Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    leave a note under the tree.... It works if you write to Santa, so why not Mother Nature?

I too have the tiniest buds imaginable on my little Olive tree.... but I don't even know if they'll open at all. Unseasonal weather we're having here.

Unseasonal.
    Huh. :rolleyes:

It's getting to the point where I don't even know what 'seasonal' is.... :buck:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Its getting to the point
    where I'm no fun any more, I am sorry.

Oh hang on, thats Crosby Stills and Nash...
    SillyPuttyriverflowInvincible_summerBarra
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I am dreading going into work! :D
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I'm in Big Trouble.
    I put a pair of chino's in the washing machine without checking the pockets and there must have been several kleenex tissues in one of them...result ,bits of shredded tissue on every garment...and all over the floor...woe is me...
    personJeffreyLucy_Begoodherberto
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    I AM GOING FROLFING TODAY!!!!!!! (FROLF=DISC GOLF) (DISC GOLF=Frisbee golf) (Frisbee golf=just google it if you are already lost) :)
    JeffreyInvincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I ran and walked 2 miles today (not both, just a sum).
    SillyPuttylobsterInvincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I scored 0/5 on this current National Geographics quiz. Too hard!!!
    Invincible_summerEarthninja
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Yum, pizza! Now some antacid tablets :) Did the pizza have topings? What were they?

My favorite creation is jalapeno, bacon, pineapple: hot, sweet, sour, savory/salty.
  • No heartburn (yet!). I've been lucky in that department. Just cheese pizza-- but this isn't greasy chain stuff, but quality pizza from a hole-in-the-wall in downtown Memphis. With more of @Vastmind 's wonderful basil!
    Invincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Nothing to announce.
    riverflowBeej
  • lobster said:

Nothing to announce.

"I have nothing to say
    and I am saying it
    and that is poetry
    as I need it."

~John Cage
    dantepwherbertolobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2013

Citta said:

I'm in Big Trouble.
    I put a pair of chino's in the washing machine without checking the pockets and there must have been several kleenex tissues in one of them...result ,bits of shredded tissue on every garment...and all over the floor...woe is me...

Could be worse- I washed a pair of shorts with a pen in them last week. Let's just say my wife was not happy. Although I believe in impermenance, ink is another story...
    Oh good... :) ..I will tell my wife later. " At least I didn't leave a pen in my pocket...like some " I will say in a schadenfreuderish kind of way..
    oceancaldera207
  • We have sooo many (Ruby Throated) hummingbirds coming to our 2 feeders this year! I can sit and watch them for hours. I wish I could capture them in a pic for you guys..... but they are too small and too fast!
    SillyPuttyLucy_BegoodJeffrey
  • Wait... I forgot this pic I managed to get a couple weeks back.... taken out my living room window; crappy cell phone picture. But there he is! :)
    Lucy_Begoodlobster
  • MaryAnne said:

Wait... I forgot this pic I managed to get a couple weeks back.... taken out my living room window; crappy cell phone picture. But there he is! :)

You are so lucky to see them, @MaryAnne! I didn't put my hummingbird feeder out this year. I've been wanting to see one in person for so long. Sometimes I wonder if they even exist where I live.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Today is the anniversary of my 22nd birthday. And no, I'm not going to announce which anniversary! Let's just say I've been celebrating my 22nd birthday on a yearly basis for a "while" now. :p

Happy 22cnd birthday...and many more of them.
    Lucy_Begood
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    MaryAnne said:

Wait... I forgot this pic I managed to get a couple weeks back.... taken out my living room window; crappy cell phone picture. But there he is! :)

Wow...we have lots of beautiful birds here in the UK..but we don't have hummingbirds...sigh.
  • MaryAnne said:

You are so lucky to see them, @MaryAnne! I didn't put my hummingbird feeder out this year. I've been wanting to see one in person for so long. Sometimes I wonder if they even exist where I live.

@sillyputty
    If you live just about anywhere in America, lower parts of Canada, and/or into Mexico and central America... you probably have hummingbirds! :) The trick is to be patient. Hang up your feeders at least 3-4' away from any windows or the house, but do put them where you can see them from inside.
    Put them up around the end of April and leave them up until November.

It takes time for the hummers to find them - but eventually they will. And once they do, they will come back more and more. You'll have even more of them if you hang feeders in the same general area year after year.
    The first summer in this house we only saw maybe one or two hummingbirds all summer. The second summer we saw them maybe once or twice a week. This year however- we see them coming to the two feeders 6-8 times a day!
    Just about every single time we look, we see one within a few minutes! It's awesome!

