Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I decided to quit smoking.

pommesetorangespommesetoranges Explorer
edited November 2013 in Diet & Habits
Had a lot of stress at work recently and started smoking again. I can't run, sleep well and all of my healthy habits are going down the drain one by one, so it's time to for a change.

I therefore create this thread to make myself accountable in front of this great community.

Please send some positive energy in my direction, as this uncool habit is wreaking havoc on my body and the constant struggle creates a lot of suffering.

All the best.
seeker242JainarayanEvenThirdMaryAnneDobsanatamanVastmindStraight_ManNiesjeAllbuddhaBoundTheswingisyellowmatthewmartinDavidmisterCopeWoah93

Comments

• I want you to do more. How about a brisk walk on account?
    Metta to you. Bravo. :clap:
    pommesetoranges
  • Went for a brisk 4k run with my girlfriend just now and been complimenting my daily practice with quite a set of asanas for the last few days.

Exercise definitely helps and I get a lot of it on a regular basis, plus I'm (still) very fit and healthy.

It's all good when I'm not stressed, but there are times when I'm under some extreme pressure. That's when my mind starts playing tricks on me and I surrender to the craving.

Some time ago I started a new job and it is demanding beneath my expectations. I had to make a whole bunch of lifestyle adjustments just to keep myself from getting fired. It can get very hard. Hard like working for 48 hours straight after 4 hour sleep just to get things done. I need this job though and I know life will get easier, as soon as I learn this stuff better.

Lately, it's been getting ridiculously irrational really, I buy a pack twice a day, smoke one cigarette and throw out the rest. Regularly. Today in the afternoon, I was going through a neighborhood dumpster in the search of the pack I threw away in the morning. The worst part is that I'm constantly aware of the suffering I'm about to bring about, you see, smoking is rarely pleasurable, breathing gets harder, I cough up a lot of nasty stuff and don't even enjoy the effects nicotine has on my body anymore.

I notice the way my body reacts to stress, I can recognize the craving, I see the suffering coming, I know that the whole activity isn't going to be satisfying but even though I'm totally aware of all these things I somehow go and buy another pack. Why?
  • lobster said:

Metta to you. Bravo. :clap:

Indeed!

It's not easy to quit smoking, you really have to make up your mind to do it. Jan. 1 will be 19 years for me. I decided it was time.
    pommesetoranges
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Next time if you engage, leave some. Works with drinking and a smoking and everything. If you leave a little bit every time (not indulge mindlessly in the whole drink, smoke, etc) you can easily drop the habit bit by bit.

Chip away at it my friend. Happy to read that your physical yoga is going strong. Verbal yoga and mental yoga ! woo!

You can use your power of imagination to reduce reflexive attachment to it as well. Just imagine you are buying searing thorns or lashings of a spiked whip. Fight craving with skill
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited November 2013
    Confession time. :o

I quit smoking more than 13 yrs ago; January 28th, 2000. Cold Turkey, done, over.
    But for some reason...about 4 months ago, I started snitching a puff now and then from my sister-in-law whenever we were hanging out together; at the pool or shopping, etc. (She smokes menthol cigs, and I've never ever smoked anything but menthol cigs. Even at the height of my cigarette addiction, I'd go without any, rather than smoke a regular non-menthol).

Well, yeah, it started with a puff here and there - maybe once every week or two.
    Then she started offering me a whole cig for myself. Most of the time, I'd wave her off and say "Naah." Then I started taking it. One cig every 10 -14 days...big deal, right?

