Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What movies are you watching?

14567810»

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    Watched the Documentary "Going Clear" about Scientology. Fascinating.

I saw it some time ago, and also saw Louis Theroux’s My Scientology Movie about the same time. Indeed fascinating, but also more than a little scary.

DagobahZen
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran

Thoroughly enjoyed "Wicked Little Letters", really funny, thoroughly profane and illustrative of the suppression of women ...

Jeroen
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited April 16

Found this in my YouTube feed… seems the internet is being populated by people who don’t exist. It’s a set of entirely AI generated images, of young middle-eastern looking women in bathing suits.

Well in order to be immersed in the real world. I look at youtube on my TV but find their suggested algorithmic AI (Artificial Income) so simplistic, monetised/propagandised as to be little more than click bait.

I will stick to peertube or similar
    https://qoto.org/tags/PeerTube

• Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

Hmm Click Bait

@lobster said:
    Well in order to be immersed in the real world. I look at youtube on my TV but find their suggested algorithmic AI (Artificial Income) so simplistic, monetised/propagandised as to be little more than click bait.

I use YouTube for a few things, I sometimes look up music I like, tech reviews, and I use it to listen to certain spiritual teachers such as Eckhart Tolle, Mooji etc. I also use it to listen to Terence McKenna and Alan Watts talks which can’t easily be found elsewhere. But aside from those specific uses I rarely use the algorithm to explore, it seems to bring up a lot of what I’ve searched for in the past but it’s poor at finding stuff I’d be interested in.

• IdleChaterIdleChater USA Veteran

I found this a really interesting critique of the processes of Big Tech, where a service starts good and cheap, and becomes large and entrenched, and then becomes noticeably poor value for customers. Enshittification, it is also called.

Shoshin1IdleChaterlobster

I think I may never eat Sushi again… my grandfather used to fillet fish in the fish halls at IJmuiden

edited May 15

Today it's been raining on and off, sometimes quite heavy, so I decided to watch a movie on YouTube and The Martian Chronicle part 1 came up in the selections (it was the first in the list, hmm perhaps it's algorithms at work )...Anyhow I watched it...

The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury is a classic science fiction novel that explores the dangers of colonization through its depiction of humanity's attempts to settle on Mars. Set in the future, the book portrays various expeditions and colonization efforts by Earthlings on the Red Planet. However, these endeavors are fraught with peril, both from the inhospitable Martian environment and from the consequences of human greed, arrogance, and misunderstanding. Bradbury's narrative delves into themes of imperialism, environmental destruction, cultural clashes, and the inherent risks of trying to impose human civilization on alien worlds. Through a series of interconnected short stories, "The Martian Chronicles" serves as a cautionary tale about the hubris of colonization and the potential for it to lead to disaster.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Colin Quinn released a special for free on You Tube. He gives a funny and insightful look at the state of the world in front of an audience of psychologists.

Shoshin1

I watched this in the morning, it was a good way to wake up, a gentle half hour video of a first-class train ride from Tokyo to Hokkaido on the Shinkansen, or bullet train, going at 320 km/hr.

I watched a UK TV series called "Boat Story" It was quite funny in a humour noir kind of way...

This was kinda cool, a video about how they built a camera drone capable of following a Formula 1 car for a full lap around a race track.

Award-winning documentary

Shoshin1JeroenDagobahZen
    edited July 6

@lobster said:
    Award-winning documentary

Hmm. 10 euros to buy on Apple TV, for a 90 min docu.

Edit: I bought it! Thanks @Lobster

It was worth every penny? I think so @Jeroen <3

Very meditative, landscapes, water, old age… beautiful film!

Been watching a three part series on Pilgrimage (just typed in and corrected 'Pigrimage', which might suit better) o:)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09w7lc0

• LostieLostie Veteran

Hillbilly Elegy.

Flabbergasted that Hollywood actually made this movie. Brilliant soundtrack.

The Beverly Hillbillies...Make America grate again ...

Watched a Jain documentary from 1973. Only got halfway through so far. It was worse than extreme Kagyu Tantra devotionalism...
    Watched 'The Man Who Wasnt There'. Watched about a third (so far) of 'The Third Man'.

Yesterday watched 'Deadpool and Wolverine'

It cheered me up. Having a stiff day from over exertion. Their karma/lives were far worse. Usual very sick/disturbed humour. They should join me in the naughty corner... >:)

Watching a sequence of fictional events involving people who don’t exist and a world full of impossible superpowers… sounds suitably samsaric.

