Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Questions about Buddhism from the eyes of a skeptic

marcham93marcham93 New
edited January 2014 in Faith & Religion
Hello everyone. I want to cut to the point and ask my questions, but here is a bit of background info on myself: I grew up in a catholic home and after years of struggling with the "truth", I labelled myself as atheist. Essentially I felt there was no proof for anything supernatural and I would rather follow the evidence put forth by science. Fast forward to today and I, after time and thought, would consider myself more agnostic because I believe theism and atheism are simply too black and white for such a grey question that we know too little about.

While my interest in religion and deities died long ago, I developed a passion for science and philosophy. I enjoyed listening to a few lectures by Allan Watts and decided to look into Buddhism as there was no claim for deities or anything that seemed supernatural, simply a direction for living our lives.

So here are my questions. Does Buddhism contain any "supernatural" content? I am aware that there are no deities, but in reading about Buddha himself, I had heard he saw a vision with the Gods. I'm just a bit confused on where Buddhism sits with this regard.

For example, I find something like "rebirth" hard to grasp, as there is no 100% scientific proof of it. I do understand the concept that we are born from the universe and thus when we die our energy is released and can be reused again, but I think Buddhism is aiming at something a bit more literal, correct?

Summary: Is Buddhism a way of life or are there also supernatural claims? Is there a branch of Buddhism that focuses solely on the philosophy, while not taking into consideration ideas that may be considered supernatural?

Thanks and I hope my questions is semi-clear. :)

-Mike
matthewmartinanataman

Comments

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran
    marcham93 said:

So here are my questions. Does Buddhism contain any "supernatural" content?

I'm not sure how you define "supernatural", but I think it's safe to say, yes, Buddhism contains elements most "skeptics" would view as "supernatural".

Sorry.
    I am aware that there are no deities, but in reading about Buddha himself, I had heard he saw a vision with the Gods. I'm just a bit confused on where Buddhism sits with this regard.
    Buddhism has "deities".

Sorry.
    For example, I find something like "rebirth" hard to grasp, as there is no 100% scientific proof of it.
    There's no 100% scientific proof for or against.

I do understand the concept that we are born from the universe and thus when we die our energy is released and can be reused again, but I think Buddhism is aiming at something a bit more literal, correct?
    Yes, most mainstream Buddhist teachings endorse "literal" rebirth.

Sorry.
    Summary: Is Buddhism a way of life ....
    Stop right there.

It's pointless to pusue Buddhismn. You don't have a sufficiently open heart for it. You certainly can pick and choose what you want from Buddhism, but there's a point at which it simply isn't Buddhism any more - it's just "Buddhist" but then there's already a lot of that out there already.

howInvincible_summercvalue
  • person said:

It may interest you that there is a secular Buddhism that has developed in the west, that just focuses on the practical, provable aspects of the teachings.

http://secularbuddhism.org/

Oh, very interesting! Thank you for sharing!

I actually found a book on Amazon, "Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist", that I might pickup.
    matthewmartinDakini
    person said:

Is Buddhism a way of life or are there also supernatural claims?

Both. The core of Buddhism is about a way of life and understanding that leads to a better well being. The metaphysics and cosmology of Buddhism do contain many supernatural aspects. There is no requirement to believe in any of them or have blind faith in them in order to get your Buddhist card and decoder pin, but they are certainly there.

It may interest you that there is a secular Buddhism that has developed in the west, that just focuses on the practical, provable aspects of the teachings.

Yes, that's so, but then, what is actually and truely provable?

At some point you must, inevitably, take it on faith.
    Invincible_summercvalue
  • Thanks and I hope my questions are semi-clear. :)
    A lot clearer than the possible answers. :)

Many Christian priests are atheists. :eek:
    Strange but true.

In a similar way we start Buddhism from where we are and use its practical tools to explore suffering or stress and its alleviation.