Now they have even started to drink from the feeders and then perch their tiny behinds on top of the bamboo fence for a few minutes... I know my hubs got a pic of this on his phone. I'll post it if I can. BTW, that feeder you see in the pic above is a home made feeder made from a water bottle and some plastic tubing. Very simple. The nectar is also very easy to make yourself, although they do prefer the red pre-made nectar you can add water to - at first. But once they know where the feeders are... they'll come back! :)
    SillyPutty
  • Today is the anniversary of my 22nd birthday. And no, I'm not going to announce which anniversary! Let's just say I've been celebrating my 22nd birthday on a yearly basis for a "while" now. :p

"Everyone is the age of her heart." ~ Guatemalan proverb

Happy continuation day @Lucy_Begood !!
  • I have decided to try writing-- and eventually speaking (!) in E-prime. Actually a couple of my last posts I wrote in E-prime (not counting any quoatations!). I've done it before on a couple occasions, for months at a time. It doesn't come easy, but I like the challenge.

Thinking in E-prime doesn't magically solve problems, but it does help to highlight them and how linking verbs frame our thinking.

SillyPuttyMaryAnne
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I wish I had a hermit cave. My kids are working really, really hard to make me learn extra patience this week. I resist their lessons as strongly as they resist rules, lol.
    MaryAnneVastmindBuddha-Dude
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited June 2013
    @karasti
    I LOL at your comment above, but I sooooo get it, believe me. My kids are all grown now and moved out into lives of their own.
    However, I do have two elderly parents who live less than 2 blocks away, and I'm pretty much in charge of looking after / helping / driving them around 75% of the time. I swear, sometimes it is very much like having teens to deal with!! LOL Now I was by no means an "easy kid" to deal with myself, but ..... ... Karma, ya think?
  • @Riverflow -- sad, yet awesome story. If your neighbors need anything else, a great site to find very generous people looking to give away items is your local FreeCycle. Go to the link below and you can search for items that may be of use to them:

http://my.freecycle.org/

It works in conjunction with Yahoo! Groups, so you may need a Yahoo! email in order to access your local area's freecycle.
    riverflow
  • "So, you guys are making statues of me? Hmmm. Interesting. It's OK I guess, but hope you understand you don't need to do that."
    The Buddha
    SillyPuttyVastmindlobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    federica said:

leave a note under the tree.... It works if you write to Santa, so why not Mother Nature?

I too have the tiniest buds imaginable on my little Olive tree.... but I don't even know if they'll open at all. Unseasonal weather we're having here.

Unseasonal.
    Huh. :rolleyes:

It's getting to the point where I don't even know what 'seasonal' is.... :buck:

What happened with your Olive buds @federica ? I was premature in announcing that mine were opening...they seem to be stuck in a kind of suspended animation despite the recent warmth.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ditto...they've grown in size, but otherwise have remained in a state of 'sameness'....! :D
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I am beginning to wonder if they will open at all this year...and even if they do will the fruit ripen before the first frosts..still, I have few of last years in oil.
    If you keep your olive tree outside all year round, as I do, we may have some fruit form.... have you researched the Olive tree? Apparently the flowers appear at the tips of the stems, but my olive seems to have flower clusters a good half-way down the branch.... :scratch:
    I have to say, I've just been out to visit my little tree....and the buds now look like buds, and have a very slight pinkish tinge to them.... It's possible they'll open soon!
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    federica said:

If you keep your olive tree outside all year round, as I do, we may have some fruit form.... have you researched the Olive tree? Apparently the flowers appear at the tips of the stems, but my olive seems to have flower clusters a good half-way down the branch.... :scratch:

Yes, ours is outside all year..covered in winter with a protective shroud-like thing from a garden centre. The flowers this years are all along the branches with most at the tip...oh well, fingers crossed.
    :rolleyes:
  • i'm sweating
    I know. Get a towel.
    Citta
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Bet you'll shorten it when calling her/him in... :)
  • Look at your cat's face. He does not like that name and has rejected it. I wouldn't be suprised if he peed on your sofa.
    I have seen looks like that before.
    personherberto
    It's thinking:

"Dumb human has nooo idea I'm a Yiddish cat....."
    Barraherberto
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited July 2013
    federica said:

It's thinking:

"Dumb human has nooo idea I'm a Yiddish cat....."

Nope, she converted from CATholicism
    federicaDandelion
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2013
    What about calling him BodhiCatva? It will be tough to enforce the cat nip precept :)
    Dandelion
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

Mowing the lawn is kind of pointless.

I love mowing the lawn, if it's with one of those old-fashioned push mowers! :)

Invincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    This morning walked to Wimbledon, think I took a wrong turning, temple was closed …monks probably praying for Andy Murray to win the tennis.
    Always remember:
    "First Service"
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    @federica ! The flowers on our little olive tree are opening !
    Jeffrey
    Mine aren't yet - but they're getting bigger!!
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I suspect the poor things have been waiting for the sun..and it's here at last.