments

• That's really sad -- I've been at work all day, so I don't know what's been going on in the world over the past 8 hours. Hopefully those who are injured will pull through. I know since 9/11 the nearly sole focus has been international terrorism, but don't forget that we have our own homegrown crazies too.
    riverflow
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Some early reports suggest that there is no credit taken by any terrorist groups and no threat or indication that an attack was imminent which seems to suggest a lone individual or isolated group maybe did the attack.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Remember that any time there is a situation like this, any information coming out in the media is tenuous at best. It is not fact and it's best to be aware that anything you might hear may not be true. Many things have been said and later taken back already today. The explosion at the library was not an explosion but a fire (unrelated to the bombs) in the mechanical room.

If it makes you very afraid, stop watching. You aren't doing yourself any favors by scaring yourself into being afraid to leave the house. It's scary, for sure. But the media is well entwined in our culture of fear. It's the same as in the 80s when every parent though daycares were run by satanic cults and every child who walked to the bus stop would get kidnapped.

Very sad that it happened. So many victims. Speculation on who did it and why doesn't help any one.

"For never in this world
    Do hatreds cease through hatred;
    Through love alone do they end.
    This is the ancient and eternal law."
    Invincible_summerriverflowlobster
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Uh oh...Not again.
  • ThomBThomB Explorer
    Less than a mile from where I used to work. Brought back memories of 9/11. I work in state government and they sent people home because nobody knew what was going on. Very sad.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Can you imagine how devoid of empathy you'd have to be to perpetrate such an action.
    lobsterDobsriverflow
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    how said:

Can you imagine how devoid of empathy you'd have to be to perpetrate such an action.

Or when it comes to the attack itself. There are a lot of people saying that we shouldn't feel bad about what's happening because "millions in the world die every day" and the there are children starving in Africa. So we shouldn't think that this is that big of a tragedy.

The lack of compassion found on the Internet astounds me. Everything is much easier to say when you are behind a keyboard.

riverflownenkohaiNadja
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited April 2013
    While I care, I do not want to trigger problems for some of our users by talking about it a lot.

However, I will thank the first responders and civilians and emergency preplanners that helped in Boston.
    riverflowblack_tea
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    We are so lucky it wasn't a real terrorist attack, and instead was two little DIY bombs.
    Imagine what a wheelie-bin full of ammonium nitrate could have done.
    The whole street, maybe a thousand dead.

May all those injured, dead, or affected find some peace.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Turn off the TV if you can. It's on where I work.

What rubbish coverage, all hype.

Did the bombs go off after several people had already won or not?

I've yet to hear a tittle or an iota about the timing, in spite of my attempts.

@Jason, no I don't care about crazy, insane situations such as Iraq. What good would it do? But I did live in Cambridge, Mass and worked in Copley Square for a couple of years. That does hit home to me. I'm wondering who I can call to find out about the Boston Marathon.

It's the Boston Marathon, @youmediathugs in TV land, not a soap box for drama...
    riverflow
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @Nirvana, I'm not clear what your point is about the timing of the bomb blasts. They talked about that repeatedly yesterday...over and over.

I do tend to agree with you -- to a degree -- about Jason's post. Do I feel bad that things like that happen in Iraq, or the earthquake in Iran, or the mudslide in _____, or the...it goes on and on. But it's not so easy to identify with people in a nation I've never visited and don't know anything more about than what I read. And, I personally can't do anything about the situation in Iraq. On the other hand, I have spent time in Boston, I know the American culture, I know people who run marathons and potentially could have been in Boston, I've stayed in a hotel that's right there within a block of the blast. So in the situation in Iraq, I can't really relate, but when it's close to home, I can. I don't think it's wise or mentally healthy for any of us to allow ourselves to be the receptacle for the whole world's misery. I do what I can closer to home or in Thailand, where I know the people and culture. I will have to leave the rest of the world to others. My resources are limited.
    Invincible_summer
    In my mind I've been comparing this attack to mass shootings. The shootings have tended to have greater casualties but these bombs have caused many very serious, life altering injuries.