Everything else is smoke and mirrors of the stressed out, indulgences of the ignorant and general purpose pragmatism, social integration, stories for children and ex Hindus or integration with prevailing cultures.

The core of Buddhism is what you do with it and what it can do for you. As such it is limitless but limited by those monkey minded trouble makers aka people.

Now you will have to excuse me as I am off to Buddha Heaven to tell the future Buddha he does not exist . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tushita

;)
    Invincible_summercvalue
  • OK Buddha Metta Ray says you could always be a Buddhist agnostic . . .
    http://www.stephenbatchelor.org/index.php/en/rebirth-a-case-for-buddhist-agnosticism
    marcham93
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @marcham93: I like that you asked the question that you did. Take a serious look at secular Buddhism, but don't ignore the beauty of Theravada.
    marcham93Invincible_summerBhikkhuJayasara
  • Thank you everyone! I will check out more on Secular Buddhism as that seems down my alley. Glad you guys commented, Chaz was going to have me drop interest completely (no offense to Chaz).

I just love the philosophy behind Buddhism.

Thanks!
  • Hey Marcham, I think we're both in the same boat. I'm a skeptic and non-believer in all things supernatural. Traditional Buddhism has a lot of silliness and trappings like any religion, but beneath that is a rich and contemplative pursuit of understanding how the mind works. Zen Buddhism seems the path most in line with my thinking. I will also be checking out that secular buddhism site.
    lobster
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Just my .02...

Try and drop your hang-ups about deities or superstitions and rebirth. Although rebirth does play a fairly major role in Buddhism, it's not (IMO) necessary to subscribe to it (at least not at first) in order to begin to practice Buddhism and learn what it's really about.

I would say start with the basics, meditate a bit, and build that fundamental core. Then re-evaluate if what you feel about "superstitions" and "deities" really matters.

It's not like once you say you want to practice Buddhism, you're in it for life. Stop trying to rationalize what are essentially accessories in a religious practice - something which is not 100% rational anyway. Just practice and then see what you think. Maybe you'll find that the existence or non-existence of superstition or deities doesn't really matter to your practice anyway.
    howjaeDharmaMcBumVastmind
  • Buddha certainly taught about reincarnation.
    He also taught about gods or devas and ghosts/peta and
    the hell realm.

sorry to disappoint you.
    marcham93 said:

Hello everyone. I want to cut to the point and ask my questions, but here is a bit of background info on myself: I grew up in a catholic home and after years of struggling with the "truth", I labelled myself as atheist. Essentially I felt there was no proof for anything supernatural and I would rather follow the evidence put forth by science. Fast forward to today and I, after time and thought, would consider myself more agnostic because I believe theism and atheism are simply too black and white for such a grey question that we know too little about.

While my interest in religion and deities died long ago, I developed a passion for science and philosophy. I enjoyed listening to a few lectures by Allan Watts and decided to look into Buddhism as there was no claim for deities or anything that seemed supernatural, simply a direction for living our lives.

So here are my questions. Does Buddhism contain any "supernatural" content? I am aware that there are no deities, but in reading about Buddha himself, I had heard he saw a vision with the Gods. I'm just a bit confused on where Buddhism sits with this regard.

For example, I find something like "rebirth" hard to grasp, as there is no 100% scientific proof of it. I do understand the concept that we are born from the universe and thus when we die our energy is released and can be reused again, but I think Buddhism is aiming at something a bit more literal, correct?

Summary: Is Buddhism a way of life or are there also supernatural claims? Is there a branch of Buddhism that focuses solely on the philosophy, while not taking into consideration ideas that may be considered supernatural?

-Mike

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    marcham93 said:

Is there a branch of Buddhism that focuses solely on the philosophy, while not taking into consideration ideas that may be considered supernatural?

