Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Failure?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited May 2013 in General Banter
Still working on becoming enlightened. Had hoped that April would be the month. We are now in May. Maybe I should not try so hard. Come to think of it, I don't really try hard. Failure it seems, comes along anyway. There is nothing we can do. That's life.
If I do, or don't become a Buddha what difference will it make? It seems there are sufficient enlightened beings, teachers, books, all kinds of access to information and teachings. Maybe I should take up knitting?

A lot of the people here, seem to think liberation is a side effect, or not that important, why is that? Are we just practising to gain a little peace and equanimity? Is Buddhism just a way of coping with life? Should it be something more? What is the purpose of Buddhism? Are we failures or is it just me?

Comments

• maartenmaarten Veteran
    I'm too scared of liberation to really want it.
    RodrigolobsterJohn_Spencerpegembara
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Enlightenment is like defining your sexuality.
    You don't need to explain or justify it.
    You just know.
    And when you know, there's no need to broadcast it.
    Others will know you by your actions, not by what you proclaim yourself to be.

In truth, @lobster, the closer to 'Enlightenment' you keep telling us you are, the further away from it, exponentially, you get.
    lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    (And why you saw fit to put this into 'meditation' is beyond me..... Moved to G-B.)
    TheEccentric
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Hi Lobster,

No offense, but seems to me you are fooling yourself. Please, for your own benefit change your idea of where you are and where you have to go. Because like this you will only get yourself worked up. My advise is to spend some time in a monastery or other retreat setting. It may help you see things in the right perspective. Talk to a teacher there.

With metta,
    Sabre
    lobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2013
    To be honest, at first, I thought I knew where you were going
    with all this...but now....I have no idea.
    It's starting to sound like 'who's on first?', haha

I'm also curious about one thing....
    this is the third time you have brought up knitting.
    As a knitter of course...I have to ask...
    what are you getting at? What are you trying to
    say about it's relation to all this?

P.S.- I'll start taking up the collection for bail... :D
  • The path is the goal.
    riverflowlobsterTheEccentric
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    I'm also curious about one thing....
    this is the third time you have brought up knitting.
    Knitting:
    1. To make (a fabric or garment) by intertwining yarn or thread in a series of connected loops either by hand, with knitting needles, or on a machine.
    2. To form (yarn or thread) into fabric by intertwining.
    3. To join closely; unite securely.
    4. To draw (the brows) together in wrinkles; furrow.

Imagine that you have the thread (one of the meanings of Tantra) and you are interested in becoming 'a man of wool' (one of the meanings of Sufi) or in our case a Buddha.
    Now before you knit your temples, imagine we too are part of the yarn. In order to join closely or knit a new community of Buddhists, what do we need?

We have plenty of experts who know what I need :clap:
    They offer genuine and meritorious advice. Still I am a failure :bawl:

What we need is skilful knitters and not just overgrown nits like me . . . :)
    nlightenInvincible_summer
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited May 2013
    @lobster: The Buddhist version of Andy Kaufman?
    Vastmind
  • nenkohainenkohai Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I am convinced that there is no brass ring out there labeled "enlightenment." I would even suggest that if enlightenment IS your goal, you may need to reevaluate the premise of your spiritual journey. I am reevaluating this very thing in myself. And I'm finding its not all about me (hellooooooo). Yes, I wanted/want to wear the mantle of enlightenment. Yep, I know... it DOES sound egotistical! That's because it is.

It is true, what they say: "The truth WILL set you free. But, first, it will really piss you off."
    riverflow
  • lobster said:

If I do, or don't become a Buddha what difference will it make? It seems there are sufficient enlightened beings, teachers, books, all kinds of access to information and teachings. Maybe I should take up knitting?

Why don't you become a Samyaksambuddha?

That would make a difference - wouldn't it?
    :)
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't think liberation is unimportant, but to me, being only a year into Buddhism, if I am focusing on that I feel like a 2 year old who is focused on how to get into Yale. I have enough to work on every day without putting the pressure on myself about whether it'll liberate me. And honestly, my current thoughts are that I do not (at least yet) want to liberate. I don't think I'm done here, nor do I desire to be done here, suffering and all, and I hope I get to come back. Perhaps in my next life I will regret that, LOL.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    lobster said:

If I do, or don't become a Buddha what difference will it make? It seems there are sufficient enlightened beings, teachers, books, all kinds of access to information and teachings.

