Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What movies are you watching?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@FleaMarket said:
    Was reminded of this show and might rewatch it in the future. Sort of a crime thriller comedy about reading people's microexpressions.

I really liked that show too, I was disappointed it got cancelled so soon. It set me on a brief path of learning about body language, I got a couple easy to read books on the topic. Its kind of amazing how much we communicate subconsciously through our body.

FleaMarket

I liked this documentary on Netflix. It tells the story of a couple free divers and builds to a suspenseful story. I have a bit of a fascination with the topic.

FleaMarket
  • @person said:
    I really liked that show too, I was disappointed it got cancelled so soon. It set me on a brief path of learning about body language, I got a couple easy to read books on the topic. Its kind of amazing how much we communicate subconsciously through our body.

It really is amazing. I remember watching it back when I was interested in biofeedback. And biofeedback was an interesting topic because of free divers I'd seen on a discovery channel show or something similar. They were talking about moderating their heart beat to use less oxygen. Haven't seen the Netflix doc though, thanks for the recommendation.

• IdleChaterIdleChater USA Veteran
    edited October 2023

I binged on the Netflix miniseries, PainKiller. It's about Oxycontin and Purdue Pharma.

5 stars

Sobering.

• Pretty Baby: The Brooke Shields Story.

Although I guess it qualifies more as a documentary.

Pretty disturbing stuff in some parts.

• Bodies (time travel murder mystery ) on Netflix

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

marcitko
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

This is coming out in cinemas here on the 26th of December. So looking forward to a new Studio Ghibli movie by Hayao Miyazaki!

• lobster

• IdleChaterIdleChater USA Veteran

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Quite an arty film. Not sure if it was worth my time but then I am not the only viewer
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13049968/

Preferred this ...

edited January 9

• Hope this is an interesting documentary about the Mayan Shamanic tradition in USA

• Hope this is an interesting documentary about the Mayan Shamanic tradition in USA

Shoshin1
  • I recently watched a Virtual Reality (VR) documentary in a VR dedicated cinema. You get a headset and headphones. The movie is shot in 360 degrees and wherever you move your head that's the part of the scene you see. It was VERY interesting. The technology is apparently still not perfect, since it was still a bit grainy.

I have my doubts about this technology. It will soon be so perfect that it will be difficult to distinguish between our reality and the VR one. I can already see people fleeing from their lives into this VR reality. Businesses will capitalize on this through the "Metaverse". Am I just old and sceptical of new technologies or being realistic?

lobster
  • You are being realistic. Augmented reality will come shortly after virtual, simulated AI realities ...

marcitko

Just finished the 5th season of the TV show Fargo. Its similar in tone to the Cohen brothers movie by the same name, small town people get caught up in large scale criminal violence with a handful of odd ballness thrown in. It might be my favorite of the 5 TV seasons, others have been good, so maybe its just recency?

Anyway the 5th season had a theme around debt and played on it in deep and moving ways at times. The final scene was really moving, showing how kindness and hospitality can overcome pain and isolation. I'd love to go into it more but it'd be spoilery.

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Veteran
    edited January 19

Alien Code (The Men) it's on YouTube...

Interesting mind trip look at living in the present moment...moment by moment...space time and dimension...Interdimensional beings.... Zenish

• Alien Code (The Men) it's on YouTube...

Worth watching, both strange, horrific, thought provoking and ultimately illuminating. We enjoyed it. But I preferred the total fantasy that is the musical 'Wonka'.

Shoshin1
  • rocalarocala Explorer
    edited January 24

I recently watched and enjoyed "The Martian". There is always something fascinating about a struggle to survive against the odds. I felt that many years ago, as a child, while watching the "Robinson Crusoe" TV series. That feeling has never really left me.
    Of course, Ridley Scott rarely disappoints.

edited January 24

I love the Martian, its one of my absolute favorites of more recent times, maybe of all time.

The author of the book its based on posted each chapter online as he was writing to receive feedback on the practical science involved in the story. Most of it is pretty true to reality, though the initial storm is fictionalized. In truth the Mars atmosphere is so thin that wind storms can't generate enough force to do what it did in the movie.

I'd also recommend the book by the same name. It goes into more detail and has additional challenges cut from the movie.

Jeroen

I agree, The Martian was an excellent film.

• rocalarocala Explorer

I watched "Pan's Labrynth" last night. Absolutely marvelous.

personJeroenDagobahZen
  • Do you like dogs, horror and a feral upbringing ...
    ... well I enjoyed it [I have no excuses]

• Hope to watch this soon …

Shoshin1Jeroen

Have been enjoying this in fifteen minute fragments from Netflix…

• Interesting Vice video ...

I'd always thought of The Netherlands as the Cannabis Capital of the world, but this was back in the 70s when visiting the legal cannabis cafes in Amsterdam...
    Thailand now seems to be the Cannabis Capital ....

How times have change...