Well about 2 weeks ago, on a whim, I bought my own PACK!! :eek: My husband has been helping himself (without me knowing until yesterday) and and I only had two cigs left when I looked yesterday. I probably smoked about 6 or 7 out of the whole pack over two weeks time. Not bad, really....but so not good either. :(

But I do enjoy it so!! I've always liked smoking...
    I have one left, I'm going to smoke it now- and I hope to not smoke anymore, ever again. *sigh*

Wish me luck!
    LoveWins
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Best of luck MaryAnne
    There are so many different ways of not fully facing dukka.
    I currently think that an addiction as really anything that limits that acceptance.
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Well done! Now look at the craving/aversion that will beset you as a lesson on your personal addiction traits- if you have failed it is because of conditioning - use it as a concentration point " I want (crave/lust after/desire) a cigarette with my coffee

1. I give in I am going to have one - craving satisfied - you are happy right?
    2. I choose not have one - There is self control happening here! I see it now…
    3. I have had enough . I hate myself and my addiction - I just want to get rid of it - give me a cigarette to get over it…

It is just a state of mind.

Mettha
    Yorkshireman
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited November 2013
    I smoked cigs for 18 years. It took me 6 years and about 8 tries to quit.
    The only thing that worked was cold turkey. It's been about 5 years now...
    and I still avoid being around smokers. I'm too weak around the smell.
    It smells like fresh baked bread....or cookies...and chocolate cake
    to me. My senses go nuts....hahaha.

Good luck @MaryAnne!
    Try to let the craving ride out.... :)
    bookwormpommesetorangesjae
  • Vastmind said:

I smoked cigs for 18 years. It took me 6 years and about 8 tries to quit.
    The only thing that worked was cold turkey. It's been about 5 years now...
    and I still avoid being around smokers. I'm too weak around the smell.
    It smells like fresh baked bread....or cookies...and chocolate cake
    to me. My senses go nuts....hahaha.

Good luck @MaryAnne!
    Try to let the craving ride out.... :)

Good going!
    People who want to quit should try to remember that it smells horrible to a non smoker. The smell of stale tobacco on someone is as bad as body odor or urine, to me anyway.
    Why would someone who cares about their appearance want to smell like that?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    robot said:

People who want to quit should try to remember that it smells horrible to a non smoker. The smell of stale tobacco on someone is as bad as body odor or urine, to me anyway.
    Why would someone who cares about their appearance want to smell like that?

I agree. It's repulsive. But more importantly, there are few things you can do to your health that are more dangerous. Just think of those radiation and chemo treatments! And coughing up your lungs with emphysema.

Mary Anne...knock it off. I don't want to end up saying, "I really miss Mary Anne".

• For some reasons smokers seem to be able to ignore the health risks even with the most graphic reminders on the packaging.
    Maybe appealing to their vanity can help. It's pretty gross.
    vinlynVastmind
  • Thank you @vinlyn and all for the kind words of encouragement. I could say more to explain my personal smoking habit, (why I think I started again, yadda yadda yadda...) but it's not my thread, and I don't want to hijack it.

But thanks! :)

@pommesetoranges : Stress is the worst when it comes to staying off the cigs. I hope you can win the battle against -- *AND* lower the stress in your life.
    Be happy, be healthy, be Buddha! ;-)
  • + + + + energy and some advice. Make the decision and don't change your mind. That includes not planning ahead to violate your decision under some circumstances. Just make the decision and don't change your mind. Best
  • jaejae Veteran
    @pommesetoranges... hello, I smoke like a trooper.. on a long list of things I need to address... good luck, if you've done it before you'll do it again.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Metta right at you!! Your long term happiness and health will be what you inherit for the pain and work you put in now.
  • Had a lot of stress at work recently and started smoking again. I can't run, sleep well and all of my healthy habits are going down the drain one by one, so it's time to for a change.

I therefore create this thread to make myself accountable in front of this great community.

Please send some positive energy in my direction, as this uncool habit is wreaking havoc on my body and the constant struggle creates a lot of suffering.

All the best.

I know a lot of good people who smoke. But some smoke not because of stress or what. They just get addicted to the nicotine. Some other people who do not smoke must have their daily cup of coffee. Maybe, you'll get your daily dose of caffeine from coffee some day.
    pommesetoranges
  • Also planning to quit smoking, but want to do it with a plan as impulsive decisions to just go cold turkey has pretty much backfired on me multiple times :( What worked best for some of you? Picking an absolute date to quit and then grit your teeth and go from a pack a day to zero? I'm kind of on the fence between that, a taper or replacing it with the E-cig and then taper with that (my mom quit like this after 30 years of smoking and it was the only thing that worked)
  • Good luck. Remember, excitement and adrenaline can really cut down on cravings. I know it seems weird, but it works. So if you start to get a craving, go and do something fun.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Woah93 said:

Also planning to quit ...What worked best for some of you?