I thought that like no one in modern times had even attained enlightenment.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran

lobster said:

If I do, or don't become a Buddha what difference will it make? It seems there are sufficient enlightened beings, teachers, books, all kinds of access to information and teachings.

I thought that like no one in modern times had even attained enlightenment.

Enlightenment is like miracles. The further back in time you go, the easier it is to convince folks that things and people were different.
    nenkohaivinlynriverflowInvincible_summer
    @TheEccentric There have been enlightened people in modern times. They even walk among us today. Not all of them tell us that they are enlightened. Some of them do.
  • nenkohainenkohai Veteran
    If someone was to actually say to me or in public "I am enlightened," even if that person were the Dalai Lama, my response would be "that is not for you to judge." Or to say. Or frankly, even to be concerned about.

I think, the instant a person says, "I am enlightened," and even if it WERE true, it ceases to be true at the instant that is said.

I know I sound rather pissy. I apologize for that. I am re-evaluating a lot of things at the moment and maybe my frustration is showing...
  • lobster said:

Still working on becoming enlightened. Had hoped that April would be the month. We are now in May. Maybe I should not try so hard. Come to think of it, I don't really try hard. Failure it seems, comes along anyway. There is nothing we can do. That's life.

What remains to be relinquished? How are you working to identify what remains and relinquish it?
    lobster said:

A lot of the people here, seem to think liberation is a side effect, or not that important, why is that? Are we just practising to gain a little peace and equanimity? Is Buddhism just a way of coping with life? Should it be something more? What is the purpose of Buddhism? Are we failures or is it just me?

Spiritual work is a process of demolition. You can drop a hellfire missile on a building, but it tends to make a mess of the neighborhood. Still, I have done that to some parts of my life.

You can just kick out a wall of the building you're living in each time you need to get out for a breath of fresh air. It's slow, and it raises the risk that some part of your home collapses on you unexpectedly. Still, it's a responsible way to proceed if you don't really know what you're doing (dropping a hellfire missile on the wrong building is bad news), and the up-close-and-detailed work can teach you how a building and its components are put together. Plus, you get to walk around in the fresh air occasionally, which is helpful for verifying that you're on the right track.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    nenkohai said:

If someone was to actually say to me or in public "I am enlightened," even if that person were the Dalai Lama, my response would be "that is not for you to judge." Or to say. Or frankly, even to be concerned about.

I think, the instant a person says, "I am enlightened," and even if it WERE true, it ceases to be true at the instant that is said.

I know I sound rather pissy. I apologize for that. I am re-evaluating a lot of things at the moment and maybe my frustration is showing...

I am pretty much in agreement with you. I might disagree with the "if it WERE true, it ceases to be true at the instant that is said", but I don't think enlightened beings go around actively drawing attention to their enlightenment.

riverflownenkohai
  • I once had a teacher that continually boasted about her enlightenment... I no longer follow this teacher, but she did provide some great teachings.
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I think if someone has to convince you that they are enlightened, they aren't. If someone brags about it, they definitely aren't. But *telling* someone? Well, the Buddha announced it, right? And he was enlightened. :) Maybe some tell others in order to give them hope that it is a real possibility? Maybe?

I don't think you have to be enlightened to tell if someone is enlightened. Just observe. If sentient beings are drawn to them, they appear to be truly content no matter what the circumstance, and they practice true compassion (amongst other things I know I'm probably leaving out)? Then it's a no-brainer.

And I think you can tell if you're enlightened or not. It's like having an orgasm. Before having one, most people go, "Uhhhh... I think I had one before." No. If you've had one before, you would know it. I think it's the same with enlightenment.

Orgasms and enlightenment: two things you simply cannot deny you've experienced when they happen. :D
    I_AM_THATkarasti
  • nenkohai said:

I disagree, Shakyamuni publicly said he was Enlightened.

Had he not we wouldn't have the Dharma.