Secular Buddhism might be of interest as it has a non-religious approach.
  • cvaluecvalue Veteran
    edited January 2014
    @marcham93, welcome to Buddhism. Buddhist philosophy will make your thinking more profound, Buddhist meditation will lower your stress level, Buddhist prostration is an excellent excercise, Buddhist "supernatural" will help you understand Indian, Tibetan and Chinese cultures better and will supply you with rich material for your imagination and conversations. What do you have to lose? Just relax and enjoy all aspects of it.
    howmaartenCinorjerYorkshireman
  • Some things that you know are not true can be helpful. For example while training in mindfulness you could imagine that there is a sword that will chop your head off immediately each time you are not mindful. It's not really true but the effect on us is good. It takes some relaxation and imagination. Similarly even if rebirth is not true it can at least lead us beyond birth and death. Read the diamond sutra if you want to see a teaching beyond birth and death.
    matthewmartinToshanatamanInvincible_summer
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited January 2014
    Chaz said:

person said:

Is Buddhism a way of life or are there also supernatural claims?

Both. The core of Buddhism is about a way of life and understanding that leads to a better well being. The metaphysics and cosmology of Buddhism do contain many supernatural aspects. There is no requirement to believe in any of them or have blind faith in them in order to get your Buddhist card and decoder pin, but they are certainly there.

Yes, that's so, but then, what is actually and truely provable?

At some point you must, inevitably, take it on faith.
    I disagree - it's all verifiable and not about faith @Chaz. Buddha invited people to try it and make up their own minds, he didn't say have faith in me - that's christianity FFS

Here's someone trying to make sense of the world and you are turning him off and away because of ill-conceived ideas.
    lobster
    Welcome @marcham93
    don't expect everyone here to disagree
    rather see them as humans
    just like you and me
    Buddhism has everything you want from a religion, except that it has one goal only, and has a path

4NT
    8FP
  • Remember the 8FP is an advanced teaching Buddha only introduced to people who had practiced 10 to 20 years as aesthetics. Until the noble aryan view is developed it is just 8 good ideas.

None the less it IS a good example of 8 helpful areas of attention.
    anataman said:

I disagree - it's all verifiable and not about faith @Chaz. Buddha invited people to try it and make up their own minds, he didn't say have faith in me - that's christianity FFS

"Faith" has different shades of meaning and is not a dirty word. Faith is important in Buddism, but it has the meaning of "confidence", not blind belief like in some religions.
    lobsterKundo

anataman said:

"Faith" has different shades of meaning and is not a dirty word. Faith is important in Buddism, but it has the meaning of "confidence", not blind belief like in some religions.
    Thank you @Spinynorman I was referring to 'blind belief'

I have faith in buddhism, because I have verified it.
  • Nek777Nek777 Explorer
    marcham93 said:

Well, I am not so sure science works on a 100% principle ... There is the idea that you can never definitely prove a theory correct, though you can definitely prove a theory wrong.

You can take the approach that most it's metaphorical. As in the Bardo teachings, if you prefer to think of the different realms as psychological states or ways of dealing with life, that's fine ....

As for the lack of evidence for rebirth, well its up to you. Perhaps that is somewhat metaphorical too. Maybe not NPR - Searching for Science Behind Reincarnation. Maybe both, maybe neither....

Anyhow ... Could be that our best science is now saying nothing exists, go figure Structural Realism :scratch: :scratch:
  • Hamsaka said:

Me too @Marcham93, me too! Only I'm fine with the supernatural EXCEPT I've not had any direct experiences that were supposedly supernatural. What's a person to do with that? I've never seen a ghost, felt a ghost, witnessed a miracle, heard the voice of God, or had any success whatsoever believing a guy who died 2000 years ago died for me (whatever that means). Either I'm missing a nub in the brain that enables perception of the supernatural or it is all a bunch of crap. Since the only thing I can be sure of at all is that I don't relate to it or experience it, I began my practice centered around Secular Buddhism.