I can only speak to habit extinction in general... I'm addicted to internet news checking, cheetoes, cookies...

What helps me is to identify the trigger. Then eliminate the trigger. The trigger for cheetoes is having coins in my pocket and walking past a vending machine. If I change my path or leave the coins at home, the trigger doesn't happen, the power of Cheetoes wanes.

From the sounds of it, kicking cigs takes a multi strategy approach, not all approaches work for everyone in all situations.

anataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Update required @pommestooranges.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I'm on day 11 of a Champix cycle and down to 4 a day. 11 days ago I was smoking 20 a day. Day 15 is my target quit date and I keep taking the meds for 2 weeks after that.

Been smoking for 26 years, chest is starting to hurt and I have a new daughter.

So many say you gotta do it for yourself and nobody else but that never worked for me so well. I do think we benefit more if we do it for others.

I guess it's only a paradox if myself and others are not aspects of the same thing.
    lobsteranatamanJeffrey
  • Been smoking for 26 years, chest is starting to hurt and I have a new daughter.
    I will do mantra for you and other inspired nicotine fighting dharma warriors.
    - mostly Medicine Buddha . . .

Bravo.
    Inspiring.

Live long and prosper
    http://www.wildmind.org/mantras/figures/bhaishajyaguru-medicine-buddha-mantra
    David
  • i just quit. only reason i need is the love of myself. and i did quit before even becoming a buddhist.
    lobsterWoah93
  • One thing I realized about smoking is it becomes a part of your character. Imagining yourself as a person who doesn't smoke will definitely help. That and chewing gum whenever you get the urge so you can have something to ease the tension. E-ciggarettes may also help.

Having a daily journal and someone who can hold you accountable is almost a must because the motivation comes and goes, it's the habit that keeps you going and if you don't have the discipline to keep going when you are no longer motivated then that is where an outside power like someone holding you accountable can show it's value.
    Woah93
  • It is easy to quit smoking. I've done it many times.
    howBunks
  • Try those e-cigarettes, For many people they do work to cut down and eventually quit.
    From what I see, one e-cig has far less nicotine than a pack of cigs; and that's about how long they last (puff-count).
    That is an improvement, you must admit.

There is no smell to trigger others, (or annoy others), no ashes to dispose of, no harmful smoke to irritate throat or lungs, and you can smoke them nearly anywhere when the craving hits hard.
    I know several people who used e-cigs for a few weeks to a few months, but are now off smoking cigs and e-cigs completely!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2014
    I smoke pipes and used to smoke every hour. I have cut to every two hours. I tried to go cold turkey but failed. So I am resetting my body clock and from there I will continue to work towards the goal of an occasional smoker (3/week).

Quitting has been great for my meditation practice. For example it is an hour till my next smoke so I am going to meditate for an hour. It's like a mini-retreat, kinda like a personal pan pizza.
  • One thing I realized about smoking is it becomes a part of your character. Imagining yourself as a person who doesn't smoke will definitely help. That and chewing gum whenever you get the urge so you can have something to ease the tension. E-ciggarettes may also help.

Having a daily journal and someone who can hold you accountable is almost a must because the motivation comes and goes, it's the habit that keeps you going and if you don't have the discipline to keep going when you are no longer motivated then that is where an outside power like someone holding you accountable can show it's value.

This excactly, it really became a part of my "character" how I see it which makes it so hard to quit. Even only after the 3rd or 4th hour of quitting I'll be walking outside, listening to music or having a cup of coffee, it doesn't really matter, daily life is full of triggers for me so it's pretty much a constant struggle. That nagging voice that tries to convince me to just "have one" is always there too.
  • Win the battle daily