I watched this 1979 documentary
    The Palestinian People Do Have Rights
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAeBAqU-Q

This film was produced at the request and under the guidance of the United Nations Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People. It was in production during the Spring and Summer of 1978 (Release Date: September 1979). The film reviews the background of the question of Palestine. Then through interviews with Palestinians from all walks of life, it attempts to give an idea of what it is to be without a country, without an identity. It concludes with a summary of the main events of United Nations consideration of the issue. At the end, an addendum explains more specifically the role of the UN Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People: what it does in the hope to bring about a solution to the problem.

Produced by the United Nations at the request and under the guidance of the UN Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People.

edited August 7

That's weird.... I can watch it on YouTube here in Aotearoa , but it would seem it's been blocked by Youtube elsewhere...

If you click on the link in my post, this comes up... "YouTube is not currently available on this device." ...
    It's just a UN documentary on Palestine, I wonder why it's been blocked ..
    '

edited August 7

Your link is malformed due to its inclusion of two underscores, which in Vanilla Forum’s edit box is replaced with a section in italics. So on this forum that link is missing two characters, and isn’t interpreted correctly. If I search for the title of the docu, I can find it and watch it perfectly well.

https://youtu.be/wAeBAqU-Q

edited August 8

I can't work out why the two underscores were at the end part, I haven't come a cross anything like this before, it's quite weird...
    Anyhow, I found the documentary quite interesting...

It’s just part of the YouTube address for this particular video… bad luck that this forum uses that as code for “put this text in italics”

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Just saw ……Fly Me to the Moon . It was pretty cute. A Rom-Com about the marketing of the Apollo 11 flight. It leaves open the “conspiracy” of a fake moon landing, yet poked fun at it at the same time. The shots were great… and was perfect timing to the chit chat I had with @marcitko over in the hobby thread. 🚀

lobster

Watched and enjoyed too @Vastmind. We found it very funny. <3
    Great script lines and comedic acting. Fun.

Vastmind
  • Based on recommendations by @Vastmind and @lobster I went to see Fly Me to the Moon with my father this evening. He's a physicist and likes easygoing movies so I figured he might enjoy it. He liked it very much, I enjoyed it too, so thank you very much.

lobsterVastmind

I was finally able to watch this…

It surprised me a little with its mature tone, it wasn’t really aimed at kids, and there were moments that veered towards horror, like the giant parrot soldiers eating humans and the slaughtering room when Mahito was briefly captured. But then most of Miyazaki’s films feature some mature moments.

I thought it was a shame the Dutch distribution on Apple TV didn’t include the English sound track, I would have preferred it to the Japanese. I want to watch it a second time before seeing where it finally settles in my ranking of Ghibli films, but I think currently behind the big four (Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky) and probably behind Ponyo as well, seeing as how I really enjoyed watching that the other night.

• Checking out the latest Alien movie on Sunday 😮

I enjoyed this on YouTube…

Amazing New Zealand (1963)

• Yeshe2019Yeshe2019 Australia Explorer

I’m watching the Love Comes Softly series, based on the Christian book series. Hardly no violence, it’s part of my path to progress into a genteel woman ☺️

lobster
    edited August 21

I was at the BFT (British Film Theatre) trying to find a book on films sorted by category. I wanted films which featured or included lobsters. Now of course with data scraping and other 'useful' features of AI,

"The world is my lobster" - Hilda Ogden from Coronation Street (TV series)

edited August 21

@Jeroen said:
    I was finally able to watch this… (The Boy and The Heron)

It surprised me a little with its mature tone, it wasn’t really aimed at kids, and there were moments that veered towards horror, like the giant parrot soldiers eating humans and the slaughtering room when Mahito was briefly captured. But then most of Miyazaki’s films feature some mature moments.

I thought it was a shame the Dutch distribution on Apple TV didn’t include the English sound track, I would have preferred it to the Japanese. I want to watch it a second time before seeing where it finally settles in my ranking of Ghibli films, but I think currently behind the big four (Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky) and probably behind Ponyo as well, seeing as how I really enjoyed watching that the other night.

I watched this deep-dive into the meaning of The Boy and The Heron on YouTube, and found it surprisingly cogent. The story really does seem to have a strong autobiographical meaning, taking in the life of Miyazaki and the nature of the succession to the directors chair at Studio Ghibli.

Well worth a watch if you’re interested in Studio Ghibli and their kind of movies.

Having considered the movie further, its meaning and its place as Miyazaki’s swansong about his oeuvre, I think there are surprising depths to the story and it is worth the Academy Award it got as Best Animated Feature. It is a mystical kind of movie… details like the Greatuncle figure being served by the parrots who have gotten out of hand, and the idea of the taint of evil in the Stones which make up Miyazaki’s animated worlds…

Just watched Lucy on Netflix

Just finished watching this on Netflix