How can something true, cease to be true because someone said it?

karastiToshInvincible_summerJeffrey
    The truth is just the truth, there is no denying it just because it is spoken or just because someone else doesn't believe it. The truth can't suddenly not be the truth. I don't think simply stating it means it's not true. Obviously someone who is enlightened won't feel a need to brag about it, but perhaps if someone randomly walks up to you on the street and says so, it is because you needed to hear it from them. Perhaps it is one of those moments that is worth pursuing instead of writing the person off as a liar or crazy or whatever. I admit I'd have a hard time with it too, as I said in the other thread about Buddha being a deadbeat dad, if my husband were to suddenly tell me something like that, I'd think him crazy, lol. But I'm trying to be more open to those moments, to accept that they happen for a reason and it's up to me to investigate whether I think it's true or not. But just because I don't think it's true doesn't mean it is. I'm sure there are a lot of things I think of as truth that really are not. I think rebirth is the truth. A Christian thinks heaven is. We can't both be right.
  • People tend to conflate morality with spirituality. An enlightened person isn't necessarily a moral person, so it would be impossible to judge them from their actions.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    OK, here I go again....

It honest-to-God leaves me flabbergasted when I see/hear people talking about liberation or enlightenment and then claiming they really, really want it.

When I want a chocolate bar, I know what the hell I am talking about.

But if someone actually knew what liberation/enlightenment was, how in the world could they possibly want it? That would be like saying you want to learn how to breathe while you were already breathing.

And the same question applies to those who claim not to know what liberation/enlightenment is: How can you want something when you don't know what it is? Sure, you can read books and imagine you had found clues ... but that's all cotton candy and not the real McCoy, right? And if that is true, then what you want is never exactly what you want ... it's just more cotton candy.

@Lobster ... relax. Take your time. Keep on keepin' on. Never mind "Buddhism" or "enlightenment" or "emptiness" or "compassion." Just keep on keepin' on and see what happens. Maybe it's all a hoax and a delusion. Maybe it's the brightest pot of gold ever. Never mind. Just see what happens.
    nenkohairiverflowTBRulhlobster
  • @genkaku, what are you suggesting @lobster keep on with? Do you already know how he's practicing or what obstacles he perceives in his attempts at enlightenment?

Also, as I understand enlightenment it is perfectly reasonable to want it even once you know what it is. The desire for it is only dropped in the very last step on the way to it.
    This is deathless, namely, the liberation of mind through lack of clinging/sustenance.
    Invincible_summerJeffrey
    Everyone is at a different stage of their path, within this lifetime and due to other lifetimes. It never does any good to wonder why people don't understand things the same way you do.
    nenkohailobsterInvincible_summerJeffrey
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited May 2013
    In the Vimamsaka Sutta, a major part in the process for disciples to test the Buddha's enlightenment, as laid down by the Buddha himself, involves scrutinizing the purity of his conduct although the ultimate test seems to be one's ability to penetrate the Dhamma by following his teachings.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Sabre said:

Hi Lobster,

No offense, but seems to me you are fooling yourself. Please, for your own benefit change your idea of where you are and where you have to go. Because like this you will only get yourself worked up. My advise is to spend some time in a monastery or other retreat setting. It may help you see things in the right perspective. Talk to a teacher there.

With metta,
    Sabre

Lobster, I see you're laughing about this. That's doesn't bother me, but it's your problem, man. Just take it easy on the whole Buddhahood idea. You may not listen to me, but at least I've warned you. All this topics of yours with "I'll do it this month" show you don't know what you are talking about. It's all non-self, you can't decide or control when things happen. That's why it's about letting go. You're not doing that, you are holding on more. I know too little about you, but I've heard people with over-the-top ideas don't always end up too well.

Please find a decent Buddhist teacher in real life and have a chat.

Be happy,
    Sabre
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Sabre said:

Lobster, I see you're laughing about this. That's doesn't bother me, but it's your problem, man. Just take it easy on the whole Buddhahood idea. You may not listen to me, but at least I've warned you. All this topics of yours with "I'll do it this month" show you don't know what you are talking about.

I think all of @lobster's Buddhahood this year threads are a kind of friendly trolling. Nonsense aimed at getting any kind of response.
    Just something to do. Entertainment.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    robot said:

Sabre said:

Lobster, I see you're laughing about this. That's doesn't bother me, but it's your problem, man. Just take it easy on the whole Buddhahood idea. You may not listen to me, but at least I've warned you. All this topics of yours with "I'll do it this month" show you don't know what you are talking about.