Meditation, however one practices it (and there are hundred of ways) has become the core of my practice. I don't have a single Buddha whatsit in my house but I did start lighting a candle for meditation about a month ago and find that very very helpful :)

The core teachings of this guy Siddhartha Gautama (no one is sure of anything but his surname) were the fact of suffering and it's cessation. I try to stick to that, first. I meditate using techniques described by the Buddha (as translated and unpacked by various people) and am having direct, personal experiences that line up with the cessation of suffering which is the whole point. I may have even had supernatural experiences but I'm not sure if I'd know them if I saw them, but my mind is open. Whether I believe in them or not is really, really irrelevant. It's working. The Buddha was onto something. Most comforting, to me, is he encouraged us to prove it to ourselves (within reason).

Human beings proliferate 'religion' around great and mysterious truths. I see the religious trappings of the major 'vehicles' as frills and furbelows that accumulate as the Dharma moves through cultures and times. At first I considered them useless and distractions from 'the real teachings'. Now I have a lot more respect for things I know nothing about :D As a religion, Buddhism is beautiful, grand and profound. I just don't have whatever it is that uses religion or gets much out of it.

Explore! You'll hear everything from 'forget commandments and rules' to 'you'll be reborn as a house fly if you kill one'. Just explore, listen, take it in and RELAX. If you 'do it wrong' you'll know soon enough if your intention is sincere. All the action is inside YOU, that's where everything is happening, and you have plenty of room to figure it out as you go. Millions would deeply disagree with me and they are as sincere as I am. We're out to end suffering here, just keep that in mind, and if you are reasonable and sincere, the rest will follow.

Gassho :)

Thank you very much for that excellent reply - very relatable!

I thank everyone for responding and after doing a bit of "searching" the past few days I personally have stumbled upon Secular Humanism and I really am identifying with it. The nice aspect of Humanism is that it reflects upon the positive moral teachings of others (such as Buddha) without concern for circumstances surrounding the teachings.

So I think that will be it for me.. secular humanism, but I will read more into Buddha's teachings because I do feel a bit of a connection with the ideas.

Thanks! :)
    Jeffreyjaelobsteranataman
    marcham93 said:

Hamsaka said:

Me too @Marcham93, me too! Only I'm fine with the supernatural EXCEPT I've not had any direct experiences that were supposedly supernatural. What's a person to do with that? I've never seen a ghost, felt a ghost, witnessed a miracle, heard the voice of God, or had any success whatsoever believing a guy who died 2000 years ago died for me (whatever that means). Either I'm missing a nub in the brain that enables perception of the supernatural or it is all a bunch of crap. Since the only thing I can be sure of at all is that I don't relate to it or experience it, I began my practice centered around Secular Buddhism.

Meditation, however one practices it (and there are hundred of ways) has become the core of my practice. I don't have a single Buddha whatsit in my house but I did start lighting a candle for meditation about a month ago and find that very very helpful :)

The core teachings of this guy Siddhartha Gautama (no one is sure of anything but his surname) were the fact of suffering and it's cessation. I try to stick to that, first. I meditate using techniques described by the Buddha (as translated and unpacked by various people) and am having direct, personal experiences that line up with the cessation of suffering which is the whole point. I may have even had supernatural experiences but I'm not sure if I'd know them if I saw them, but my mind is open. Whether I believe in them or not is really, really irrelevant. It's working. The Buddha was onto something. Most comforting, to me, is he encouraged us to prove it to ourselves (within reason).

Human beings proliferate 'religion' around great and mysterious truths. I see the religious trappings of the major 'vehicles' as frills and furbelows that accumulate as the Dharma moves through cultures and times. At first I considered them useless and distractions from 'the real teachings'. Now I have a lot more respect for things I know nothing about :D As a religion, Buddhism is beautiful, grand and profound. I just don't have whatever it is that uses religion or gets much out of it.

Explore! You'll hear everything from 'forget commandments and rules' to 'you'll be reborn as a house fly if you kill one'. Just explore, listen, take it in and RELAX. If you 'do it wrong' you'll know soon enough if your intention is sincere. All the action is inside YOU, that's where everything is happening, and you have plenty of room to figure it out as you go. Millions would deeply disagree with me and they are as sincere as I am. We're out to end suffering here, just keep that in mind, and if you are reasonable and sincere, the rest will follow.