Quite a few states in the US have legalised…

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

MAESTRO. Stunningly good. Bradley Cooper demonstrates himself a true Master of his art. If you thought he was good in 'A Star is Born', this will astound you.
    The film was wholeheartedly endorsed by Bernstein's 3 adult children.
    A Must-see, available on Netflix

lobster
    edited March 20

PLANT BASED NEWS
    Questions & Answers

Christspiracy: The Spirituality Secret is in UK cinemas from 20 March

IdleChater
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

There is a new film about the life of Scotsman Bob Marley

and a new Marvel film which got poor reviews but I watched and enjoyed

edited March 20

This really touched me… about Graham Hancocks work on ancient civilisations, myth and Hopi prophecy

• lobsterlobster Veteran

"Madame Web" was the Marvel film I could not remember the name of ...

DagobahZen
  • DagobahZenDagobahZen Veteran
    edited March 21

👍

• DagobahZenDagobahZen Veteran
    edited March 21

👍

Just started 3 Body Problem on Netflix and I'm instantly hooked, it hits all my buttons. Its a sciency-supernatural-mystery-thriller. A similar sort of genre to Dark if anyone is familiar with that one. On top of that the Chinese Cultural Revolution plays a part in the story, an intense part of history on the sort of scale of the holocaust but scarcely portrayed in popular media.

JeroenShoshin1DagobahZenIdleChater

Altered Hours Sci fi ...Mind Travel/Tripping ...

@person said:
    Just started 3 Body Problem on Netflix and I'm instantly hooked, it hits all my buttons. Its a sciency-supernatural-mystery-thriller. A similar sort of genre to Dark if anyone is familiar with that one. On top of that the Chinese Cultural Revolution plays a part in the story, an intense part of history on the sort of scale of the holocaust but scarcely portrayed in popular media.

Same here....it's interesting ..

DagobahZen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

May watch ... again ... (based on true FAQS) or the story of Bhutan Buddhism ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monk_and_the_Gun

@person said:

I’m watching it too… slowly in 20-minute segments…

DagobahZenIdleChater
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Dear movie buffs,

I am saving the second episode of the three Buddhas problem [sic] for watching with a sibling ...

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 24

enjoyed ... very funny

gonna have to watch his earlier film
    Lunana: A yak in the classroom

Shoshin1DagobahZen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 27

I am looking forward to a new film (based on a true story with Hilary Swank)
    "Ordinary Angels"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinary_Angels_(film)

Really enjoying 'The 3 Body Problem' It is 'Reality Based Science Fiction'

DagobahZenIdleChaterShoshin1
    edited March 29

Just watched this YouTube video ...It brought back memories...
    Alice Springs - Mparntwe (pronounced m'barn-twa)
    The Aboriginal Arrernte (pronounced arrunda) people are the traditional custodians of Alice Springs and the surrounding region.

What goes on down under, ...down under out of sight...

I was a teenager when I moved to Australia, I was fortunate in that I made friends with some Aboriginal teens as well as European Australians ... One friend in particular was a girl who was mixed race, she had been adopted by a white Australian couple back in the mid/late 1950s...Years later I heard about the Stolen Generation

Numerous 19th and early 20th century contemporaneous documents indicate that the policy of removing mixed-race Aboriginal children from their mothers related to an assumption that the Aboriginal peoples were dying off. Given their catastrophic population decline after white contact, whites assumed that the full-blood tribal Aboriginal population would be unable to sustain itself, and was doomed to extinction. The idea expressed by A. O. Neville, the Chief Protector of Aborigines for Western Australia, and others as late as 1930 was that mixed-race children could be trained to work in white society, and over generations would marry white and be assimilated into the society.

Some European Australians considered any proliferation of mixed-descent children (labelled "half-castes", "crossbreeds", "quadroons", and "octoroons", terms now considered derogatory to Indigenous Australians) to be a threat to the stability of the prevailing culture, or to a perceived racial or cultural "heritage". The Northern Territory Chief Protector of Aborigines, Dr. Cecil Cook, argued that "everything necessary [must be done] to convert the half-caste into a white citizen".

It's sad that many indigenous people around the world due to racism, discrimination & poverty have become second class citizens in their own countries, where drug taking and alcoholism -a form of escapism from their daily struggles, is a big problem...

Back in the late 1970s some of my Aboriginal friends were Aboriginal rights activists who lived in the Sydney suburb of Redfern (back then there was a large Aboriginal community living there-I think the area as changed a lot since then) ...

It's interesting when I think back to my travels around Europe back in the early 1970s...I met a lot of young Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians and Americans backpackers...All except one were of European descent, the one exception was a young Australian Aboriginal guy I met in a youth hostel in Hamburg...He told me that most people he met had met many Australians but had never met an Aboriginal person before...

"We do not own the land...The land owns us"

lobsterDagobahZen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Watched the Documentary "Going Clear" about Scientology. Fascinating.

Shoshin1DagobahZen
    edited April 9

It looks interesting...Thanks @lobster

Back in the early 70s my cousin and her partner were into Scientology...I was going through a drug related mind warp at the time, and they recommended I attend one of their sessions (just like the one at the beginning of the Going Clear video), they got me to hold the two devices while they asked me a series of questions...

Anyhow the first session was free, I only attended one session and that was enough... A fat lot of good it did me, look how I turned out ;);)...Sell crazy someplace else... We're all stocked up here

DagobahZenlobster