Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New? Introduce Yourself to NB Members!

18910111214»

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora @Tasey ..Welcome :)

• PaisleySunshinePaisleySunshine Edmonton Ab New

Hi Everybody, nice to meet you.

About me.
    I decided at ten that I was not a Christian. It took me many years to find the path that agreed with what I believed. So began my life as a newbie for some time now.

In my life, evil has been an overriding theme from spending too much time with monsters to studying why and how a person becomes evil. Most importantly is there ways to change the momentum? I understand the Buddha counselled a couple of serial killers who developed compassion.

In 91 was diagnosed with PTSD, and about 4 months ago with DID. At this point I am reviewing everything I remember with this new framework. I got to say it makes a lot of sense and seems to present as described.

I now know that some of the challenges I have with practice are down to the continual assessment of the dissociation process.

Thanks for reading these words.

adamcrossleyShoshinlobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Welcome to our forum, @PaisleySunshine ...

AFAIK, we have one other member who may have a similar disorder, but for many complex reasons they don't come in much.
    I would add - if I may - that this forum deals specifically with addressing mental issues frtom a Buddhist perspective.
    There are a couple of members who have also endured, managed and lived with psychiatric/psychological/mental afflictions, and 'm sure they will support and contribute, but of course, none of us is medically qualified or professionally capable of offering a professional angle, here...

Be assured we do not judge, we do not condemn, we do not criticise, we do not differentiate, we do not disparage, we do not discriminate.

We offer opinion and comment giving Buddhist perspectives as we have learnt or understood them.

I hope you enjoy your time with us. :)

PaisleySunshinelobsterVastmindadamcrossley
  • QuidditchQuidditch Earth Explorer

Hi! I guess I should have posted here first.

I'm starting to get serious about my practice, and wanted to have a community that I could observe and participate in. I'm married to a non-denominational Christian pastor, and mom to an almost one year old. That limits my participation in real life community.

Glad to be here! I've been lurking for about a week.. might start to post more.

VastmindBunksShoshin
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Welcome @Quidditch

• QuidditchQuidditch Earth Explorer

Thank you @Bunks!

Welcome @FeistyGibblets (cool name!) - I am just across the border from you in Victoria.

Hope you find this site beneficial. Ask lots of questions and get involved.....it's a fun group of people here.

Is there any particular tradition or school you're interested in? I know Ajahn Brahm (Theravadan tradition) has a small community in Adelaide.

• SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

Hi @Bunks :)

I'm open to all traditions at this stage. I'm in Hahndorf.

Ah yes @FeistyGibblets! I've heard of it but not sure I've visited. The 90's were a bit of a blur...... :)

Might be worth checking out the group below....

https://buddhistsocietysa.org.au/#main

SuraShine
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@FeistyGibblets said:
    Namaste all,

I'm a working mum from South Australia. I'm an experienced meditator but only have a basic, superficial understanding of Buddhism. I'm not a big sports fan, but I'm a former gymnast and loved playing soccer (just local club level).

I'm looking to start attending a sangha and would like to learn some more online here as well.

Wonderful! Just start asking away, and we will do our best to come up with some answers...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Hello @FeistyGibblets nice to meet you!
    I'm a wannabe enthusiastic chef, and wish chickens were still sold with their...

oh...wait....

Sorry.
    Wrong giblets.

Ok, carry on regardless!

Welcome!

VastmindSuraShine

@Bunks said:
    Ah yes @FeistyGibblets! I've heard of it but not sure I've visited. The 90's were a bit of a blur...... :)

Might be worth checking out the group below....

https://buddhistsocietysa.org.au/#main

Thanks so much :)

Yes Hahndorf is one of those quaint historical places that you usually visit to go the German Pub there (awesome place btw) or you live in if your family are established there (guilty as charged LOL)

Bunks
  • I am a new practitioner of Jodo-shu. I've had the good fortune to have a very strange life thus far and find that I'd like a new framework with which to move forward.

Namu Amida Bu

ShoshinVastmind
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Hi @karasu and welcome! We hope you enjoy your stay :)

Welcome @karasu 🙏🙏🙏❤️❤️❤️

• FrogpondFrogpond California Explorer

Hi everybody. New here and new to buddhism. Not new to meditation. I have learned the TM meditation technique many years ago. Looking forward to learning more about buddhism.
    Kind wishes to all in these difficult times.

WalkerlobsterShoshinBunks
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Hello @Frogpond. Welcome

Frogpond
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Welcome, PaisleySunshine (like your name).
    I'm a 70-year old, practicing Buddhism with a local Lama/Geshe since 2000.
    Buddhism can be highly effective, but it is very slow. Don't be in a hurry.
    And the better you do your practices, the more inner results you will get.
    If you have no teacher, I would refer you to Theravadan Buddhism, which is designed for the solitary practitioner. And I would refer you to a book that I think is an excellent substitute for a live Theravadan teacher "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Bhante Gunaratana. I have seen it for sale on amazon and it is not an expensive book. I also highly recommend teachings (books or MP3 downloads or CD's) from Pema Chodron .. a Western Tibetan Buddhist nun, also previously a teacher, who has a knack for simplifying the path in ways we Westerners can wrap our heads around.
    Welcome to what should become a fascinating journey into yourself.

lobsterFrogpondShoshin

@Walker said:
    Hello @Frogpond. Welcome

Thank you @Walker. Good to meet you.