Gassho :)

Thank you very much for that excellent reply - very relatable!

I thank everyone for responding and after doing a bit of "searching" the past few days I personally have stumbled upon Secular Humanism and I really am identifying with it. The nice aspect of Humanism is that it reflects upon the positive moral teachings of others (such as Buddha) without concern for circumstances surrounding the teachings.

So I think that will be it for me.. secular humanism, but I will read more into Buddha's teachings because I do feel a bit of a connection with the ideas.

Thanks! :)
    Then that's what you need to do. Work with that connection and if it proves to be a dead end, then move on.

In addition, if there's things you find interesting about Buddhism, then add it in. Meditation might be a good thing and there are places where you can learn to do it properly where the religious/Buddhist aspects of the practice are kept to a minimum.

If you're skeptical, then move on. No sense getting into something where you have to fight with yourself over whether or not there's a right or wrong to it. Life's too short. You'll either believe in it or you won't. You won't be able to "make" yourself believe anything. Better to go with your gut.

JeffreyVastmindInvincible_summer
  • LiiLii Explorer
    Marcham, I would not say to move on. Even if you are unable to believe in the supernatural there is much to benefit from studying Buddhism. The changes you make in yourself will also benefit others. It is a win win. When you study and meditate you may even begin to experience blessings and other signs that cannot be totally explained.
    anatamancvalue
  • Oh, I absolutely love you folks! Like an orchestra, you each have your own voice and understanding, and together we make up a complete harmony of what passes for Buddhist practice today. If only this ability to disagree yet still work toward a common goal came naturally to people.
    anatamanjaesova
    edited January 2014
    Cinorjer said:

Oh, I absolutely love you folks! Like an orchestra, you each have your own voice and understanding, and together we make up a complete harmony of what passes for Buddhist practice today. If only this ability to disagree yet still work toward a common goal came naturally to people.

DO I sound like a trumpet, violin or a triangle @Cinorjer, I can't read the music, nor see what instrument I am playing, nor hear myself in this din? :wave:
    Cinorjersova
  • Fascinating. That's the first time I've seen that quote from the Buddha. A kind of Ancient Paschal's Wager, but better
  • anandoanando Explorer
    Hi
    to myself. I studied and practiced buddhist teachings for about 40 years now. I was a born and raised roman katholic and i knew that there is something wrong. I discussed with priests and we couldn´t agree in any case. Nowbody could convince me that there is a beyond, aheaven. It´s just not possible to prove this empiricly.
    By going deeper and deeper into Pali-Canon i realized i realized that they suppose the same as the r-k do. But there is a difference Gotamo Buddho accepts the theses that the beyond can not be proofen by scientific means. He say something very beatiful
    about that:"If ther is no beyond and you lived the rules you harmed other iving beings less. But if there is a beyond you have won twice. You didn´t harm other living beings and you could enter the brahamic planes. Yöu can win going deep into buddhist livelyhood. I dont´t knoe if the Chan-buddhists have any kind of deitis but i know that the Theravada people don´t believe in beyond and deitis.They have their materialistic point of view and their last step is nibbanam.
    In PaliCanon, especially in the Dighanikayo, there is a saying about the four gods of the world and the council of the 33 gods. But the greatest of all of them is Brahma.
    The first time, Gotamo Buddho had contact with Brahma, was the point when he was thinking that the knowledge he aquired should not be spread to people, because they
    wouldn´t understand it. Then Brahma came to him and asked to tell others because there might be some people, being able to understand, and they would be worth it.
    There is supernatural content and they are calle the seven mighty, magic powerplanes:
    Bilocation, walking on water, seeing other peoples former life as well the own one.
    You can travel wherever you want to, in a spiritual way.
    I fone doesn´t know the circumstances of buddhist Genesis, one might also not understand reincarnation. Pali-Canon says that at the cosmis events of worls clashing together, lightbeings escaped from there and left for earth, ate the sweet sea food and accumulated more and more matter. So they became the suffering humans, because the matter they were now was steadily changig and causing suffering.
    So we are the aliens.
    Because of this suffering Gotamo Buddho found a way out of it. The Eightfold Path.
    Doing this 8fold path intensely you can enter the lower brahmaic planes. Brahma is
    lot´s of categories bigger than the humans but he was a lightbeing to, but didn´t accumulate this materia. But humans and Brahma are similar.
    I could have waited if there would be found any scientific proof of thes thesis.
    But Gotamo Buddho had a quite scientific method. He said that, you go into the meditation and come out the same as you were before. All thes mediations are only
    exercises und nonideological, not explaning the worlds of matter.
    Gotamo Buddho was quite liberal, to nearly every thesis, there is a exception being made: You shouldn´t have sex any more but if you can´t hold it back any more, better don´t do it with a married woman.
    Buddhist teaching is no way of life, it´s the way out of all Life-circles.
    The only one not believing into supernatural events are the Theravadas.
    At least: The teaching of Gotamo Buddho has proven to be right by millions of people, so also for myself. I went the path to where there are no ways any more.