I think all of @lobster's Buddhahood this year threads are a kind of friendly trolling. Nonsense aimed at getting any kind of response.
    Just something to do. Entertainment.
    If that's the case, I can only say "hell yes" to the topic title. :p
    John_SpencerlobsterInvincible_summer
  • black_teablack_tea Explorer
    Speaking for myself, it is difficult to completely wrap my mind around what liberation is -- what it's like, and it is difficult to focus on something that I have such minimal understanding of. On the other hand not getting as angry, being more content, causing less harm to others are all things that I can readily understand and therefore work towards. Also Buddhism rings true for me on some level, so even if my practice at times is clumsy and less than ideal, it wouldn't feel right to just walk away from it. For me it's not so much a way to cope with the world, but a way to better understand how the world works and my place in it.
    John_SpencerlobsterStraight_Man
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Vastminds said:

karasti said:

I personally enjoy @lobster's comments. Sometimes I understand them (I think) better than other times, but I enjoy his ability to make one think and have to consider what he is really saying. I don't pretend to assume what his goal is. But I think he's a pretty smart crustacean and one always with a sense of humor, which most of us could stand to gain a bit more of most of the time. I'm always thankful for those who don't follow the same boring old song. Fun brings life to any topic of conversation.

I agree.
    Between you, me and the lamp post, I think his goal is
    NOT to be a cookie-cutter kinda Buddha, you know what
    I mean, Vern?

Trolling? No way. The material is too revealing. He has to
    read the stuff himself to even post it...think about it. He doesn't post
    junk....the links are dead serious stuff. He's a terrible troll...lolololol

Friendly? Yep! :) All day....even if it rains.

Long Live the Lobster........ I say! :clap:

Don't get me wrong. I really like it and I'm interested when @lobster is being serious.
    I just don't share his sense of humour. And when he is predicting his own awakening I can only assume he is joking and filling time.
    edited May 2013
    ^^^ Gotcha
  • It makes me a little sad. I put some effort into my post because I thought it would be useful. Should have known better, I guess, I've seen that a lot of his other posts have been jokes.
    edited May 2013
    fivebells said:

It makes me a little sad. I put some effort into my post because I thought it would be useful. Should have known better, I guess, I've seen that a lot of his other posts have been jokes.

Don't you dare be sad, mister! I read your posts...and it's
    up to all of us in the group to take what is offered and apply
    it to practice, if we are able. You have experience worth sharing.
    lobsterriverflowInvincible_summer
    I agree. I always enjoy your posts @fivebells. Sometimes they are beyond my understanding and limited practice, but I enjoy your experience and the way you are able to share it. I envy people who can get their point across in so few words compared to me, lol. All you can do is share. It's up to everyone to do with it what they are able.
    lobsterriverflowJeffrey
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    When I think of what it would be like to be Enlightened, I sometimes have this idea that all my doubts would be gone. I would have all the answers. I would know. People could ask all sorts of weird questions and I would answer them from my own experience.
    If that’s what Enlightenment is I certainly don’t have it.

My problem is that I don’t trust teachers who appear to be like that. I don’t believe a person who says he has all the answers. I trust people who have doubts and problems and unanswered questions. I trust people with unfinished business. Maybe that’s because I can relate to them.
    So either I trust the unenlightened more than the enlightened or my definition of enlightenment is off the mark.

The bottom line is that in fact our present “unenlightened” state of mind is not so bad.

Don’t change @lobster, don’t become a Buddha just yet. Keep things open for a little longer.
    Fail some more.

lobsterriverflowpersonVastmind
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    The first Buddhists would not have said "I am enlightened" but instead would have no modesty in claiming "I am an Arahant" meaning one who has extinguished all the fetters and experienced nirvana, and meant the same thing.

At the first Buddhist council, held several months after Buddha's death, supposedly 500 proclaimed and accepted Arahants attended. And that was just the men, because the men refused to let the female Arahants attend. Arahant back then meant the same thing as Enlightened according to the Buddha himself. What made one an Arahant? Having the other senior monks agree you were one. Granted, the title was a bit more jealously guarded by the hiearchy as the centuries went by and some schools of Buddhism began to make a distinction between regular Arahant status and full blown Buddhahood.

By the way, these self-elected enlightened Arahants? The ones supposedly free from defilements like jealousy and anger and such? The first thing they did was put Ananda on trial for daring to persuade Buddha to admit women into the sangha.