Its hard to say one is worse than the other, I think its more that they are different and this is an attack we haven't seen before in the US.
    edited April 2013
    My point, if you insist on calling it that, is that they never talked about the race results. It was all about the violence.

Or if "they" did, they did it in a sort of code that one not having time to "watch" missed. I might have looked a few times and listened a bit, but I was at work, and now it's still about the violence.

Shame. Shame.

Did the bombs go off before, during, or after the first, second, and third persons crossed the finish line? That's basically all I'm asking.

Nirvana said:

My point, if you insist on calling it that, is that they never talked about the race results. It was all about the violence.

Or if "they" did, they did it in a sort of code that one not having time to "watch" missed. I might have looked a few times and listened a bit, but I was at work, and now it's still about the violence.

Shame. Shame.

Did the bombs go off before, during, or after the first, second, and third persons crossed the finish line? That's basically all I'm asking.

The bombings happened about 2 hours after the elite runners finished. That fact was said many times, maybe after a while they forgot there were new people tuning in who didn't know that.
    Nirvana
  • how said:

Yes, yes, mainstream society is full of empathy for the poor and the oppressed.

• @music - I think you'd be surprised--when in certain circumstances--how people's empathy can be awakened. The problem isn't that most people aren't empathetic, but that it takes something directly fatal for some people to spring into action. And there are many others, even in more ordinary situations where it does manifest. I see it in the hospital every day where I work (I mean non-medical staff helping others). There are jerks too, of course, but it is hardly a black and white issue.

We all have the capacity for empathy, if those seeds are watered. If they aren't watered, should anyone be surprised? The point is for oneself to cultivate one's own empathy and, in doing so, cultivating it in others. The empathy threshold needs to be lowered--this is something that needs to be learned. What does sitting on the sidelines pointing fingers at all the jerks in the world accomplish?
    personJeffrey
  • @riverflow - people are naturally inclined to do evil. That is why it takes so much willpower to do good things and so little effort to do evil.
    edited April 2013
    person said:

The bombings happened about 2 hours after the elite runners finished. That fact was said many times, maybe after a while they forgot there were new people tuning in who didn't know that.

Many thanks, @person. "Maybe," though, is an understatement. Also, there are those who refuse to "tune in" or be "plugged into" all that media hype.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    music said:

@riverflow - people are naturally inclined to do evil. That is why it takes so much willpower to do good things and so little effort to do evil.

I don't find this to be the case, personally.

riverflow

music said:

@riverflow - people are naturally inclined to do evil. That is why it takes so much willpower to do good things and so little effort to do evil.

I don't find this to be the case, personally.

I agree. The vast majority of the people do the right (or at least acceptable) thing most of the time.

riverflow
    We are all people, no matter where we live, and yes, we should care about people dying in other countries by acts *we* commit on them. Is it automatic like it is when it's "our own people"? No. But one should strive to get to that point. That is what developing compassion for all beings is about. You don't just do it when things are easy and peaceful and good. You do it all the time for all people. These things are all related. If you cannot see that, then nothing I say can make you see that. Regardless of who we find out committed the bombings in Boston, chances are it still has something to do with the way America as a nation conducts itself on a global scale. Not well, I'm afraid. We should all be concerned about this. As Americans because this is what we are presenting to the world, and for those who are not Americans, because we seek to control so much of the world and insist on things being done our way out of greed.

@music if you feel it takes too much effort to do good and too little effort to do evil, I'm not sure we live on the same planet. Most people are good people. No one on the planet is perfect, some are better at being really good people than others. But most are good.