anando
    JeffreymatthewmartinCinorjersova

Fascinating. That's the first time I've seen that quote from the Buddha. A kind of Ancient Paschal's Wager, but better

It suggests there were also quite a lot of skeptics in the Buddha's time.

;)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Namaste,

You can follow the 4 Noble Truths and Eightfold Noble Path and not be a Buddhist. I suggest @marcham93 does this until he/she can resolve his/her issues with Buddhist teachings.

In metta,
    Raven
    vinlynrobotHamsaka
  • marcham93 said:

-Mike

Buddhism has been around for so long; so, in Asia especially, you would find Buddhists who believe in superstitions and deities and Buddhism have entertwined with local beliefs. Some people consider Buddhism just a philosophy but whatever it is, personally, I think the core of the teaching is all that matters, especially the Five Precepts, the Four Noble Truth and Eight Fold Path. Maybe, it would suffice if you read Buddhist Literature with an open mind and sieve it, picking up what matters to you and dropping what doesn't. There shouldn't be any strings attached, should there? And then, why should you eat the whole cake when part of it has gone bad. Just cut the good part out and help yourself.
    Bunks
  • "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." You can't get hung up in gods, reincarnations, koans, karmas, schools, and sanghas. Buddhism is what you think it is. Everything else (including this snarky comment) is bullshit.
    CinorjerKundoanataman
  • justshea said:

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." You can't get hung up in gods, reincarnations, koans, karmas, schools, and sanghas. Buddhism is what you think it is. Everything else (including this snarky comment) is bullshit.

Buddhism isn't always what people think it is. It's possible to think that it's something that it isn't.
    For example, some people think that Buddhists worship Buddha as a deity.
  • robot said:

I think many people and cultures do.

:wow:
    robot said:

Buddhism isn't always what people think it is. It's possible to think that it's something that it isn't.

And some pretty much do.

• vinlyn said:

robot said:

And some pretty much do.

Pretty much, but I like to think they are taught that Buddha was a man and a teacher, whether it's historically true or not, and not a god.
    Which is what some might assume if they didn't look a little deeper into it.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2014
    The teaching is that Shakyamuni was a figure who most people only see Nirmanakaya Buddha. There are 2 other bodies: dharmakaya and Samboghakaya. And even a forth that shows the union of all three.

Dharmakaya is when we don't know. And we are open minded because no sense has been made. Nirmanakaya is when we see some kind of sense some kind of clarity where we can make sense of the situation. Samboghakaya is some kind of creativity to bridge Dharmakaya and Nirmanakaya. We need a link between the uncertainty of dharmakaya and the clarity of nirmanakaya. Svahbavikakaya (4th kaya) is understanding the whole thing, total panoramic experience.

these four are always going on in our minds. We can take it as a mind protection to notice these four features as the nature of confusion.