@Walker said:
    Hello @Frogpond. Welcome

Thank you @Walker. Good to meet you.

@FoibleFull said:
    Welcome, PaisleySunshine (like your name).

Who's PaisleySunshine...?

• wildflowerswildflowers Australia New

Hi! I’m new. My name is Kate. I am fairly new to buddhism. I do not follow a particular branch but I have been looking into Zen, Bon and Theravā and just buddhism concepts generally.

I find dharma talks very calming and helpful to my life and have recently starting using meditation for healing as well as general well-being. Buddhism has made such an important impact on my life and I would love to share in a community of other people passionate about it also.

Otherwise. I am Australian 37, a musician; I make calming ambient ‘spacey’ sometimes ‘noisy’ music, I love to collect music and vinyl records, studying horticulture, listening to fun podcasts, reading dystopian sci-fi/magical realism and cooking vegetarian meals.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the forums!

ShoshinBunks

Hello - again! Nice to meet you!
    (I'm wondering whether to warn you about our Village Idiot, @lobster... he is an idiot because he has far deeper wisdom than any of us have. And yet, he disguises it as madcap folly.
    Read between the lines. he will teach you much. And make you laugh, as he does....)

wildflowers
  • wildflowerswildflowers Australia New

Hi @federica! I posted generally first and then I realised there was this thread so thought, better to put it there. Thank you for the heads up. I will keep an eye out :)

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Read between the lines. he will teach you much.

Damn, tarnation and pink unicorns!

Was hoping to learn something for once ... 😲

Bunks

@lobster said:

Read between the lines. he will teach you much.

Damn, tarnation and pink unicorns!

Was hoping to learn something for once ... 😲

Unmasked, eh @lobster?

BunksWalkerShoshinlobster
    edited August 2020

I'm interested in why having your own mini-sangha with your wife would have both Pro's and Con's...
    Feel free to open a new thread. Maybe we can be supportive and offer input, if that's what you'd like. That's why we're all here. In it, together!

• @federica said:
    In it, together!

Exactly.
    I am constantly amazed how many nuances and subtleties others offer. Welcome. 💗😌🦞

Vastmind

welcome @ronflonflon =)<3

Vastmind

Welcome @Choephal I know a few dzogchen people, and without exception they are insightful and knowledgeable.

BunksWalkerlobster

@Choephal said:
    Hello. I thought about introducing myself with a wee joke, like “reasons to be Choephal” but the answer to that, is that is a Tibetan Dharma name. I am a Dzogchen follower. Not a grim faced exclusivist type, but an ecumenical non fanatical type.
    I am here to learn and exchange..🙂🙏🏻

Welcome @Choephal! Nice to meet you 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻❤️❤️❤️☀️☀️☀️

Walker
  • ChoephalChoephal UK Veteran

Thank you.🙏🏻

@LBArt23 said:
    I’ve been around with other usernames but have been away for a while, it’s good to be back. Hope everyone is having a great week.

Welcome! Hope you've been steering clear of those fires in your fine state?

• Welcome Baika! <3

• Love you all

We r loveable dharma tribe? Well I never ...
    Welcome to the new old. B)

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited September 2020

Hi @Baika . Nice to meet you. I was born and raised near you. Rockledge and Cocoa Beach. Still have a few family living in Melbourne.

@Vastmind said:
    Hi @Baika . Nice to meet you. I was born and raised near you. Rockledge and Cocoa Beach. Still have a few family living in Melbourne.

I used to live in Melbourne too.....the other one! 😀

Vastmind
  • LBArt23LBArt23 California New

@Bunks said:

@LBArt23 said:
    I’ve been around with other usernames but have been away for a while, it’s good to be back. Hope everyone is having a great week.

@Bunks said:

@LBArt23 said:

Thank you! Trying, air quality so bad I don't let my daughter come outside. Where do you reside?

edited September 2020

@LBArt23 said:

@Bunks said:

@LBArt23 said:

@Bunks said:

@LBArt23 said:

Thank you! Trying, air quality so bad I don't let my daughter come outside. Where do you reside?

I live just outside of Melbourne in Australia.

We had our own summer from hell earlier this year with bushfires.

Welcome @Whoknows - I live in Geelong. Just down the M1.
    Do you ever visit any temples or monasteries in and around Melbourne? We are blessed with many to choose from.

• Welcome @Littleleaf. Enjoy your stay.

Littleleaf

@Whoknows said:

I live just outside of Melbourne in Australia.

Cheers,
    WK

waves from South Australia