@Nirvana I don't know what news you have been watching but everything I watched and have read in the past 24 hours mentioned the timing of the race. I was looking at the race results online before this happened. The bombs went off about 4 hours and 15 minutes into the marathon, which is the more typical average time of the average joe runners. Elite runners finish around a 2:12 to 2:30 pace. A decent time for the average runner is around 4-5 hours. It seems the bombs were timed for heavy impact. Anyhow, this was talked about on every source I checked, and the results were being published as they came in until the chaos ensued. After that point, obviously, the race was called off. So I'm not really sure what you were looking for, the information has been there all along.

vinlynriverflowNirvana
    Haven't had time nor inclination to watch. Just been trying to make sense of it.
    Person here did help me out on this matter. That's really all I needed, as I think I said above. Down home we sometimes look at TV —we never watch it. (We watch our neighbors to see if they're behaving right.)
    @Nirvana my apologies for making assumptions or misunderstanding. When you said that despite your attempts to find out, you had not heard anything about the times of the race, I assumed you meant you had been reading and/or watching the news and had not seen anything mentioned.
  • There is no good without evil. The runners that went directly to the hospital to give blood after finishing the race demonstrate this.
    @Jason, I think in general we all are concerned with great injustices in the world. But naturally we deal more directly with situations that arise within our own nation.

As to people "jumping to blame Muslims", I would say more of the talk I heard on MSNBC and CNN has been about the probability of home-grown terrorists.

Yes, America is very American-centric. When I lived in Thailand I found Thais to be very Thai-centric. In visiting Malaysia I found the Malays to be very Malay-centric. The Indonesians to be very Java-centric.

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I predict it'll be some dysfunctional, anti-social white kid from the suburbs, who found it easier to make a bomb in his bedroom, rather than face his classmates with an AR-15.
  • If people are good by nature, why do we keep the doors locked? Why is there so much bullying, brutality, etc.?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Who has said that people are "good by nature "...?
    The Buddha certainly didn't.
    He said that people are good or bad according to their conditioning and actions.

If it is Buddha Nature that you refer to , then that is true at a level which most of us have no experience.
    riverflowperson
    edited April 2013
    music said:

If people are good by nature, why do we keep the doors locked? Why is there so much bullying, brutality, etc.?

The good still outnumber the bad.
    It's the few criminals who make the many honest people lock their doors.
    The few fanatics who commit the acts of terror upon the many reasonable folk.
    The few warmongers or profiteers who lead an otherwise good population to support an unjust war.
    MaryAnne
  • I miss seeing the honesty boxes on my street in Christchurch, New Zealand.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I think most reasonable people right now are just silently chanting "please don't let it have been a Muslim" because the bigots will use that as their excuse to go bonkers and exercise their hate. If it's a white person, well then it was just an isolated crazy. :rolleyes:
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited April 2013
    music said:

If people are good by nature, why do we keep the doors locked? Why is there so much bullying, brutality, etc.?

Apparently we are now less likely to die a violent death than at another point in known history.

personriverflow
    We lock our doors because we are afraid. You are not more likely to get robbed if you door is unlocked. Locked doors don't stop most people from breaking if it that is what they want to do. It just makes us feel better. We often don't lock our door. In fact in the summer we don't even close our patio door, we leave the screen door closed for bugs but leave the doors and all the windows open to keep air flowing.
    People bully because they are hurting inside and no one is listening. So they take it out on someone else.

There has been mention of both home grown and otherwise, in response to the Boston event, but there was a lot of mention the first day especially that turned out to be false reports of a Saudi under arrest, under guard and so on. They talked to him. That's all. I bet they talked to everyone else in the hospital, too, yet that wasn't news worthy. The police talking to a Saudi was, even though a HUGE proportion of bombings in the US have been the workings of Americans. Almost all of them, in fact. I looked it up yesterday. Out of 30 some bombing events since the early 80s, 25 of them were caused by Americans.