~from Trungpa Rinpoche, cobbled together by me, on the lojong teachings.
    Chazanataman
    lobster said:

robot said:

I think many people and cultures do.

:wow:
    I haven't seen this in western Buddhism.
  • LiiLii Explorer
    This is an interesting question regarding a deity. It is a yes and no answer. Enlightened beings are outside of the realm of human suffering and are therefore I think supernatural. Worship? It may look like worship because there is prostration to their images, but I think worship is not the right word for it. In Christianity there is worship of Jesus. In Islam it appears that there is worship of Mohammed and in some sects Ali, but what appears to be is denied in the religion. I think that Buddhists (worship) hold in highest respect, true Wisdom.
    anataman
  • Hello,
    in buddhst teaching there a lot of superatural occasions mentioned. At first there is
    a here and a beyound and a reward for good an one for bad deeds, this is concerning Karma. After habing changed your consciousness, there are two more instances you can go to: Maro Dusi and Brahma. There are also the seven magic powers.
    Living is suffering and the meaning of buddhism ist, that you collect enough Karma so
    you are not being reincarnated again.
    There is nöo such meaning to lead a hipp-happy life, but to use this vey one life to make an end. There are certain stairs you can approach. The last one is the best one.
    I do agree, that the fundament opinion of buddhist teaching is, that there were some
    cosmic events that brought the lightbeings to eart and after gathering materia they
    became humans. In Christian and Busshist teaching they agre on the fact that Brahma,God and humns are similar, with a bit of higher or lower form of this similarity.
    Christian teching is very much influeced by buddhist teaching. You can ealize that if you´ve been both teachings. Buddhism is the only teaching that telle you, that you can have the ability, being on both sides in the same time or experience them seperately.
    But no other teching is giving you the ability to enter the beyond being alife.

anando
    anando said:

Christian teching is very much influeced by buddhist teaching. ...
    anando

That they have degrees of similarity (which not all would agree with) does not necessarily mean that one influenced the other.

Chaz
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    You will find all colors of the rainbow of Buddhist belief here, and elsewhere. Certain partitions of it may not be for you because they tend to be more literal about rebirth and deities, whereas others are not so literal. Even within the same sect, different teachers often have different interpretations. The only thing I can recommend is if you run into something here, or in a book or elsewhere and say "Oh, no, not with a 10 foot pole will I touch that" and walk away from Buddhism. Just change which part of it you are looking into, because it can vary quite a lot from one lineage to another. Everyone here (as is the case anywhere) will share their point of view from their lineage and their experience with teachings, teachers, and so on. So take everything with a grain of salt and don't make any judgements until you check it out for yourself.

The Kalama Sutra explains that pretty well, as quoted above. *But* that means that you need to be open minded enough to let go of all your preconceived ideas about anything, because Buddhism isn't a place where a mind closed to possibilities thrives. Especially the things you feel strongest about. Holding onto views with a death grip just doesn't work. That means being open to even the possibilities our science cannot yet explain...think of all the things science figured out in the last 100 years and how wrong the people before that were, and you might get an idea how wrong we probably are about a lot of the things we don't know yet. No sense in applying limits before you start, or there isn't much sense in starting.
    LiilobsterBunks
  • marcham93 said:

-Mike

Buddhism has been around for ages. Of course, there is a supernatural content. You just must have eyes to see it. Perhaps, you see he did indeed have a vision of Gods but then, Gods do not determine a man's destiny. A man has his destiny in his hands.

You may not understand rebirth. I don't understand how a car works but I drive one anyway. Who cares how a car works and who cares if there is rebirth. Just live right and that's the middle way.

There should be many branches of Buddhists. Which branch/es suit/s you? Just sit on that branch until you are ready for the next level.
    karastiBunks