So using the original standards and going by the original checklist, just about every senior monk is an Arahant and thus enlightened. Kinda disappointing, isn't it? Today, we want that word to mean something more.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Fail some more.
    I hear ya.

From 'The Life of Brian?':
    Brian: I'm not the Messiah! Will you please listen? I am not the Messiah, do you understand? Honestly!
    Girl: Only the true Messiah denies His divinity.
    Brian: What? Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right! I am the Messiah!
    Followers: He is! He is the Messiah!

. . . I will continue to mirror, disappoint, troll, amuse, have fun, look for a teacher, practice, give up, be comprehensible, be incomprehensible, be un-prophetic, sadden, happify, be serious, share my sense of humour, live long an' prosper etc etc etc . . .

. . . meanwhile, when we are all Buddhas . . .
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/whatsabuddha/a/whatsabuddha.htm

. . . we may just . . .

Since things neither exist nor don't exist,
    are neither real nor unreal,
    are utterly beyond adopting and rejecting -
    one might as well burst out laughing.

Longchenpa
    http://luminousemptiness.blogspot.co.uk/2004/12/middle-path.html
    :wave:
    zenff
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The end of the avatamsaka sutra says that there are an infinite number of Buddhas on the tip of a hair all with their circles of Bodhisattvas around them.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    If you personally or even distantly know some beings who are far along the path you can aspire to take on those qualities. We intuit what enlightenment is. By definition enlightenment is not something that self/other can 'grasp'. And we get glimpses in our daily life and meditation of breaches of the wall of doubt and alive being shining through.
  • Regarding Lobster's posts- I think someone who is enlightened would be laughing all the time.
    SillyPuttykarasti
    A couple of TNH's quotes I've read recently about this topic:

"There is no enlightenment outside of daily life."

"Enlightenment is always there. Small enlightenment will bring great enlightenment. If you breathe in and are aware that you are alive—that you can touch the miracle of being alive—then that is a kind of enlightenment."

Is it possible to have glimpses of enlightenment? Like you briefly have a moment of what it might be like, just for a split second, then it's gone, like Deja Vu? Or is that something completely different? Can it come in bits and pieces and stages? or is it just gone one day, and there the next all the time?

Lots of the stories that have been told by teachers seem to have a lot of magical/psychic qualities about being enlightened. The same types of things are as said about God and/or Jesus. When I was a child I always heard Jesus knows exactly how many hairs are on your head. When I went to a short retreat lately, the Lama said that when one is fully enlightened, they can see the past, present and future all as one. That they can look at a huge audience and pick people out and say exactly what is on their mind, and what their past lives were, and so on. I am not sure I believe the stories about that any more than I believed the one about Jesus knowing about my hair. It just doesn't seem like it is as mystical as all that.

I believe one can be enlightened without having psychic abilities. The Lama who did our retreat even claimed to have some of that ability but would not talk about it (he brought it up, then refused to answer questions saying it was too dangerous). Those things might be possible, I don't know if they are or not. I'm skeptical but I won't flat out say it never happens. Anyhow, it just lead me to wonder to myself if there are stages of enlightenment. When teachers always say "Fully enlightened"it leads me to believes there is some sort of partial or temporary enlightenment.
    SillyPutty
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    The psychic gifts are not needed to become enlightened/arhant. But if you want to save all beings you develope them out of compassion ie the intention to help others. Without that motivation they can just become an obstacle obsessing you from seeing the three marks and transforming the poisons.

I don't think you get a glimpse of enlightenment because there is all this samsara to distract you. But you do get glimpses that make your heart happy because it knows it is right way to go. We are born to see beauty with our sensitivity and the sky or a piece of music can manifest this sensitivity. The same sensitivity is there in a Buddha. Some things are blown away (kleshas), and some things were always there such as your heart and sensitivity.
    karasti
  • "Make better mistakes." ~ Robert Fripp
    lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    If you decide your aim is off and you correct it that is success not failure. :bowdown:
    riverflowpommesetorangesVastmind
  • @karasti, @Vastminds, thanks for the kind words.
    Vastmind
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Regarding Lobster's posts- I think someone who is enlightened would be laughing all the time.

Does the reverse work? If I am laughing could I laugh my way to enlightenment? Maybe for just a sec???