• yamadayamada Veteran
    I REALLY HATE THE PERSON WHO MAKE THIS POST >> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=362394013866873&set=a.137783276327949.22333.137347889704821&type=1&ref=nf

Many muslims hate America. If the america really crafty, why do you have to repay it with hatred as well? That's why I don't respect SOME(not all) stupid Muslims people. They do not actually practice the teachings of love. You make the situation worse. Highly inappropriate to make bad speculation on when others are suffering. I need a peaceful world. I hate it!!!!! sorry guys, but i really want to say F*ck you!!!!
    @yamada the situation is overall, more complex than you make it. No one ever deserves bad things to happen to them. But the hate that comes to the US is often caused by their poor policies and treatment of other people. One cannot expect to control the world for greed and profit and have the world bow before them in acceptance. Much of the time, we play a part in the things that come our way.
    I'm curious why you chose to post this in the Boston bombing thread, as there is no proof whatsoever that the bombing was done by a Muslim. There are lots and lots of false pictures being spread on FB, about the Boston event and about many other things. They are not exclusive to Muslims.

There are a lot of people who hate America. While I never condone hatred and violence, can one really blame people for how they feel about the US? We do some pretty horrible things in the name of greed, money and preserving ourselves at whatever cost to the rest of the world.
    riverflowTosh
  • music said:

The good still outnumber the bad.
    It's the few criminals who make the many honest people lock their doors.
    The few fanatics who commit the acts of terror upon the many reasonable folk.
    The few warmongers or profiteers who lead an otherwise good population to support an unjust war.
    Mainstream society encourages greed and cruelty, worships the rich and abuses the poor. In what way is it different from the so-called bad guys?
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Tosh said:

music said:

Apparently we are now less likely to die a violent death than at another point in known history.

Worth bumping imo.
    riverflow
  • Tosh said:

music said:

Hmm, we used to burn each other in the past, but these days we only shoot each other. Yes, progress indeed.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    You still seem intent on finding a problem for every solution @music..
    riverflowmusicInvincible_summer
  • Citta said:

I had a good teacher: The Buddha.
    edited April 2013
    Society isn't some out-there phenomenon. Each and every one of us is is what makes up society. You can't blame society without taking some of the blame. I know more people who care, and work against those things than I do people who strive for them (greed and such). Just because something happens, doesn't mean a majority of people support it. A lot of people don't support those ways of society, and aren't sure how to make a difference. People are working for positive change but the money held by the top couple percent of giant corporations make it hard to fight against. One of the #1 things people can do that makes a difference is vote with their dollar. But even people who do care, don't always have enough dollars to vote with. It's a hard place. But that doesn't mean no one cares. It doesn't mean everyone is buying into it. They are just working out ways to get out of it successfully. Instead of always complaining about what everyone else isn't doing, why don't you spend more time doing something positive? How do you contribute to the betterment of the world?

• music said:

I was thinking more like Emil Cioran....
  • music said:

Mainstream society encourages greed and cruelty, worships the rich and abuses the poor. In what way is it different from the so-called bad guys?

What about the folks who purposely work in jobs that allow them to help others? What about the people who are taking care of elderly relatives? What about all the people who volunteer time and money to charity? What about all the people who take the time to volunteer at school events? What about all the people who come together to help others during both manmade and natural disasters? What about all the people who are simply living their lives and caring for their families, who are not particularly wealthy or powerful and don't go around stealing, abusing, or murdering? (This would be most people everywhere, by the way).

If all you do is focus on the bad that gets done, then you are missing a much bigger chunk of humanity. In fact, if people where as terrible as you say, I'm not sure that human beings would've made it nearly this long since we get along in this world by cooperating and caring for others. There are cultural trends that can encourage bad decision making and behavior, but society itself (even what passes for mainstream) is not only not monolithic, but is subject to change. It is also not entirely defined by those on top.

I would also say that while it is easy to think and act from a place of ignorance (which admittedly can get people into trouble and no one is entirely immune from), it is not easy at all to perpetrate the sorts of devestating actions like what happened at the marathon, the mass shootings that have been in the news etc. Very very few people seek to cause that kind of pain and destruction.

karastiMaryAnne
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    music said:

Citta said:

Really ? Did he know ?